Titles of beautiful tunes that are easy to play.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

eibhlí gheal chiúin ní chearbhaill, aird ui chamhaing
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

oleorezinator wrote:eibhlí gheal chiúin ní chearbhaill, aird ui chamhaing
does that come with fries?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

amar wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:eibhlí gheal chiúin ní chearbhaill, aird ui chamhaing
does that come with fries?

Deep fried Mars bars.

Slan,
D.

:wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Steven
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steven »

There's a lovely Scottish waltz called The Mist Covered Mountains (not to be confused with another tune of the same or nearly same name, which I think is a reel). If you're familiar with the movie Local Hero, it's the waltz they play in the ceilidh.

:-)
Steven
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The next question is where to find them.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
janice

Post by janice »

Not quite so easy as the other tunes listed, "Give Me Your Hand" is a beautiful tune well worth learning.

(actually, "Mist Covered Mountains" is a jig, slowed down to a slower tempo and used as a repeating theme in Local Hero. Great movie-one of my favorites)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

TheWaltz Mist covered Mountains of Home was very popular during the 1950s through the playing of Jimmy Shand.

The jig was composed by Junior Crehan. the story he had was that walking home fro ma session one morning the tune came t ohis head, Willie clancy was there, Junior played the tune for him and Willie pointed at Mt Callan in the distance and said 'why not call it the Mist Coverred Mountain'.

Junior notoriously 'developed' tunes from other tunes (and what harm, he didn't pretend otherwise) and I am sure Willie was well aware of it.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

All great stuff.

A couple more:

There is a lullaby called the Garton Mother's Lullaby. Lovely melody for whistle or flute, also words that I find stick in the mind and haunt me at the oddest occasions.

There is a lullaby version of the Eagle's Whistle which is a lovely, simple melody.

Also there is the song "If Ever You Were Mine," which can be played quite simply and beautifully on whistle.

I think these lovely simple tunes are underplayed, probably because of the desire of the Irish Traditional movement to distance itself from the New Age movement.

It's a shame: they are lovely melodies.

--James
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Someone played a wonderful version of Gershwin's 'Summertime' here once. It's pretty easy.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Colin

Post by Colin »

janice wrote:Not quite so easy as the other tunes listed, "Give Me Your Hand" is a beautiful tune well worth learning.

(actually, "Mist Covered Mountains" is a jig, slowed down to a slower tempo and used as a repeating theme in Local Hero. Great movie-one of my favorites)
... I think the reverse might be true. The 'Mist Covered Mountains' is a
popular traditional Scot's song from the 19th century sung in a moderately
slow 6/8 time which has been speeded up and played as a jig.
Many songs from the Highlands and Islands are in 6/8 or 9/8 time - those
times seem to suit the natural rhythmic lilt of the original Gaelic lyrics.

Colin
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Colin wrote:
janice wrote:Not quite so easy as the other tunes listed, "Give Me Your Hand" is a beautiful tune well worth learning.

... I think the reverse might be true. The 'Mist Covered Mountains' is a
popular traditional Scot's song from the 19th century sung in a moderately
slow 6/8 time which has been speeded up and played as a jig.
See Peter's post above. "Speeded up and played as a jig" is basically what Peter meant by "developed tunes from other tunes."
/Bloomfield
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Bucks of Oranmore
The Gold Ring
Gravel Walks

Chris
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The Local Hero theme is a separate tune composed by Mark Knopfler. I think it's what the ginger lad plays on the Clarke whistle after Wedge Antilles and the other accordion player perform "Mist Covered Mountains."

My understanding of the roots of the "Mist Covered Mountains" air is in Scots-Gaelic song, possibly piobaireachd. I'll agree with Peter on the waltz and jig. But Peter could tell me Johnny Doran was a missing Romanov and I'd believe him.

Cheers,
Aaron
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Thanks guys, that's a treasure trove.

Someone asked where I've find them. I use "JC's ABC Tune Finder". If you search by that phrase it will come up first. Great tool!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

"Give Me Your Hand" is easier to find under its title in Irish: Tabhair Dom Do Lámh. I've got it in a couple of collections.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!