Beer and Whistles!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Beer and Whistles!!

Post by Whistling Willie »

Is it just me or does everyone have this problem.Usually when I go out I take one of my whistles with me,more often than not I would partake in a few alcoholic beverages (just to be sociable).With one or two drinks I play fine,with three or four I seem to get better,but then from there on in it goes down hill :boggle: to the point where I can't even start a tune :oops: . Now I'm not talking about 15 pints of Guinness or anything like that,it just seems to be that after a certain stage that's it.
A friend of mine actually gets better as the night goes on :x
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

Well I've never put this to the test with a whistle (only been playing a short while and never been to any sort of session) but I've always noticed a drop of ability when playing the flute (which I've been at for a few years now) after only one beer :oops: My fingers seem to start to stumble (more than usual :) ) and I very soon find it best to give up. As a result I've never tried to play after more than 2 beers. It just seemed not to work for me. :sniffle:

EDIT: Oh I just remembered I did try once after quite a few wines and some jollying along by my family ... a complete rout is probably the best description and I can see why I banished it from memory :o
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Yeah, with the third Guinness my fingers forget the notes. I might as well sit out the rest of the night.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

Alcohol is very toxic to the human body.Luckily the human body is capable of some self repair.It eventually is permanatly damaged by high volume consumption though.Kinda like adding a bottle of Draino to the cars gas tank every few days.But Stout tastes better. :party:
trisha

Post by trisha »

Living in a rural area, I have to drive pretty much everywhere to sessions etc, so never go past the second drink. There are a lot of hills and bends, and to lose my license would be disastrous.

Also, with the band, it's not worth the risk, although "our leader", a fiddler, improves measurably after her second glass of wine :D

So...I feel I get better as the evening wears on...relatively to some others, and to the ears of those part-slumped over their instruments.

It's strange, music provides the buzz that alcohol maybe did once :)

Trisha
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i drink 5 and a half pints of guinness every night, but i couldn't drink more than that, so i can't get drunk.
if i can't play whistle after 4 pints won't bother me at all, i'll be singing anyway :lol:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Despite my screen name, I'm a real lightweight when it comes to drinking: more than two and I'm likely to doze off, so I've never had the opportunity to see how I'd play a whistle with more than that in my belly :lol:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

After a few pints I tend to get a bit silly, trying to start polka sets all the time, and refusing to end them again, for instance.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that while those pints make me feel like Matt Molloy on one of his better days, in reality my playing might just be a wee bit sloppier than his. :-D

/Jens
moxy

Post by moxy »

Wow, I was thinking about that combination (whistles and beer) just this morning on my way to work (as I was listening to the East Durham foofaraw).

I've decided that if there's any chance that I might be drinking and getting carried away, I really should leave my whistle at home... There's no point in even trying to play after three pints! :lol:
glauber

Post by glauber »

I don't know... after i partake of a couple pints, it seems to me that the playing of everybody else in the session improves dramatically!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

This is a topic that I've wondered about quite a bit too. I can usually manage after one and will still play after two, but three and beyond and I really can't play very well any more.

Although, I have found a scheme that seems to work (assuming you'd like to drink more pints and still play). Alternate pints of beer with cups of coffee. This seems to work for me. Or, skip the beer altogether and just have cups of coffee with a bit of Irish whisky in them.

-Brett

:party:
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Right around my 6 Black & Tan everything I play on the whistle sounds fantastic and its time to cut an album....LOL :lol:

On a serious note...I drink one to two Bass or Guinness when I play which is almost every night. After a while my fingers just start floating over the whistle. I also tend to play a heck of a lot louder with a pint or two.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I like to have a couple of drinks sometimes when I play but I find that beer makes me burp to much and I don't have the breath control. A good glass of whiskey or scotch seems to do the trick without the interruptions.
"You have my undivided attention"
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

'Beer and Whistles' sounds like a recipe for a happy life! :D
Or it could be a band name - Celtified 'Guns 'n' Roses' anyone???
or the name of an 'Oirish' Pub!!!

Keith-You probably do play louder when you've had a few-Alchohol consumption affects the hearing-which is why pubs tend to get noisier as the patrons get sloshed!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Bretton wrote:This is a topic that I've wondered about quite a bit too. I can usually manage after one and will still play after two, but three and beyond and I really can't play very well any more.

Although, I have found a scheme that seems to work (assuming you'd like to drink more pints and still play). Alternate pints of beer with cups of coffee. This seems to work for me. Or, skip the beer altogether and just have cups of coffee with a bit of Irish whisky in them.

-Brett

:party:
I'm glad that it's not just me :D though I might have to try the Irish coffee.....just to see if it works or not :D