Blown Away

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CHIFF FIPPLE
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Blown Away

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Hope all the folk in the path of Charlie are ok and that no one is blown away :o
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Have avoided Charlie, but I did get a good sandblasting from Alex, a lesser storm, which spun up the East Coast last week.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Yahoo/Associated Press story:
A "significant loss of life" was reported Saturday...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... 9&ncid=716
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

So far here in North Carolina we're just getting a serious amount of rain. No wind damage as of yet. Flooding might become an issue by Sunday. I'm crossing my fingers.
"You have my undivided attention"
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Charlie's eye passed 5 miles to the south of our home... luckily we (my wife, dog, my pipes and I) were nowhere near when it did. Miraculously, our home suffered no damage, but I cannot say the same for the majority of the homes in my neighborhood, who lost car ports, roofs, sheds and vehicles. :(
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Sounds like Charley did motly property damage rather than killing people. Bad enough, I suppose, but roofs can be replaced.

BTW, this season shows how little imagination or humor meteoroligists have. How in heck could they name one storm 'Bonnie'and NOT name the next one 'Clyde'?
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
glauber

Post by glauber »

Isn't there some rule about some kinds of storms getting male names and other kinds female names?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

glauber wrote:Isn't there some rule about some kinds of storms getting male names and other kinds female names?
Yeah, they used to all be female. (Gee I wonder why?) Now they alternate. That is why "Bonnie" and then "Clyde" would have been perfect. I am sure they will hear about it from lots of people!!! :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
rh

Post by rh »

maybe they were thinking of Bonnie prince Charlie.
there is no end to the walking
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Joseph E. Smith

Quote:"Sounds like Charley did motly property damage rather than killing people. Bad enough, I suppose, but roofs can be replaced."
==============================================

It hasn't even been 24 hours since Charlie made land fall. It didn't roll across Polk County (where I live) until early Friday evening. The death toll which is nearing or over 100 and extends from Punta Gorda (SW) to Daytona Beach (NE), will not be complete for a while. Currently, severe thunderstorms are slahing their way through the areas ravaged by Charlie yesterday, and these storms are packing tornados. So far, three have touched down, and there are now four more indicated by radar. This is the worst storm to hit central Florida yet. They have only just begun to clear stuff away.

One more thing, we were hit by two serious storms, Bonnie and then Charlie...a day later.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm still trying to get through to my mother. She's in Bonita Springs, halfway between Ft. Meyers and Naples, and all I've been getting for a while is a busy signal. Yikes. Anyone know how the storm affected that area? I'd like to be able to think that she's just being gabby today.
Joseph E. Smith

The Fort Meyers area is devastated. They have no power at this time. Charlie made land fall here with winds around the eye wall at 140 mph. It may be some time before power/phones are restored. I'll keep you informed if you like. Feel free to pm me with any questions you may have.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Geez, that is awful. The newspaper reports I saw said maybe three deaths.

As a kid I lived through a couple of bad ones in Lousiana. My heart goes out to those in the area.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:The Fort Meyers area is devastated. They have no power at this time. Charlie made land fall here with winds around the eye wall at 140 mph. It may be some time before power/phones are restored. I'll keep you informed if you like. Feel free to pm me with any questions you may have.
Thanks. I just contacted my brother. Everything in BS (heh) is fairly OK, just some flooding and other comparatively minor issues and all the lines down, after all. The worst of it was about 30 miles north of there, I understand. She got lucky. I imagine that restoration will take time, though. I can't imagine what the folks in Ft. Meyers went through.