the "best bang for the buck" in whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

the "best bang for the buck" in whistles

Post by blackhawk »

Twelve days ago I sent an email to Erle, maker of Syn whistles, ordering a mouth piece and 3 whistle bodies, in C, Bb and A. He charges $30 for the fipple, and $5 for each different body, so this was a total of $45, plus he charges $5 for shipping. I got the package yesterday and much to my surprise, he had thrown in a B and an E for no extra charge. And more to my surprise, he had thrown in a whistle case that holds 5 whistles! It's made of soft cloth and has a compartment for each whistle. Beyond that, I've spent some time today with the C and the B (haven't had time for the rest yet) and I'm totally impressed with the quality. The sound is on par with a quiet Burke, but the cost is about one fourth of a Burke. I'm not knocking Burke at all, I have 3 of them and love them, but I'm totally impressed with these Syns. The only caveat for some is that they are very quiet whistles, but that's all right by me.
Last edited by blackhawk on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Good for you Blackhawk,sounds as if you got a good deal,I hope you enjoy them....as I'm sure you will :D
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jen f »

I thought I'd read reviews before that said Syn whistles were loud. Has he changed the design recently?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Hi Jen!

He has indeed; I have both an early model and a late model Syn. I'll start bringing them to session, you can compare and contrast.

His early model is about on a par with a Susato as for volume, and has a lot of resistance. His later work is quieter, has a smoother, purer sound, and somewhat less resistance, reducing the volume in the 2nd octave.

He makes good whistles, and they do represent a lot of whistle for the money.

--James
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I tried one that Norcal brought to the Chiff Gathering. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Steve) It was an ironwood and it sounded excellent. Average sound volume, as best I could tell. Looked really nice, too.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

TonyHiggins wrote:I tried one that Norcal brought to the Chiff Gathering. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Steve) It was an ironwood and it sounded excellent. Average sound volume, as best I could tell. Looked really nice, too.
Tony
Yes, that was a Syn Ironwood. Very nice, focussed sound and medium loudness. It felt great in the hands too, not too heavy and easy to find the finger holes, at least for me and my playing style/skill level.

I understand that Erle has changed the mouthpiece area on his wooden whistles. I have a lancewood on the way and am looking forward to seeing how it has developed.

Just for the record, the whistles that Blackhawk mentioned are metal tubes, not wooden.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

NorCalMusician wrote:
Just for the record, the whistles that Blackhawk mentioned are metal tubes, not wooden.
Ah, thanks, Norcal, I had forgotten he also made wooden ones. What woods does he use? And do you happen to know how much he charges for those?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have forwarded this thread to Erle and will defer to him for an answer.

The only woods that I know about are Ironwood and Lancewood.

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Steve,

how was the Lancewood, then?
I was at a site w/pics, and it looked great. But how does it play and sound?
Tell ussssss....
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

Eivind wrote:Steve,

how was the Lancewood, then?
I was at a site w/pics, and it looked great. But how does it play and sound?
Tell ussssss....
Would if I could. I have never had a lancewood syn. Mine is on the way still. The ironwood I described above though.

syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

I'm afraid the source of Ironwood turned out to be unreliable, but have plenty of Brown Lancewood of excellent quality in stock. I'm using it to make both D & C whistles. A couple of wooden whistles did a tour through the GX's board, and there are some reviews in that place. I have made a small change to their construction since then, but Norcal, both your whistles are in the mail as we speak, and you should be in a good position very soon to give us a comparison between the Aluminium Syn and the Lancewood whistle. Sorry though, Mr Blackhawk got the last whistle bag and I preferred to post your order when the whistles were ready rather than hold them until the bags were done. I'l catch you up on that later.
So good it has to be a SYN!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I have Uilleann pipes in Red Lancewood. Nice graining, color and machines (turns) well.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Wow, that is a good deal. I have a syn, the first nice whistle I owned. Fantastic sound and response, but I don't play it much. The layout of the holes puts the 4th and 5th a bit too close together, which is sort of annoying. My fingers rub together. Funny, when I play an F gen, all my fingers rub together sort of, but since they all do uniformly, it doesn't seem to bother me.
I have been on a Bb kick lately though. I hadn't thought of a Bb syn. I bet it's good.
But I do have a couple of woa's in line ahead of it. If I can ever get the dang child support checks straightened out.........
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I suspect a Syn (or several) probably is the best bang for a buck around at the moment. I only own one of the earliest prototype high Ds which Erle sent me at the very beginning of the development phase. I liked it a lot then and said at the time that it seemed rather like a Burke in sound, although not in feel. Certainly it was a lot closer to a Burke in quality than it was in price.

I think there have probably been several phases of improvement since I received mine but I've been reluctant to send it back for tweaking since I rather like it the way it is. This thread prompted me to get it out again yesterday and I like it even better now than I did back then.

I've been meaning for ages to contact Erle for a batch of unusual keys. I'm sure the Syns will do the jobs I want them to do just fine which is great since I couldn't afford to buy Burkes, Sindts, Overtons or Abells in every key. But at these prices it will be hard to leave out keys.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, there is at least one other whistle I like to mention when "bang for the buck" comes up: Oak.

Now Oak and Syn are much different whistles, with a completely different sound.

An Oak is more like the best of the Generations, with a lot of chiff between notes, yet pure and sweet sound and well-balanced octaves. At about $12 UDS these also represent terrific bang for the buck in my opinion.

Some folks have written about the "poisen Oak" syndrome that makes your lips tingle; I've had 3 D Oaks and 1 C and none of them did this, but possibly I'm not not sensitive to it and others are. The quality from whistle to whistle has been consistent among the Oaks I own.

To me Oaks have response and sound more similar to high-end whistles than any of the other inexpensive whistles except maybe Clare or a good Generation when you can find one..

--James