Non-North Americans...sweets question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

TomB wrote:Martin: Twinkies are pretty good, but did you get to try Suzie-Q's? Those are the best, in my mind.
I confess I am a Suzi-Q junkie from a very early age. One of the best birthdays I had growing up involved a Suzi-Q with a candle in it. :party:

Sadly, it is a rare day to find Suzi-Qs in shops or vending machines now. The only time I have found them is at a Hostess outlet shop. They had one in Boise (I bought an entire box of bliss along with my chiffy Chocodiles) but I don't know if there are any here in Salt Lake.

Maybe that's what I will do on Saturday...
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

avanutria wrote:
TomB wrote:Martin: Twinkies are pretty good, but did you get to try Suzie-Q's? Those are the best, in my mind.
I confess I am a Suzi-Q junkie from a very early age. One of the best birthdays I had growing up involved a Suzi-Q with a candle in it. :party:

Sadly, it is a rare day to find Suzi-Qs in shops or vending machines now. The only time I have found them is at a Hostess outlet shop. They had one in Boise (I bought an entire box of bliss along with my chiffy Chocodiles) but I don't know if there are any here in Salt Lake.

Maybe that's what I will do on Saturday...

Ava: Must be a regional thing. You can find Suzi-Q's in 7-11's and grocery stores here in Connecticut.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I know that smores are traditionally made with Hershey's chocolate bars and I'm OK with that. But my wife grew up in southern Switzerland and northern Italy and she is less than enthusiastic about Hershey's chocolate. She's not dogmatic about it - Hershey's is better than no chocolate at all. But on every trip she takes home to Switaly she returns with a suitcase full of Swiss and Italian chocolate. It melts in your mouth almost immediately. I understand that European chocolate contains a higher concentration of cocoa butter and that makes it melt at body temperature. Anyway, I have to agree with her, but I'll certainly eat Hershey's if there's no Lindt in the house.
Mike
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Tom - Yes, I'm sure it is regional. Soon as I figure out what region I'm supposed to be in, I'll find out if SQ's are there. :D

Or maybe I should go about that the other way round.

The reason I was in the Hostess shop in the first place was to locate some Chocodiles for a New Yorker, as they didn't carry them in his area, so perhaps a lot of Hostess's products vary by region.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

burnsbyrne wrote:I know that smores are traditionally made with Hershey's chocolate bars and I'm OK with that. But my wife grew up in southern Switzerland and northern Italy and she is less than enthusiastic about Hershey's chocolate. She's not dogmatic about it - Hershey's is better than no chocolate at all. But on every trip she takes home to Switaly she returns with a suitcase full of Swiss and Italian chocolate. It melts in your mouth almost immediately. I understand that European chocolate contains a higher concentration of cocoa butter and that makes it melt at body temperature. Anyway, I have to agree with her, but I'll certainly eat Hershey's if there's no Lindt in the house.
Mike
Mike, I agree on the sentiment, though I disagree on the 'better than no choco at all'. I don't eat Hersheys unless its in something or I'm on the trail and have to have that waxy nevermelt form of Hersheys that they send to th troops in the desert. But there is NO way I'm wasting good European chocolate on a s'more.

Also, it appears that Hershey bought out some European chocolatier in order to break into the high quality choco market. Their new 'Euro' styled dark is quite edible.

Let's take this further. If we were going to upscale the s'more, what would your three ingredients be? Must be off the shelf (no home made ginger snaps for the graham crackers) so that the average harried houseperson can put together something for guests and call it something like s'wonderful.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

avanutria wrote:Tom - Yes, I'm sure it is regional. Soon as I figure out what region I'm supposed to be in, I'll find out if SQ's are there. :D

Or maybe I should go about that the other way round.

The reason I was in the Hostess shop in the first place was to locate some Chocodiles for a New Yorker, as they didn't carry them in his area, so perhaps a lot of Hostess's products vary by region.
My mother used to make homemade Susi-Qs. We called them "Gobs" (why, I don't know) and they are absolutely the most delectable thing on the planet. Want me to see if I can dig up the recipe?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Here's my notion for Tyghress' idea about "upscale s'mores" - (the Italian theme is because I was thinking of the "cracker" ingredient first and pizzelles came to mind) -- How about mascarpone (sweetened), Perugina dark chocolate (melted) between two pizzelles (vanilla-flavored or whichever floats your boat?)
Upscale, all items available, and would have the requisite sweet gooiness. (how do you spell that? gooeyness? hmm....)
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

PBS had a program a bit back on the history of chocolate. Milk chocolate did not exist until the process for powdered milk was dicovered . . . chocolate(fat) can not be mixed with milk(water), but when the water is removed from milk, vola! Then the two can be mixed to form milk chocolate.
The chocolate bar was not invented until World War 1. The small bars were a portable and quick source of energy.

I'm not a big Hershey fan, as I tasted real dark chocolate and everything else pales. My favorite local chocolate maker closed her doors a year ago or so. :cry: But I find Newman's Organic Chocolate to be a close second.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Redwolf wrote:My mother used to make homemade Susi-Qs. We called them "Gobs" (why, I don't know) and they are absolutely the most delectable thing on the planet. Want me to see if I can dig up the recipe?

Redwolf
Sure, I'm always up for setting off the kitchen smoke alarms. :)
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Ovaltine rocks! :)

My parents always bought us Ovaltine when I was little and that's what I buy for my kids now. It seems healthier than the other chocolate drink mixes for some reason (not sure if it is...). More malty, less sweet.

-Brett
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

avanutria wrote:
Redwolf wrote:My mother used to make homemade Susi-Qs. We called them "Gobs" (why, I don't know) and they are absolutely the most delectable thing on the planet. Want me to see if I can dig up the recipe?

Redwolf
Sure, I'm always up for setting off the kitchen smoke alarms. :)
I'll check my recipe files...I'm pretty sure I have it.

They're messy, but oh...they're heavenly!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Did anyone else have the peanut butter variation? We did it in the oven or toaster oven. Peanut butter insted of chocolat.
After growing up and trying the "normal" variety, I like the PB variation better. And the marshmellow had to have a pretty good toasty crust to get the right flavor.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Martin Milner wrote:I also discovered that Twinkies are not nearly as nice as one might hope, and was glad I only brought a box of ten home with me, as it was less to throw away.
Twinkies originally had banana creme, but were changed when the Second World War made bananas unavailable for the purpose.
Reasonable person
Walden
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

I saw banana creme twinkies somewhere recently. I was tempted. I like bananas. I hate twinkies. I got some strawberry-banana yogurt instead, as I recall.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Brit vs. American sweets...I packed a whole bunch of Skittles and Starbursts in my carryon last time I came home from London--the English versions, you see, are vegan, and were a treat my oldest daughter had given up on here in the States.