Willie Rowsome Bb Set: First Impressions

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glands »

greetings
Last edited by glands on Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

GREAT news Glands... does this mean you'll be mounting your custom K&Q set in the Kenna style??
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Glands Well Done :party: I am really pleased for ye.A very detailed and interesting summary of the state of the set.Ye have your work cut out but that will be a great part of the pleasure to restore it to a playable state Benedict and yersel will have many hours of fun ahead of ye!!
Tis pity that Brad Angus didn't or couldn't finish the job he started! Not much of an advert for his restorative skills methinks.Maybe he or someone on his behalf would wish to comment??? :wink:
Slan Go Foill
Uilliam
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, thanks Glands for your detailed review of the Angus/W. Rowsome set. Seems like when the leaks and reeds are sorted it should be a running alright.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Glands,
congratulations! Was going to buy it myself when it still was quite expensive (too expensive for me) and then the Scott came in between. I was extremely lucky (to live on this side of the pond). Now my budget is more than zero.

I own several lovely sets meanwhile that I use to let to pipers I like and
meet from time to time. I don´t like the idea of instruments not being
played. I am handicapped. Since I don´t need a new house or a car and don´t belive in shares any more I buy things I understand something about. Besides, this comes close to my lifelong obsession. In view of my progress I`m pretty sure that I will walk some day and operate my lathe again. I concentrate on the lovely Taylor-style. In addition, it can be done thoroughly on machines.
Hans
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

Congratulations Lewis

Hope the set will give you many happy hours. I was thinking about getting it myself, but on second thought I wanted a new set - I'm not really that much of a collector, and I'd hate to get the responsibility of caring for a piece of history like that. :o

- Maybe you'll need that case now ehh? :P

Morten
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"and then the Scott came in between. " Hans Joerg

How are things with the Scott set? It looks very interesting and at least complete, and original. The seller said that the bore & finger holes of the chanter have been severely disturbed - Have you been able to get it to sound/play in tune?
Piping Bulldog

Post by Piping Bulldog »

Congrats to Glands, I hope it all works out in time. It does raise questions about the validity of the initial price for the set of 12,500.00 though. I guess in the end it worked out nicely though.
Hans, good luck in your recovery. I know where youre coming from. 8 months ago I was in a car accident and received a broken neck, partial paralysis etc. Luckily Im recovering, but my pipes have been a large part of my recovery. They constantly provide me with challenges, and enjoyment, and have done so even at my worst moments.
best of luck
Lorenzo

Re: Willie Rowsome Bb Set: First Impressions

Post by Lorenzo »

glands wrote:Just so you folks know, I did not compromise my religious beliefs! My lovely wife did the sinning for me.
I believe you. Your lovely wife registered to eBay the day before the auction ended, and had no plans to push that "Buy it Now" button. :wink:

"And Adam said to God, the woman you gave me made me do it."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Ah, so you're the one........congrats Mr. Blevins. Hope she works out for you in time.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Excellent news Laoighseach.. congratulations!

Patrick.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Steampacket,
the set hasn´t arrived yet. It won´t be due before next week. As you can imagine, lots of trembling and shaking in spite of insurance now. As I want it hum like a bee but want to keep the chanter under all circumstances, I would like to have the walls filled and rereamed as proposed instead of keeping it in the questioable, butchered state that "might be possible to reed" somehow. In case, it shouldn´t be a big problem to elongate the chanter and reglue the foottrim. Normal glue on boxwood is no problem. But what do yous think?
glands

Post by glands »

What great fun
Last edited by glands on Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"the set hasn´t arrived yet. It won´t be due before next week. As you can imagine, lots of trembling and shaking in spite of insurance now. As I want it hum like a bee but want to keep the chanter under all circumstances, I would like to have the walls filled and rereamed as proposed instead of keeping it in the questioable, butchered state that "might be possible to reed" somehow. In case, it shouldn´t be a big problem to elongate the chanter and reglue the foottrim. Normal glue on boxwood is no problem. But what do yous think?" Hans-Joerg.

Know how you feel as regards shipping, but it should be alright, England to Germany isn't so far. I had a couple of nervous weeks last December when my Wilkes flute shipped from New Hampshire to Sweden went missing, turned out it had been sitting in Schenkter's depot in Malmö for 11 days and they hadn't bothered to ring me.

Is there anyone else with an unaltered Scott chanter you could get measurements from, Ken McLeod, Brian Vallely for instance? I wonder what key it was meant to play in at the tuning of the time back then, C, prehaps C#? Would you be able to renovate the chanter yourself or would you let say Andreas or Geoff have a go, or even leave it as it is and make a replica chanter. I agree though it would be nice to have the original chanter in playing condition
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

It,s amazing how some people sing their praises of their choosen pipemaker at every given oppertunity but then when something is less than perfect they are strangely silent

RORY