unusual ice creams

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Walden wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: Walden,
What were you looking for when you came across this link.......?
Actually, I was looking for information on the history of ice cream flavors, rocky road, in particular.
:lol: :lol:

Ye know,I was wondering what rocky road was since I saw it a few days ago in another thread.Small world!

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

dubhlinn wrote:
Walden wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: Walden,
What were you looking for when you came across this link.......?
Actually, I was looking for information on the history of ice cream flavors, rocky road, in particular.
:lol: :lol:

Ye know,I was wondering what rocky road was since I saw it a few days ago in another thread.Small world!

Slan,
D.
If you still haven't found a description, Rocky Road is chocolate ice cream with chopped nuts (usually walnuts) and small marshmallows mixed in.

This is starting to feel like a tune: The Rocky Road to Dubhlinn :D

Of the asian ice cream flavors, I like mango, durian, green tea, and red bean the most. I also like the various "mochi" ice cream treats (a layer of a chewy pounded-rice confection surrounding a small ball of ice cream).

Seafood-flavored ice cream is just wrong. :o
moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by moxy »

For any health-nuts out there (pardon the pun, I think...) have you ever tried the Tofutti brand? The best flavor, I garantee, is Vanilla Almond Bark.

Try it. You won't regret it.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

glauber wrote:My favourite ice cream place in Brazil had cheese ice cream. Very nice.

Iron Chefs was/is a crazy cooking program from Japan, where they have this enormous stadium (The Ktchen Stadium or Kitchen Arena or something) and they stage cooking competitions between their champions (the Iron Chefs) and guest chefs. It was huge in Japan, and started being a cult craze in the US. I think the original series ended, but they still show the reruns in the Food Network cable channel.

A truly mad program. Kaga was the over-the-top Liberace-style chairman. There was always a secret ingredient, and each chef had to prepare as many dishes as possible using that ingredient, in 60 minutes. The winner was picked by a panel of weirdos.

There were 4 iron chefs: Japanese, Chinese, French and Italian, named after the kind of food they specialized in.

The whole thing was staged like a sports competition, including sports-style commentary.

g
Even though they are no longer making episodes, there are "new" episodes still trickling in because they have a large amount of them waiting for translation.

On the subject of wierd ice cream flavors:

I live in a town once dominated by a Stienfeld's saurkraut (sp?) factory. They make all sorts of great things like pickles and relish, too. Our town, however, was blessed with the pickled cabbage.

Each year, people would gather for a magnificant festival honoring Scappoose's chief export. The "Saurkraut Festival," as it was known, featured artisans' booths, pig racing, carnival-style games, and, of course, saurkraut.

I have to go eat dinner. My point is there was [[[[saurkraut ice cream]]]] there. The plant closed a few years ago and now we hold a "Scappoose Festival." The Saurkrautian culture still pervades it.

edit: is pervades a word? I'm having a 3:00 moment here...
Last edited by happyturkeyman on Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

You can find garlic ice cream at several spots in the Gilroy, California area (Gilroy being the "Garlic Capital of the World"). I still haven't been able to bring myself to try it.

We have a huge container of green tea ice cream out in the freezer, retrieved before the sale of the kids' Korean restaurant.

I'm surprised the Japanese haven't done anything with nashi (Asian pear).

I got heavily into ice cream making a couple of years back. My granddaughter's big favorite was peanut butter, but I particularly liked lime and sour cream--with lots of fresh lime juice and zest from the peels.

I've always thought that cilantro might make an interesting ice cream. Maybe I'll make a batch, since I have a bunch growing out in the garden.

There's some talk about our moving to the Dallas area, in which case ice cream will gain a lot of appeal, which it lacks here in the land of eternal coolth.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Oh, if we're doing weird flavors: San Jose is about 20 miles north of Gilroy, which bills itself as the "Garlic Capitol of the World".

They have a Garlic Festival every year, with booths selling every kind of food you can imagine (and many you can't) made with garlic. Including garlic ice cream and garlic wine. I love garlic, and most of the food at the festival is really good, but those two have no good reason to exist.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

DCrom wrote:Of the asian ice cream flavors, I like mango, durian, green tea, and red bean the most. I also like the various "mochi" ice cream treats (a layer of a chewy pounded-rice confection surrounding a small ball of ice cream).
Yeah, mango ice cream's okay. I lived for a few years in Davao, durian capital of the world. Don't recall having it in ice cream, but I liked some of the candies and tarts. I couldn't stand durian straight, though my father developed a taste for it. We rejoiced heartily when some quack allergist told him he was allergic to the stuff. Stick a fresh durian in the refrigerator and it flavors everything, including the ice in the freezer!
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Darwin wrote:I got heavily into ice cream making a couple of years back. My granddaughter's big favorite was peanut butter, but I particularly liked lime and sour cream--with lots of fresh lime juice and zest from the peels.
My parents always made Butterfinger ice cream when I was a kid. I never cared for Butterfingers, but my mother had picked up the recipe when she was growing up from somebody in their church, I think. It was just homemade vanilla ice cream with crushed Butterfingers in it, not entirely unlike a Braum's Mix, Sonic Blast or Dairy Queen Blizzard. I just don't have use for Butterfingers.

... peanut butter and corn flakes in a "chocolatey coating." :roll:
Reasonable person
Walden
deanehawkins

Post by deanehawkins »

I like Maine Black Bear

My wife prefers Moose Tracks
john swinton
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

If I could, for every night I would have noodle ice cream with a scoop of chicken wing ice cream on the side. :boggle:

I want it !!!!!!!! :swear:
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol:
moxy

Post by moxy »

Dairy Queen blizzard...... mmmmmmmmmmm

Too bad there isn't a DQ near me... I'm drooling at the thought of a blizzard... That new one they're advertising looks delicious - what is it, fudge brownie batter or something?
Steven

Post by Steven »

A friend of mine makes a ginger ice cream (using LOTS of fresh ginger) that's just to die for. Absolutely fantastic stuff!

:-)
Steven
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Steven wrote:A friend of mine makes a ginger ice cream (using LOTS of fresh ginger)
I'd never thought of it, but that does sound really good.
Reasonable person
Walden
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

It said on the website that the Japanese are constantly trying to improve western things...including ice cream. I understand it is a joke and suppose to be a creative intro, but I think the first form of ice cream came from Asia. I recall an emperor (perhaps China) making his servants climb up to get snow from the mountain tops and he would flavor it with different kinds of fruits. So, I guess...we adopted their first discovery.

I have had mushy pea ice cream at G&D's in Oxford. The great thing about that place (or really bad) is if you get enough suggestions for a flavour they will make it...even if it is mushy pea. I also had blueberry muffin (it actually had blueberry muffins in it) from there as well.

As for Gilroy, I have had their garlic jelly beans...awfully strange stuff.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:
Steven wrote:A friend of mine makes a ginger ice cream (using LOTS of fresh ginger)
I'd never thought of it, but that does sound really good.
'Tis.