Semi-OT: Percussion horse

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Semi-OT: Percussion horse

Post by BillChin »

Literally. At my monthly music group, a person has an adorable wood horse with flexible legs. The horse is about six inches high and is attached to a pole. It comes with a flat wood sounding board. To make it go, the horse is dangled above the board and vibrate the board underneath the horse, or wave the pole, or jiggle the legs.

I asked about the horse after the meeting. It is designed primarily for accompanying clog dancers. Mostly the designs are people, with an occasional bear, horses being exceeding rare. The horse accompanied a lap dulcimer and brought a smile to everyone's face. I have never seen anything like it, and an Internet search turns up nothing similar, nothing on Google, nothing on eBay.

I wish I had a picture. The basic concept is a wood horse with flexible jointed legs and a flat board for the horse to sound on. Too cool for words.
+ Bill
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Yes. I grew up with such a thing--a little man with painted on overalls whose aptitude for keeping time with the music varied based on who is tapping his dancing board. He still lives with my parents.
This type of thing is most likely available somewhere where handcrafted folk art is sold.
Last edited by emmline on Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:)
This type of dancing doll is mentioned in the well known song "Whisky on a Sunday" The Dubliners do a nice version, as do the very underestimated English band The Spinners.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

emmline wrote: This type of this is most likely available somewhere where handcrafted folk art is sold.
It's also available here.I am woodcarver and have made many of various types of folk toys.PM if you are interested.I guess this would count as my one ( and so far only) commercial post :)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I used to know a couple of people who played those. They're called "stick jacks."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Also known as "limberjacks", though I've only seen them in the shape of people.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

toughknot wrote:
emmline wrote: This type of this is most likely available somewhere where handcrafted folk art is sold.
It's also available here.I am woodcarver and have made many of various types of folk toys.PM if you are interested.I guess this would count as my one ( and so far only) commercial post :)
Toughnot,

That's really Kool!!! Do you have any pictures of ones you have made? I have been looking for one of the little horses. By the way, Where in PA are you?

Bill,

Check out this site. Here are some examples of some really old ones.

http://www.lotzdollpages.com/ldance.html

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Sorry no pictures.I have sold all I have made so don't have any on hand to photograph at present.I'll get started on one tomorrow and will post a pic as soon as it's done.If anyone is interested please pm or email me as I dont want to abuse the purpose of this board. I live in south central Pa. 20 mins. south of York, Pa. Anyone accepting whistle students in this area? :D
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

toughknot wrote:Sorry no pictures.I have sold all I have made so don't have any on hand to photograph at present.I'll get started on one tomorrow and will post a pic as soon as it's done.If anyone is interested please pm or email me as I dont want to abuse the purpose of this board. I live in south central Pa. 20 mins. south of York, Pa. Anyone accepting whistle students in this area? :D
Thats great! I am not too awfully far from you, but I don't teach whistle. I live about 30 minutes south of Altoona. Look for a PM from me. :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

I have been enjoying reading your posts.It's nice to meet ya :)
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Thanks for all the replies. I am tempted to try and roll my own, despite limited experience working with wood. I found a couple of links with sketchy information. One has info on other folk instruments to make at home. For certain people these would be fun projects even if the sound quality suffers.

http://web.mvesc.k12.oh.us/webquest.asp?fileID=133

http://home.fuse.net/russchilders/activity.html
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Try the local library as well.When I started woodcarving about 12 years ago I was very broke and was unable to purchase any books on the subject ( and there are hundreds of them).So I checked out the libray and was suprised to find some very good material on carving and making traditional folk toys.The Foxfire series is very interesting. Getting wood at the time was costly so I used found wood and tore apart hardwood skids.
I'm sure you'll do well. A man that can wrestle music out of those pipes should have no trouble making a limberjack!
carrie

Post by carrie »

My little band uses one in the shape of a dog. Here's a clip from Free Little Bird.

I love the sound.

Carol
Colin

Post by Colin »

dubhlinn wrote::)
This type of dancing doll is mentioned in the well known song "Whisky on a Sunday" The Dubliners do a nice version, as do the very underestimated English band The Spinners.

Slan,
D.
Dubhlinn,

I was curious about your remark that the Spinners were
underestimated. How so? I saw them many times on TV in Britain
in the 60's and 70's and found them no more talented than scores of folk
groups that plied their trade in the bars and folk clubs of the time.
I always reckoned their fame derived from the fact they were one of the
first to get national exposure on TV and Radio.

Colin
BoneQuint

Re: Semi-OT: Percussion horse

Post by BoneQuint »

BillChin wrote:I wish I had a picture. The basic concept is a wood horse with flexible jointed legs and a flat board for the horse to sound on. Too cool for words.
Something like this? $15 at Andy's Front Hall.