Cursing/Swearing without really Cursing/Swearing

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Pat Cannady wrote:Good looking? With a name like ADONIS?! He'd better be the biggest, toughest, meanest kind on the playground or he'll get his a$$ kicked every day. Children can be such vicious little sh!ts.
Adults aren't so innocent either!!!!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Stroll on.

Cheers!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

chas wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Although it must be said that "bollocks" is a jolly good epithet which fulfills many a need.
That's what I'm trying to use as my catch-all now that I have a 3-year old who's becoming pretty good at repeating things she's heard once. I picked it up from the great Diana Trent.

I'm surprised nobody's cited "tartar sauce," the multipurpose interjection from Spongebob.
A popular expression these days.

http://www.kontraband.com/main.asp?CAT=tvads

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Not really a curse word, but a phrase that gets the message across:

Take a long walk on a short pier! :moreevil:

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

For dismissives, I always like, "Run along, now, there's a good lad (or girl)", while making a brushing-off action with my hand. Very condescending. :D

Another one that's unmistakably more humorous is to make the brushing-off action with both hands while saying, "Whoosh...whoosh." They usually crack up or give me an odd look or both. Nevertheless, the meaning is clear.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Another one that's unmistakably more humorous is to make the brushing-off action with both hands while saying, "Whoosh...whoosh." They usually crack up or give me an odd look or both. Nevertheless, the meaning is clear.
That reminds me...I use the palm-out gesture, as in 'talk to the hand, the face ain't listening.' I learned a great kungfu-movie sound effect to go with it- the one where a guy throws a punch that whistles through the air before making a smacking impact. Verbally, it goes, 'whaaaa-pa-cheeee,' but with breathiness in place of the vowels. At home, I use the sound without the gesture. The meaning is unmistakeably dismissive. I got it from a fourth-grade kid in our neighborhood years ago.

Be sure and coordinate the movement with the sound: Wrist wind-up (as in 'wax on, wax off') (whaaa). Just as hand brakes at full arm extension: (pa-cheeee)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

For the kids, there's "Go play in traffic."

In Mandarin, for "beat it", they say "gun3", "roll", or "gun3 dan4", literally "roll egg". I think the latter means, "roll like an egg", although they do have an expression like the English "bad egg", and the "dan4" might be related to that.

Anyone know why Spanish has "Leche!" ("milk") as an (impolite?) exclamation? I recall learning that "Ese gato bebe leche" ("That cat drinks milk") wasn't a nice thing to say about a guy, but I don't think I ever found out why.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Blast. Drat. Zounds. Cripe(s). Jeez, Louise. Criminy. The devil, you say. Fer cryin' out loud. Strewth. Heck. Jumpin' Jehosaphat. Yompin Yiminy (Minnesota Swedish). Argh. Nuts. Dang. Darn. D'oh. Cheeses crisp. Mice Talcrighty.

Bummer.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Darwin wrote:Anyone know why Spanish has "Leche!" ("milk") as an (impolite?) exclamation? I recall learning that "Ese gato bebe leche" ("That cat drinks milk") wasn't a nice thing to say about a guy, but I don't think I ever found out why.
Not a linguist (and my Spanish has declined from "barely usable" over the years) but I seem to remember that was just part of the phrase - the whole thing meant somthing like "*** in your mother's milk". Not a phrase I normally use.

My Cantonese is worse than my Spanish, but I do know a little - and my wife was embarassed that I was able to translate her mother's vehement, all-purpose, "Gow Sai!" (Dog ***).

One occasionally heard from my Grandfather: "Christ on a pogo stick!"

Heard from my uncle, who was trying to teach my cousin to drive a tractor: "You drive like an old lady spreading manure!" (said in a tone of deep disgust)

Can't remember where I heard the classic "I'll introduce your parents, if they ever meet". But I'm pretty sure Robert Heinlein was responsible for "Your mother barks! Your sister gives green stamps!".
satyricon234

Post by satyricon234 »

TelegramSam wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:
A sad but true tale: Whilst shopping in the local supermarket over the weekend I heard a young mother scream at her mewling offspring (who was perhaps 4 years old and was shrill in his demands for sweets) "Adonis, will you shut the f*ck up!"
That's just stupid. I mean, first off, she named the kid <i>Adonis</i>. How can she expect him to be anything but spoiled? I sure as heck hope that kid grows up to be really good looking or he's going to get picked on something fierce...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And may I add, :lol:
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

My father's favourite - "Hell's bells and buckets o' blood".
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

"Cobblers"

...is another one I inherited from my father. Ranks right up there with its synonym 'bollocks' but is somewhat more polite.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:roll:
This site contains strong language so don't blame me if you are offended ( I have had PM's in the past from somebody who never posts anything but likes to hassle those who do!)

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/irish_gaeilge.htm

Slan,
D.
:lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

dubhlinn wrote::roll:
This site contains strong language so don't blame me if you are offended ( I have had PM's in the past from somebody who never posts anything but likes to hassle those who do!)

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/irish_gaeilge.htm

Slan,
D.
That was TOTALLY off topic, dubh!!! Shame on you! :o :boggle:

:D

TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

It even comes with replies:

'May you leave without returning.'
'I suppose a ride is out of the question.'
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”