Bones Web Site; in Washington DC next week

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bones Web Site; in Washington DC next week

Post by BoneQuint »

I've just "launched" my bones web site: Bones.JeffLeff.com. Check it out if you're interested. I'll probably add some Irish sound clips soon (there's just some American Old-Timey stuff up there now). Let me know what you think, or if there's anything you'd like to see or hear there.

I'll be in the Washington DC area next week attending Bones Fest August 20-22. I'll be there early and stay later, from Monday the 16th till Wednesday the 25th. If anyone would like to meet up and talk about or play music or whistles (I'll bring a nice collection) or concertinas or whatever, let me know. Or if there's something "not to be missed" nearby, I'd love hearing about it.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

What a beautiful website Jeff!!! Congratulations! I can't play the sound clips right now...at work drat but will try it at home tonight.

The bones you make are lovely!!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Wow, Bones Fest. I wish I still lived in Maryland...

If you get a chance to go into Baltimore, there's some great sessions at the James Joyce and also at J. Patricks. My Bodhran and Bones teacher Deborah Brower will most likely be at Bones Fest, if you need a local to show you around...

P.S. I was looking at the "How to Make Wrapped Bones" section of your site. What sort of bone is that in the pictures? It appears (my computer's colors are bad) to be a lighter wood with a strip of darker wood (Purpleheart?) tapering down the middle. Those are very attractive.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

As it happens, I live in Reston, so I'll try to stop by some time to hear some bones. Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of some killer travel, so I can't spend much time. Is there a schedule for events at the BonesFest?

-- Scott
SirNick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Great web site Jeff! I'd like to know some detailed history of bone playing throughout the world. :thumbsup:
"You have my undivided attention"
hmartley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I wanted to post my whistle that’s for sale. I hope this is OK, I haven’t posted for a long time.

Post by hmartley »

Hi! Come to the Monday night session at Nanny O'Brien's in DC. It's been going on for ages. It's accessible by Metro. Here's their website:

http://www.nannyobriens.com/

It was big this past week - 10 fiddles, 3 or 4 flutes, couple of guitars/bouzoukis (sp?), couple of whistles, a harp, a piper - but no bones!!!

Hope to see you there.

Heather M.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

fearfaoin wrote:My Bodhran and Bones teacher Deborah Brower will most likely be at Bones Fest
Wow, great name for a bones player, is she possibly related to Frank Brower, "the First Minstrel Bones Player?" I guess I'll be able to ask her...
fearfaoin wrote:P.S. I was looking at the "How to Make Wrapped Bones" section of your site. What sort of bone is that in the pictures? It appears (my computer's colors are bad) to be a lighter wood with a strip of darker wood (Purpleheart?) tapering down the middle. Those are very attractive.
Those are Whamdiddle bones, out of Washington state I believe. They're pretty expensive, I think that pair was $28, and I really don't use them...they have a bit of a brittle sound, which is why I was trying wrapping them, but I've stuck to my old worn-in leather-wrapped Danforths for that sort of thing. At least making bones has pretty much cured my BoOA.

Here's an old link to hear those bones and some others from my collection (before I started making my own):
http://www.tohu-bohu.com/bones/gallery/
srt19170 wrote:Is there a schedule for events at the BonesFest?
There's this line from the RhythmBones.com website:
The public performance at the end will be on Sunday, venue TBA. We anticipate ending the Sunday performances at about 3:30 or 4:00 pm.
I'll try to log on before it starts to post details, if available.
SirNick wrote:I'd like to know some detailed history of bone playing throughout the world.
You can try this link at RhythmBones.com. I must have read this before, but I don't exactly remember what's in it:
http://www.rhythmbones.com/ancient.html
hmartley wrote:Hi! Come to the Monday night session at Nanny O'Brien's in DC
Great, I think I can make it! Thanks. How late does it run?
hmartley wrote:It was big this past week - 10 fiddles, 3 or 4 flutes, couple of guitars/bouzoukis (sp?), couple of whistles, a harp, a piper - but no bones!
And I guarantee I still won't need to play anywhere near full volume! I'll add a short story here: I was doing a gig where the rest of the band was amplified: three voices, banjo, upright bass, fiddle, accordion. I said I didn't need a mic. Before we started playing, to warm up, I held two pairs of very loud bones at full length, held away from the palm slightly for maximum ringing volume, and gave them a big whip, and POW! I happened to be standing near the bass player (who's played with us for almost a year now), who with a stunned look on her face, said, "do that again!" So I did. POW! She just stared for a second. So I said, "now you know how much I've been holding back all this time..."
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Oh, one more thing, a plea for help: the video files don't quite work properly for me in Internet Explorer (I usually use Opera, which handles them just fine). It downloads the video when you click on it, but then complains that it can't find it when Media Player launches. If you save it manually to your hard drive then double-click it there, it works fine. Anyone have an idea why that would happen?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

BoneQuint wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:My Bodhran and Bones teacher Deborah Brower will most likely be at Bones Fest
Wow, great name for a bones player, is she possibly related to Frank Brower, "the First Minstrel Bones Player?" I guess I'll be able to ask her...
Probably not; I think Brower is her married name...
BoneQuint wrote:Those are Whamdiddle bones, out of Washington state I believe. They're pretty expensive, I think that pair was $28, and I really don't use them...they have a bit of a brittle sound, which is why I was trying wrapping them, but I've stuck to my old worn-in leather-wrapped Danforths for that sort of thing. At least making bones has pretty much cured my BoOA.
Huh, well sound is the most important thing, but they are purty...
BTW, do you ever have plans for a "Making your own Bones" section of your website? It seems straight forward, but I'm a woodworking novice...

I like your outfit on the front page of the site... the hat and vest are spiffy.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

fearfaoin wrote:
BoneQuint wrote:Those are Whamdiddle bones, out of Washington state I believe. They're pretty expensive, I think that pair was $28, and I really don't use them...they have a bit of a brittle sound, which is why I was trying wrapping them, but I've stuck to my old worn-in leather-wrapped Danforths for that sort of thing. At least making bones has pretty much cured my BoOA.
Huh, well sound is the most important thing, but they are purty...
I've played some Whamdiddle bones that were excellent...these sounded good in the store, but just never grew on me.
fearfaoin wrote:BTW, do you ever have plans for a "Making your own Bones" section of your website? It seems straight forward, but I'm a woodworking novice...
Yes, that's a good idea. But It'll probably be a few months before I undertake a new major addition.
fearfaoin wrote:I like your outfit on the front page of the site... the hat and vest are spiffy.
Thanks! That was from a performance this year at a large private party in Napa, California. On a huge estate up in the wild hills, beautiful place.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I just got home, so I can now watch the videos on your site, and I must say:
You, sir, are the man!
Seriously, I am not worthy.
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

Wow! Great site, thanks for putting it together!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If anyone here has NOT tried playing the bones, you really should consider it-- lots of fun. Jeff sent me a pair in Macacauba (along with the wood to make him a whistle). His instructions are quite clear and using them and the website, you oughta be able to learn how to play them. It takes a while and then, all of a sudden, the bones begin to "dance' as Jeff puts it. Once it happens for you, you'll know what he means.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
fearfaoin

Re: OT: Bones Web Site; in Washington DC next week

Post by fearfaoin »

BoneQuint wrote:I'll be in the Washington DC area next week attending Bones Fest August 20-22.
So, how was Bones Fest, Jeff?
BoneQuint

Re: OT: Bones Web Site; in Washington DC next week

Post by BoneQuint »

fearfaoin wrote:So, how was Bones Fest, Jeff?
It was great! I saw several players who were quite inspiring, trying stuff on bones I haven't seen before. It was also great to see the traditional strain of American bones players, including some people in their 70s and 80s who had played all their lives and learned from their parents. The event showed how the bones are a "personal" instrument -- everyone finds their own way of holding and playing them. One very interesting fellow, "Kenny B", who plays percussion in the President's Own Marine Band, has been applying snare drum rudiments to the bones with very interesting results. Steven Brown, the "All-Ireland Bones Playing Championship" winner of the last two years was very good -- extremely precise and solid. Mel Mercier was also a treat to see -- lots of style and humor.

I wish I had more time to prepare things to play, without my usual bandmates I was a bit lost, but I had several good jamming opportunities. A highlight was a duet of "Over the Waterfall" with Jonathan Danforth (grandson of Percy Danforth) on fiddle during one "member spotlight" concert. At least we were able to run through it once before the show, and it's a tune we both know well and like.

I also broke out my concertina and whistle a bit, which was fun. I played some improvised African-esque whistle stuff along to an udu drum and bones. I also dropped by a local pub and played bones with <a href="http://www.poflaherty.com/">Patrick O'Flaherty</a>, who was doing a solo gig of Irish tunes and songs. That was good fun, he was even nice enough to give me one of his CDs. I was also talking to some friendly locals, and played a few tunes for them on whistle off to the side a bit between songs. Patrick wasn't familiar with Over the Waterfall, and was picking it up on the box as I ran through it a few times.

I also ran into a guy named Jamey Turner busking, playing tunes on a "<a href="http://bones.jeffleff.com/media/harp.jpg">glass harp</a>." It was a great sound, and he was a good player. I jammed with him on a ragtime tune he told me was called "<a href="http://bones.jeffleff.com/media/rufus.mp3">Whistlin' Rufus</a>." What fun!

Now it's off to Burning Man in a few days, so I'll be scarce around here again. Keep your fipples warm everyone.