Now look what I've gotten myself into...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Now look what I've gotten myself into...

Post by eskin »

As if the pipes weren't difficult enough...

An opportunity came along to get a super-nice Tedrow anglo concertina, and I've been practicing like crazy for two weeks figuring it out from various tutorial videos, recordings, books, etc:

http://members.cox.net/eskin2/sport.mp3

Any other piper/concertina players in the group?

Cheers,

Michael
glands

Post by glands »

Mr Euritt, of the Bay area I believe, is a player of both. He also plays a K&Q C set and photos of his set in maple with horn mounts are on UilleannObsession.com.

Kynch O'Kaine is a lovely concertina player. Perhaps you would convince him to bring his 'tina to the SoCal tionol in October.

There is a young lady in Ireland, won't mention her name as is probably still under age, who is becoming quite a good piper and is a near virtuoso on concertina having been playing since age 4 or thereabouts.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Yes lad, concertina player here. Anglo only. I've tuned several concertinas to different configurations because I like the effect for different keys. I now play two row only 'tinas, becasue it fits my hands best. One is regular C/G. The other (my favorite) is D/G. Another is D/A (top rwo/bottom row). I actually play the concertina with my band about as much as the pipes. Some tunes just sound a whole lot better on another instrument besides the pipes, that's what inspired me. I also have an old Jones 3 row concertina. D/C/G. The top row of a regular 3 row is nearly in D already.

Don't get too carried away! Wondered where you'd been.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Something I have always wanted to learn, but never got around to. I have heard that it is nearly as addictive as UPs......be careful out there... :D
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Any other piper/concertina players in the group? " Michael E.

Yes, I started playing Irish trad. on a Wheatstone English, still have it stashed away, take it out now and then, but the pipes and more recently the flute demand most attention.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

You all need help! :boggle:
vanfleet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

pipes and 'tina

Post by vanfleet »

Pat Micthell plays both.
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

i don't play concertina, but i know bob tedrow, his shop is just over the hill from me. he does beautifull work and is quite a musician and a real character. sometimes he comes to a slow session we have first and third sundays.
good luck on a new instrument, ah addiction!
tansy :D
Last edited by tansy on Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
glauber

Re: Now look what I've gotten myself into...

Post by glauber »

eskin wrote:As if the pipes weren't difficult enough...

An opportunity came along to get a super-nice Tedrow anglo concertina, and I've been practicing like crazy for two weeks figuring it out from various tutorial videos, recordings, books, etc:

http://members.cox.net/eskin2/sport.mp3
It's a lovely sound, isn't it? You're doing great for just 2 weeks.

Concertina sound always reminds me of Grey Larsen.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Anyone play the accordian?
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

elbogo wrote:Anyone play the accordian?
You had to go there Jeff didn't you!? :cry:

Great stuff Michael. I'm first in line for the C K&Q set! ;)

Ah... Windy Miller :) Image

PD.
Harry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

elbogo wrote:Anyone play the accordian?
Anybody play the pipes?

For all the blood sweated over old sets, buying things, selling things, making reeds, cases, "my bore is bigger than your bore" etc. there is very little talked about how the fooking things can be played... some pipers I know would be better off with glass cases than flight cases to keep their multi-thousand dollar/euro antique sets in for all the music that's drawn out of them! :devil:

For what it's worth, I was once in a session where a very tasteful and well known accompaniest (who had been playing admirably all night) upped and left with the parting quip "This session is starting to sound like a f**king rusty bycicle!"... two more concertinas had joined the fray to augment the two or three already trying to outsqueak each other.

John Kelly snr. had a lovely way with that instrument. I heard some of his playing recently. A lot of it seems to have gone a bit tormented and violent sounding to my ear though, the things are being pushed too hard. Sounds like a number of rats being strangled intermittedly and them with a lungfull of helium in them. Maybe it was better off when it was a ladies kitchen/ parlour instrument. Tea?... Scone?... Concertina?

Noel Hill took no small amount of inspiration from the pipes of course as is evident in a lot of his playing, and that's quite on-topic! :party:

Regards,

Harry.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Accordians : What can I say other then it takes a special kind of person to play one , and a Saint to have to listen to the Fecking things.
I would rather poke myself in the eyes with hot pins then have to endure the sound of accordian(s) :x
billh

Post by billh »

Harry wrote: ... A lot of it seems to have gone a bit tormented and violent sounding to my ear though, the things are being pushed too hard.
Mebbe just fighting to be heard above yer flute playing! :D
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

One on it's own tastefully played(or not played) may be bearable for short periods of time