What's this whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

vomitbunny wrote:The new Real One player is garbage, and has a tendancy to screw up computers. When my latest computer was only a week old, I put it on, and started crashing twice a day, even I fired it up and used it at all. Didn't have to be open, but just used. Errors. Crashes. Buggy. Error messages claimed that the vid card was bad, bad drivers, bad sound card, etc.....
But when I uninstalled and did a rollback to befor I put it on, the problems all went away.
I put an old version on so I could play when RAM and RM files I had, and I've gotten by just fine. I hear there is a Jet Player that will play real media files too, and it supposidly is fine.
I've had virii that caused a lot less problem than Real One. It's like Real Networks contracted out thier programing to AOL or something.
Not my experience at all, that I am aware of. I would like to know more about this spyware issue though!!!! Enlighten please.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

So, uhhh.......

What IS the damn whistle!?
John S
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John S »

I don't know what type of Whistle it is, but I bet it's flat in the second octave.
John S
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

John S wrote:I don't know what type of Whistle it is, but I bet it's flat in the second octave.
John S
She is not! :o

Oh, the whistle.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Don't know that much about the spyware issues, other than what I've heard, but I know first hand about the stability issues. They sucked. This was a year ago, but I hear it's still pretty bad.
As I said, I'm now using an older version, befor they improved it so much.
Let's see. Netscape would crash. Unreal would crash. Quicktime and Flash stuff was unstable. I'm not talking about just the app, the whole system. I updated the video driver, which appeared to be the problem, at least at first, and then I started reading problems other people had. So I dumped it and did a rollback to befor I installed Real One.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

NorCalMusician wrote:
John S wrote:I don't know what type of Whistle it is, but I bet it's flat in the second octave.
John S
She is not! :o

Oh, the whistle.

:lol:
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

tuaz wrote:From the photo, it looks as if the window in the mouthpc is covered up with some black material. Could it be some form of electronic whistle?
If it is, it's probably done so it shows up better in the photograph, the kind of practice common among slick studio photographers. It could even just be a prop whistle.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

[quote="BoneQuint] It could even just be a prop whistle.[/quote]

Hi!
I think you got a point there BoneQuint.
Urban Trad represented Belgium in the Eurovision song contest 2003 (runner up after Turkey) and I recall that his whistle playing sounded artificial. I doubt he played the whistle for real, probably just added for the celtic feel. These guys also invented there own language for the lyrics as any existing language wasn’t good enough, so a prop whistle isn’t that far away.

/MarcusR
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

The whistle is made by a French maker, his initials are JW if I remember right. We have come across another of his whistles just this last weekend in Dranouter. Unfortunately only seen it very shortly, so we forgot his name, French for sure. Really nice looking whistle, Colin liked it. Excellent workmanship. The head of the one we saw was kind of Grenadill and metal body. He also seems to make Uillean pipes now.

The whistle in Yves hand is a Low D made by the same maker. We saw it a few years ago being played by him. Regarding the whistle in the tune in the European song contest, he plays a real whistle as well as bagpipes. As far as I know it was an Overton Alto F, maybe it ran through effects.

Sorry to have no more precise information.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Brigitte wrote:Sorry to have no more precise information.
It's a lot more information than we had before. Thank you for it.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

vomitbunny wrote:The new Real One player is garbage, and has a tendancy to screw up computers. When my latest computer was only a week old, I put it on, and started crashing twice a day, even I fired it up and used it at all. Didn't have to be open, but just used. Errors. Crashes. Buggy. Error messages claimed that the vid card was bad, bad drivers, bad sound card, etc.....
But when I uninstalled and did a rollback to befor I put it on, the problems all went away.
I put an old version on so I could play when RAM and RM files I had, and I've gotten by just fine. I hear there is a Jet Player that will play real media files too, and it supposidly is fine.
I've had virii that caused a lot less problem than Real One. It's like Real Networks contracted out thier programing to AOL or something.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah good old f***ing A! O(h) (hel)L
Those were the days. Filled with busy signals, slow connections and "Goodbye"
Well that was when I was a computer n00b I didn't know any better.
Spayware comes in anything that you can download, music file, video files, viruses in pictures... don't think midi files... Executables and especially .vbs scrpits never open any file with a visual basic extension!!!

"Script Kiddies" use a program known as a "wrapper" which "imbeds" the eronious file inside of a perfectly normal file. the "embedded" file is then opened up when you open the Real file. Say you (il)legaly downloaded a music video file from Kazaa. When you opened it, it played just fine but several seconds later your desktop was inundated with a multidte of ""Barnyard Sex" websites and other crap like that. There ya go... a file "wrapper" at work. IF you must know some music industry companies have started using these "wrappers" and posting bogus fles on the web. When you open the file it plays like 3 seconds then all of the suddon your being bounced around like 100 websites, that I'm guessing were designed to flood a dial up users network and boot them offline. My cable just laughs and opens all the pages, then I cntr-alt-delete and end proccess my stupid bug riddled IE 6.0 "death to internet explorer!" All hail FireFox! ehem, anyway. My point is be very carefull about what you downlod from the web. Spyware can be found in almost anything. a good Firewall program and virus program is a must. and for some of you more "leet" computer users then you should already know that "adaware, and Hijack this" are also a must. I also like to use Neo Trace pro and report all virus activity to the ISP of the sending IP address... Perposefully sending a virus breaks quite a few internet laws in most countries...
Cyfia
wnder
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
John S

Post by John S »

If that's a low D Yves is a Giant.
John S