On Giving the Finger...or **uck ....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

On Giving the Finger...or **uck ....

Post by MarkB »

Our modern day flip ain't so modern, got this from another person bored at work.

Giving the Finger

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future.

This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew"). Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew! "PLUCK YEW!" Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

And yew thought yew knew everything.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
dlovrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlovrien »

If the story was true it would be a lot more interesting.

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.htm

David
Gallus ITM Band Website
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Ya, I know, but I'm waiting for my tent to dry to pack it.

What got the French mad at Agincourt, was when the French lords and knights were dehorsed and couldn't move with all the armour in the mud, the English infantry came out and slaughtered them.

Which went against the rules of chivarly at that time.

By the way David, you got a lovely website with some get sound clips and great band name.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Jack

Post by Jack »

We decided to spell it ghuck.

Ask Alan.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I thought it went back to Roman times. I'll have to check my sources. I've always had a suspicion the above story is apocraphal.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Just a few points.
The gesture supposedly originating with the archers is the "two finger salute" which until recently was much more common in England than the middle finger version.
The French did indeed threaten to mutilate archers by both cutting off the said fingers and gouging out their eyes thus condeming them to a slow lingering death if they couldn't make it back to their own army or to lifelong poverty and beggary if they could. There are a few recorded instances of this being carried out but in the main it was terror propaganda aimed at making archers unwilling to get too far forward in the battle formation.
Forget notions of mediaeval chivalry. The taking of prisoners was purely a business matter. Most of the criticism of Henry for killing the prisoners after Agincourt came from his own knights and men-at-arms who could see their valuable assets vanishing. In fact Henry had to get the archers, who would not have received any ransom money, to do the job.
Most of the much vaunted English archers were in fact Welsh.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If you flip yourself off, so to speak, and look at this hand symbol it sort of looks like an erect central part with rounded protuberances on either side of the base. A sort of visual onomatopoeia...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

brewerpaul wrote:If you flip yourself off, so to speak, and look at this hand symbol it sort of looks like an erect central part with rounded protuberances on either side of the base. A sort of visual onomatopoeia...
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

dlovrien wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:If you flip yourself off, so to speak, and look at this hand symbol it sort of looks like an erect central part with rounded protuberances on either side of the base. A sort of visual onomatopoeia...
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

I like the phrase..."I'll give you the one fingered salute!"....

I'm going to act like a bear now...'Where's my beer!!"

Is it Miller time yet????

In cubicle hell today,
Nancy
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm in a 5 family carpool, toting kids ages 9-12 to school. I was a little taken aback to hear that one day, when the mom of the only girl was driving, she encouraged all 5 kids to "salute" a driver who'd cut her off. Interesting thing to promote to kids who are already a bit wack.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

I had heard that the pluck word (if you catch my drift) was an acronym. Something about carnal knowledge.

I never believed that, but it seems more probable than that "pluck yew" scenario.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Main Entry: pluck
Pronunciation: 'p&k
Function: verb
Etymology: akin to Dutch plokken to breed (cattle), Swedish dialect plokka to copulate
intransitive senses
1 usually obscene : COPULATE -- sometimes used in the present participle as a meaningless intensive
2 usually vulgar : MESS 3 -- used with with
transitive senses
1 usually obscene : to engage in coitus with -- sometimes used interjectionally with an object (as a personal or reflexive pronoun) to express anger, contempt, or disgust
2 usually vulgar : to deal with unfairly or harshly : CHEAT, SCREW
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:roll:
Oh the praties they are small over here,over here.
Oh the praties they are small over here.
The praties they are small
but we ate them skin and all,
for it's better than pluck all
Over here,over here
Oh it's better than pluck all over here.

Traditional Irish Prayer.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats

Post by Guest »

The word came from a Germanic root. Today we use the word 'people' as they would have used the word 'folk'. Slightly obscure but not byond the average person's imagination is the verb.