Synwhistle Bagpipe recording

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caniadafallon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by caniadafallon »

Bloomfield wrote: Maybe it's a good idea for all of us to read posts rather than divine intentions. :)

It's this new tarot deck... I knew there was something slightly off with it.

:-D

~Ad

Edited to add: Though, Bloom, I wasn't initially speaking of your post. I have re-read the thread, and I would have to say that the other were not terribly clear as to their intentions, hence my misunderstanding. But, I still see that I should have asked for clarification rather than assuming. You know what they say about that... :-P
Last edited by caniadafallon on Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
glauber

Post by glauber »

John S wrote:Thats almost as badly out of tune as the average GHB practice chanter.
In the low notes, especially. I was wondering about this, what makes this apparently so hard to control? Is it the reed? Maybe (and i'm guessing here) low air pressure comared to the UP?

Maybe it just takes time. Try again in a couple of years or so. :)

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

James,that's sounds like me in my first month(s) of playing my Uilleann Pipes practice set.
I challenge ANYONE to knock a newbie Piper of any persuation until they have tried to play themselves.
They are surely the Devil's instrument-but are the sound of Celtic Heaven in the hands of an accomplished player. :wink:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

glauber wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:And I particularly made a point of thanking Jim. Would be nice to see that acknowledged once in a while.
Sure! Thanks for thanking him!

g
And thank you, Glauber, for thanking Bloomfield for thanking Jim!

:)
TomB

Post by TomB »

Daryl wrote:
glauber wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:And I particularly made a point of thanking Jim. Would be nice to see that acknowledged once in a while.
Sure! Thanks for thanking him!

g
And thank you, Glauber, for thanking Bloomfield for thanking Jim!

:)
You're very welcome. Thank you!

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Nobody even brakes for Bloomfield anymore. :cry:
/Bloomfield
glauber

Post by glauber »

kevin m. wrote:James,that's sounds like me in my first month(s) of playing my Uilleann Pipes practice set.
I challenge ANYONE to knock a newbie Piper of any persuation until they have tried to play themselves.
They are surely the Devil's instrument-but are the sound of Celtic Heaven in the hands of an accomplished player. :wink:
Didn't Mr Syn post a couple of samples of his playing?

g
--Wellsprings--
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bloomfield wrote:Nobody even brakes for Bloomfield anymore. :cry:
...as long as they aren't stepping on the gas, you're doing ok.

Hope all is well.

All the Best,

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
glauber

Post by glauber »

Here are the samples i was thinking about: Yow! wav files!

To my untrained ears, these sound more like GHP than UP. Maybe because it's played off the knee?

I think the intonation control is better, though maybe not perfect. Mr Syn makes UPs, right? So presumably he plays them too?

g
--Wellsprings--
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

glauber wrote:Here are the samples i was thinking about: Yow! wav files!

To my untrained ears, these sound more like GHP than UP. Maybe because it's played off the knee?

I think the intonation control is better, though maybe not perfect. Mr Syn makes UPs, right? So presumably he plays them too?

g
i ain't gonna buy it.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The intonation is not good; however I am not good with this instrument yet, which may be a large part of the problem.

This is not a Uilleann Pipe set, neither is it even remotely kin to GHB. They have a one-octave diatonic range, and use a very non-traditional sort of reed arrangement, albeit a very clever and unique one.

The real beauty of this is the price. For the price of a couple of tanks of gas (or petrol, trying to bear in mind we're an international forum :) ), you can get a one-octave bagpipe, that, however hard it is to control the intonation, will actually play.

I consider that pretty damn amazing.

I wish I'd have had one of these when I was a kid! :twisted: :party:

--James
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Hi James,
many thanks for posting the clip. I think you have captured the spirit of these little pipes in your comments, cheap to get into and fun to play. There were some nice passages in the clip, but I understand the comments about keeping the intonation level. One suggestion perhaps could be to increase the reed pressure a little. This takes a little more arm control but brings the pipes more into tune across the scale if you think that is a problem, and the extra arm pressure helps with consistency.
Perhaps they would be better called synfunpipes to help dispel any preconceptions about what these things are.
Thanks again!
So good it has to be a SYN!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

syn whistles wrote: Perhaps they would be better called synfunpipes to help dispel any preconceptions about what these things are.
Thanks again!
SynFunPipes - I like it. I can say you have never intentionally promoted these as competition for and "real" set of pipes. All pipes sound funny to me, like someone trying to whistle with their nose all plugged up. :boggle:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus