Can you identify these whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Can you identify these whistles?

Post by slowair »

This weekend I found a CD called Celtic Mystique. Just one of those things you find near the register.

Loretto Reid is listed as the whislter, but that doesn't help any.

Just curious...can anyone identify the whistle(s) in the photo from inside the jewel case?

Mike
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

The one on the right is an O'Riordan. The "Traveler," black aluminum with brass fittings.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

They're all O'Riordans. The middle one is an O'Riordan head on a Generation-style body, and the left one appears to be a lower O'Riordan Traveller, probably a Bb or an A. Odds are good these are Loretto's actual whistles -- she certainly played whistles that looked like these over the weekend.

(Incidentally, for those that keep track of this sort of thing, Loretto now has an Eb O'Riordan head / Generation-style body whistle, and I never saw her use her trustly old Generation Eb at Goderich this time.)
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I have a great whistle CD by Loretto from a couple of years ago. Does this mean there's a new one available now?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

What album do you have?. I've just checked her web page (http://www.reidtaheny.com) and Celtic Mystique is not one of their albums, just one she appeared on, if I'm reading it correctly.

They have four albums which are basically of tunes -- Golden Dawn, Celtic Mettle, From the Inside Out, and Celtic Flair. They're not whistle albums, per se -- she plays flute, accordion, and concertina too, and her husband Brian gets in some excellant solo string tracks. But each of them has some great whistle tracks.

They've also appeared on a bunch of the Celtic this and Celtic that albums from Canada. (Actually, Celtic Flair is one of these, too, but it's entirely their band, and it's tunes rather than slow airs or songs.) Plus Loretto had a big double-CD project called the Children of Lir, for which she composed a bunch of music and played whistles -- it got a Juno Award nomination for best children's album of the year last year.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Where did you find Celtic Mystique? Walmart by Chance?
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
slowair

Post by slowair »

KDMARTINKY wrote:Where did you find Celtic Mystique? Walmart by Chance?
Thank you everyone for playing "Name That Whistle".

No prizes other than knowing you are right.

I picked up Celtic Mystique at Linens and Things at the Mall.

Caution though, this is baby making music.

Mike
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

colomon wrote:What album do you have?. .
Actually I think the one I have is Celtic Flair. I shouldn't have called it a whistle CD but there is some excellent whisting on it. Right now it's in storage, but I do think CF is the one I have. It has Eleanor Plunkett on it, a beautifully played whistle version.
colomon

Post by colomon »

Yeah, Celtic Flair is a great album.