Mysteries of the universe, continued (not OT) ...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Mysteries of the universe, continued (not OT) ...

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I was looking at that whistletooter website the other day. I liked the way Sean videotaped his playing close up so I could see what he was doing.

I saw him do finger vibrato. Now, I've always used a bit of diaphram whenever I want some vibrato. I've seen Paddy Maloney do finger vibrato and thought it must take considerable skill to wiggle your finger just the right distance from the tonehole to get just the right effect. However, when I saw Sean do it, it looked easy enough. I thought, "I can do that," so I tried it.

It worked great! And on the first try.

So I experimented a bit and discovered that it doesn't matter what finger you wiggle or how far it is from a tonehole or for that matter, whether it's anywhere near any tonehole at all. You get vibrato just by virtue of wiggling something that's more or less connected to the whistle. In fact, when I showed this to Arleen a few minutes ago, I discovered that it even works if you wiggle your foot!

I thought you would want to know.

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. I'm sure there are subtleties I'm missing, so please don't flame me for being an irreverent simpleton. It's intended to be humorous.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Jerry ,I'm now in the process of wiggling everything :lol:
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Whistling Willie wrote:Jerry ,I'm now in the process of wiggling everything :lol:
I prefer to wag.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Wiggle wag,sure it's all the same :o
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Just visualizing vibrato may be enough. You can develop a beat frequency between the 3rd and 4th chakras that'll do it, but that requires fasting and meditation. I guess waggling the fingers would be the most sensible.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I recently saw the Temptations live in concert. At one point the band invited audience members up to the stage to sing one verse of "Sunshine." Before singing, they prelude with "Do you know this song," and then, "Can you wiggle your hips, can you wiggle your hips..." So put two and two together and an Elvis Presley outfit and the whistle vibrato takes on a whole new persona :)
+ Bill
JillyKB

Post by JillyKB »

Wow! That really is a pretty nice way to do vibrato. I had been trying to create vibrato with just my breathing, but it was murder on my already weak breath support. Thanks for pointing that out.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I sorta shake the whole whistle sometimes, though I normally use breath vibrato. I find finger vibrato a bit trickier to get consistent.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
John S

Post by John S »

Another thread title intended for psychics.
I use finger vibrato a lot, and it works well on the Whistle too (Fnarr Fnarr).

John S
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've heard of some people able to produce a finger-vibrato-type effect on flute on D (with all fingers down) by shaking the flute.

I've never gotten it to work, but you've just given me motivation to go back to the idea and try it again.

--James
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

On a whistle with all toneholes covered, wiggling the right pinky produces a vibrato. (Wiggling the left pinky does too, but being right handed and the pinky being the least coordinated finger, it's easier for me with the right.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Mysteries of the universe, continued (not OT) ...

Post by Walden »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I was looking at that whistletooter website the other day. I liked the way Sean videotaped his playing close up so I could see what he was doing.

I saw him do finger vibrato. Now, I've always used a bit of diaphram whenever I want some vibrato. I've seen Paddy Maloney do finger vibrato and thought it must take considerable skill to wiggle your finger just the right distance from the tonehole to get just the right effect. However, when I saw Sean do it, it looked easy enough. I thought, "I can do that," so I tried it.
This is called The Bob Ross Effect.
Jerry Freeman wrote:It worked great! And on the first try.
Unlike painting with the late Bob Ross.
Reasonable person
Walden
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Diaphragm vibrato and finger vibrato each have their places. I use breath vibrato most of the time but the finger vibrato works good when you want something slow and more controlled.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I just use the "whammy bar" on my whistle. Why are you guy's doing it the hard way? :lol:
"You have my undivided attention"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Just a stodgily serious note to add that some finger vibratos can sound better than others, depending on your instrument and the register you're playing in. Experimenting for the best effect is a good thing. Some whistles and flute are more touchy about this than others, and a "bad" finger vibrato is pretty gnarly.

Okay, I'm done being serious for now.