Franco-American

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
OutOfBreath
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OutOfBreath »

Speaking of Franco - did you hear about the latest French attempt to discredit Lance Armstrong and have his sixth Tour de France win vacated?

The French police said when he went through security at the Paris airport after the race they found three foreign substances in or on him.

Toothpaste, deoderant, and...

...a backbone :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've never seen such a label on soup. Mabey it's because I don't eat most of it...but I still think I'd've noticed something like that.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Cran...you finally made it back to the forum and forgot your avatar! Good to see ya'.
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

emmline wrote:Really though, I always got that Franco mixed up with Chef Boyardee.
soon to be "Chef Person-ar-dee"....
there is no end to the walking
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Walden wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:It makes me wonder if there's still some fallout from the "Freedom Fries" whoop-de-do.
Me too, though that whole thing was so absurd it hardly bears mentioning.
I think you're getting close here. My theory: General Franco has now been dead long enough for people not to suspect that the name change is a sneaky liberal plot.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

rh wrote:
emmline wrote:Really though, I always got that Franco mixed up with Chef Boyardee.
soon to be "Chef Person-ar-dee"....
They already changed it from Boyardi to Boyardee in his lifetime, would it be fair to do this to him now that he's deceased?
Reasonable person
Walden
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

OutOfBreath wrote:Speaking of Franco - did you hear about the latest French attempt to discredit Lance Armstrong and have his sixth Tour de France win vacated?
The French police said when he went through security at the Paris airport after the race they found three foreign substances in or on him.
thanks for letting us know what kind of person you are.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Redwolf wrote:I always thought "Franco-American" was a dumb name for the products, since they were virtually all Italian-style foods anyway.
Me too. When I was a kid I wondered if there must be a traditional ethnopolitical association (not in so many words, though, me being just a wee nubbin) between the French and the Italians that edified us from the labels of canned foods. And I have to point out your use of the word "virtually". What French(wo)man, to say nothing of any worthy Italian, would cook with ketchup?

But I loved it so.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

janice wrote:Totally OT this thread-Jefferson, I like your new avatar (apparently someone has done a Ph.D. on Canadian donut shop culture, proving that nothing is too inconsequential to study)
Hmmm, I go at Tim Horton's about two times a week, I wouldnt survive without Timmy :-) I think we canadians can be proud of our donut buisness!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Janice stated:
Whoops. Double post
It should have been "double-double," which is now in the new Oxford Canadian Dictionary :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
emmline

Post by emmline »

claudine wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:Speaking of Franco - did you hear about the latest French attempt to discredit Lance Armstrong and have his sixth Tour de France win vacated?
Sorry Claudine...I don't think that "joke" was a good idea either.
glauber

Post by glauber »

emmline wrote:
claudine wrote:
Sorry Claudine...I don't think that "joke" was a good idea either.
Me too.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Jeferson wrote:Just a minute there, Walden! Campbell acquired the Franco-American Food Company in 1915. Having been forced to eat some of those F-A products during my childhood, it seems to me as though the stores have simply replaced the tins with the Campbell-labeled ones after their original stock ran out.
You're probably right. :)

Mmm... mmm... good...

Round and round and round we go, Ravioliolio...
Reasonable person
Walden
sturob

Post by sturob »

Azalin wrote:Hmmm, I go at Tim Horton's about two times a week, I wouldnt survive without Timmy :-) I think we canadians can be proud of our donut buisness!
Yeah, too bad the Americans own Tim's. ;)

I've started calling fries "pommes frites de la liberté." (If you don't speak French, that's French for "freedom fries.")

And what about that Jack-in-the-Box commercial playing in the US? The one with the French guy and Jack head-to-head? I imagine that's still fallout from Freedom Fries et al.

Stuart
sturob

Post by sturob »

Actually, à propos what I was saying about Tim's now being owned by a US company . . .

Tim's website is kinda scary. They don't want to come out and say that they're owned by Wendy's, but there's a link to the Wendy's homepage. Also, they're careful to call themselves a "North American" chain.

When I lived in Canada, I was amazed at how many familiar American companies have a presence in Canada, but who incorporate a maple leaf into their logos (at least in English Canada). McDonald's, Sears, Wal Mart. If the Scots call such things in Scotland "putting a kilt on it," I suppose it'd be "pouring maple syrup on it" for Canada.

I wonder if Tim's'll get a maple leaf in its logo somewheres. :roll:

Stuart