2¼ years of learning

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

2¼ years of learning

Post by Walden »

In my time on C&F I've . . .

• Learned of the existence of a Green Party.

• Heard (or read) the word vegan for the first time (second time, third time, etc.).

• Found out there are people even more left wing than H. Ross Perot.

• Met lots of interesting people.

• Learned that in some parts of the United States a paper sack is not called a paper sack.

• Still never seen Riverdance.

• Learned the term, feral cat.
Reasonable person
Walden
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Interesting post, Walden. I've thought of writing a similar one.

What I've learned on C&F...when I first found the website 2.5 years ago, I began learning:

That there are such things as high end whistles. Now I know the names Overton, Burke, Copeland, Humphrey, etc.

I've learned that you can usually make a cheapie playable by tweaking it, and I learned how to do it.

I've learned that tunes need to be learned by ear.

I've learned there is such a thing as ornamentation, and what it is and in a small way, how it works.

I've learned about great shops like the Whistle Shop and Whistle and Drum.

I've learned the difference between jigs, reels, hornpipes, and slow airs.

I've been introduced to many tunes that I might never had heard of, and learned them.

I've learned about groups called Lunasa, Danu, De Danann, Flook, Kila, and many others.

I've learned about artists such as Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Joe Burke, Declan Masterson, and countless others I had never heard of before.

I've learned much theory of Irish music from folks like Peter Laban, Bloomfield, StevieJ, TeriK, Chris Laughlin and Tony Higgins, just to name a few.

I've been introduced to many fine websites of all types that I'd never have found otherwise.

I've made many new friends throughout the US and Europe.

I've found much good humor here. It's been a long strange trip and I look forward to it continuing.
Last edited by blackhawk on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I learnt that if you shaved Azalin all over you could stuff an armchair.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I learn about all sorts of whistles, different keys, different brands

Foofaraw means excessive ornamentation, among other things

Scriabin (famous Russian composer around 1910) constructed the first "disco light"

Baroque tuning was quite a bit different from modern tuning (A was more like 420 back then as opposed to 440 today).

Session musicians are ______. I'd better not go there lest I hijack the thread :)

I learn about the Sony voice recorder from Eskin and have bought one. This device is more useful to me than any number of additional whistles, mics, mp3 players or other toys.
+ Bill
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Martin Milner wrote:I learnt that if you shaved Azalin all over you could stuff an armchair.
I learned that our cousins on the other side of the pond often write "learnt" when they actually mean "learned", as God intended it to be spellt. :lol:
Mike
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I learnt that if you shaved Azalin all over you could stuff an armchair.
And if you shaved MurphyStout's head, you could stuff Azalin. (shudders)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

What I've learned in three years on C&F:

No matter how much you try, you'll never learn about <B>all</B> of the excellent players out there, and you will always have people say, "How could you not know of them?"

Eventually you will not bat an eye at sending out purchased instruments while assuming $400 payments are in the mail - Chiffers are an honest bunch.

Get on an order list for the high end whistle you think you might like, even if you are a beginner. By the time it comes, you will either be sure that your tastes will match with its qualities, or you can sell it immediately and get the one that suits you best.

A Chiffer's living room can be a better place to stay the night than a four star hotel.

It's better to see Riverdance with some other whistlers, because it's amusing to watch them mock it.

One day you realise that people who were just 'one of the crowd' are unexpectedly your best friends.

Be aware of how you are presenting yourself online - not only are impressions lasting, but your comments can be cross referenced by anyone later on.

Dive into sessioning. You'll never be the same. This probably applies to just about anything in life.

Any gathering of 3 or more Chiffers rapidly devolves into quite an interesting and insane time.

Psychologists are crazy.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote:
Dive into sessioning. You'll never be the same. This probably applies to just about anything in life.
Try Quick Drying Cement.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Some things I've learned/learnt here:

-It's probably not a good idea to post when drinking bourbon.

-Time is not a constant, even flow, as my activities here have proved to me.

-The modem will disconnect while I'm composing a lengthy reply.

-I've learned/learnt to change my embouchure a gazillion times thanks to the flute forum.

-I now know the meaning of "pants".

-The revelation that the Scots are not alone in the preparation of The Haggis, as one of our Welsh Chiffers confessed.

-I CAN'T SKIP A DAY HERE WITHOUT JONESING!

(BTW, the modem disconnected as I composed this. See?)
jen f

Post by jen f »

I've learned that I don't have nearly enough whistles nor ITM CDs!
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

-The large river which surrounds my hometown on three sides, between the borders of Colorado and Oklahoma, is pronounced "Ar-KAN-ziss", and is much smaller up to the point where the Verdigris River flows in. What this has to do with C&F, I don't know.

-The South-Central U.S. is NOT a complete wasteland for whistlers (e.g. OK Whistles).

-(See above) NancyF ROCKS, and so do Kardshark, JayMitch, and John-N. :D

-No matter how good or lousy your whistle playing, there is always someone you can help out and someone else who can totally kick your butt, but that's OK. :)

-I am obligated to post a reply anytime the topic is Cherish the Ladies or any of its members.

-How to include fadas in a post (see below).

Sláinte,
Jim
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

-A psychologist is probably the best person to run a website dedicated to whistlers and other IRtrad enthusiasts.

-Not knowing the ins and outs of sessions can result in unflattering stories being told for generations.

-A whistle is not as simple as it looks and cost has little to do with making good music.

-A bodhran is not as cool as I thought it was.

-I have only had a miniscule sampling of the music that is out there.

-No question is too stupid... at least no one will point it out as being stupid.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Unison rocks.

Carol
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:)

With all of the above,I agree.
(And that saves a lot of typing...)

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I've learned that some of the nicest, kindest, most helpful people in the world have some of the craziest political, religious, and philosophical opinions in the world (meaning that they don't accord with my own), and that I'm better off simply ignoring that odd fact.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe