St. Patrick's Day

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gemm84
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gemm84 »

Gig??? I WISH I had a gig. Heck, I wish I had a freakin band.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Same here.

Enjoy the train ride,
Sara
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

An Irish band isn't all that, you know :smile: We have a saying..."What do you call a folk musician without a girlfriend?" "homeless" :smile:

Greg
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

An hour long gig at a going away party Friday, then a "serious" St. Pat's gig (how's that for an oxymoron?) for three hours saturday night at the Catholic school, complete with corned beef, cabbage, and green punch no doubt.

By the way, our band's name has evolved considerably since we started playing together. We're currently considering "Ridalin" since we all have pretty short attention spans...Dale, would that get us into any copyright problems?

Tom "Why Am I Not In Bed" W.
JimmyM

Post by JimmyM »

NancyF, do you hear tune sets the same way as you'd put a patchwork quilt together? What does an 'Ohio Star' or a 'Log Cabin' sound like?
Good luck with your gig - so that's what you mean by *working* in a quilt shop :smile:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Anyone playing in Cork? 'cos that's where I'm gonna be on St Paddy's Day.

JessieK, so lovely to see you posting again, I missed your posts for the past few weeks!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

On 2002-03-13 03:04, JimmyM wrote:
NancyF, do you hear tune sets the same way as you'd put a patchwork quilt together? What does an 'Ohio Star' or a 'Log Cabin' sound like?
Jimmy, I do find interesting similarities in the naming of tunes and quilt blocks or quilt patterns. They are both great examples of folk naming systems. Names change when someone reinvents an existing pattern or tune, when a tune or pattern name is forgotton, or when a slight variation is named on its own.

As for working at the quilt shop, you're right, it is mostly for fun rather than money. :smile:
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Thanks, Martin.

:smile:
Squeezer

Post by Squeezer »

Our group, "Batteries Not Included", is doing a charity fund-raiser at a local church dinner on Sat. Mar 16th. We don't get paid, but we get all the Corned Beef & Cabbage we can handle :>) Playing for about three hours.
Blarney Pilgrim

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

Playing at a local community college on Friday as part of their music series.

<br> Steve
Mastersound

Post by Mastersound »

Hey Sara! My daughter gave me a copy of Drums of Jupiter. It's brilliant!
nickt

Post by nickt »

This thread has prompted me to ask a question to solve a mystery I've never understood:

Why is Paddy's Day celebrated all over the world (including in my two home towns, London and Sydney), but not in Ireland?
boj9

Post by boj9 »

Why is Paddy's Day celebrated all over the world (including in my two home towns, London and Sydney), but not in Ireland?
I'm just guessing, but I assume that the Irish have been honoring their Patron Saint on his feast day for the last millenium and half the way good Catholics are supposed to:
Go to church
Light a candle
Say the Rose (Ave, Marie...)
Buy a Pagan Baby (does anyone else remember that one?)

I think we Irish-Americans can take credit for the Eat-CornedBeef-Have-a-parade-and-drink-yourself-sick innovation that has helped to sell the holiday world-wide.
And I have heard that they have been running parades and such in Ireland lately, so who know?

bye
Bill
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Wow.
To tell the truth, this year, suprisingly, I don't have a gig on St. Patrick's Day.

Last year I did, but then the guy who I played with(and who got me to do it) isn't playing this year, so I wasn't asked.

I'm actually not dissapointed or anything... In fact, I'm quite glad. I probably won't be asked to play 'Danny Boy' or 'My Wild Irish Rose' 20 million times! That, and I'll be very, very busy in May which will "make up for it" :grin: .

I find that gigs kind of "travel in groups..."
You may not have one for a long time, and then WHAMMMOOO! all at once.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Gig??? I WISH I had a gig. Heck, I wish I had a freakin band.
Band??? I wish I had a freakin whistle. Or a freakin clue.

Clue??? I wish I had a point. (shut up about the top of my head.)

I'll (uninvited) play my whistle at my family's annual St Patrick's Day dinner. If they don't appreciate it, I'll pull out the banjo for good measure. Yeah, that'll learn 'em. Later, I'll play with a small band, Tinker's Damn, (sorry for cussing) at McGrath's Pub in Alameda, CA. We've invited our session gang to attend an hour after we start to take up the slack. (This will allow more time for swallowing dark colored drinks- which I hope to not have to pay for. My needs are modest.) I'm planning on sticking my neck out and playing Bucks of Oranmore at a quick clip accompanied by an accelerating bodhran player. (I've warned him several times about that.) He assures me he'll be cool.

So, I guess we're doing this in honor of St. Patrick, patron saint of bar owners. Have fun and drive safely.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”