Breaking News...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CDon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CDon »

I'll cast my vote for "Erin"
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

I think it's only right to say that I am asked, by the manufacturer, not to be specific about the new whistle until next week. It may be that Dale has, albeit, unwittingly, breached the confidentiality agreement that often accompanies pre-launch information. I prefered not to do that, but thought it was fun (for all, not just me) to start a guessing game.

By the way where <i> did</i> Dale post that message?

Steve
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

[would have deleted if I could... edited for being incorrect] :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aderyn_cyrdd on 2002-03-11 20:54 ]</font>
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

On March 9, 2001, I got a package from a whistle manufacturer with the new whistle that Steve has been talking about it. It came with an advertisement paste-up and a letter of explanation from the company. This company is usually explicit when they DON'T want me to publicize something and, in this case, there was no request for confidentiality. Still, I wanted to make sure that they were ok with me publicizing it. So, I emailed my contact at the company and asked for confirmation that it was ok to publicize it, which I received today. In the meantime, when I got the package I immediately realized that this was the whistle that Steve has been teasing us about. Incidentally, I think this teasing has been good fun with good-fun responses. Accordingly, on March 9th, I sent email to a few people who have participated in this thread letting them in on the secret and mentioning the "scoop." I intended this as more good fun. And, I felt justified in that I was confident enough that the company meant for me to go ahead and publicize it, which is now confirmed. (I just wanted to make certain before I said anything about it to a couple of hundred people on the board and 3000+ on the mailing list. I expected there might be some good-natured ribbing about it on the board, but I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Apparently, I did and I regret that.

Dale

P.S. The reason I'm not revealing it in this message is that, under the circumstances, it would add insult to injury. I'll leave that to Steve. If he declines, I'll post something about it later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2002-03-11 18:04 ]</font>
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Dale,
I was one of the lucky recipients of the "scoop", but I think you may have been had. The picture of the packaged that the "major whistle manufacturer" sent you had the name all wrong. The new whistle is called "Mildred."

Steve, when are you going to let Mildred out of the bag, eh? :wink:
/Bloomfield
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

As I said, I was asked by the manufacturer, directly, not to say anything until next week. I assumed that 'we' were all bound by the same 'rules'. I'm a little dismayed by what Dale did (including letting members in on the 'guessing game' and seeking permission to publish the news, early) and I have just e-mailed him to say that I will be making my own 'silent protest', by unsubscribing from C&F.

It's been fun guys, take care.

oh, Bloomfield, it's not Mildred, but it IS M.. :wink:

Steve
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Steve, this is an unfortunate ending to what I think was a rather fun thread. Given the fact that Dale didn't receive a confidentiality agreement he didn't violate anything. Additionally, he e-mailed only a few of us so that your fun *wasn't* ruined. Personally, I still think the whole thing is pretty funny :smile:

(An explanation for some of the younger whistlers on the board: When a company pre-release a new products they often send it to a few select people for advanced reviews, usabilty, testing, and so forth. Each person that receive the pre-released product is usually bound by a confidentialy agreement, sometimes called a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), Typically the agreement obliges the person who received the new product to keep any and all knowledge of it confidential until such time as the company makes a formal announcement about the new product. The confidentiality agreement is usually sent to all parties that receive the pre-released product. In this case both Steve and Dale had pre-release information about the "mystery whistle"; but, it also appears as though Steve got a confidentiality agreement and Dale didn't get one. I don't want to be presumptuous but it is standard practice to send confidentiality agreements to all parties receiving a pre-release product and not just some. In this case its quite likely that somebody at the company made an honest mistake when the confidentialty agreements were sent out. People make mistakes all the time.)

I still love to see the "Andrea" model!
selkie

Post by selkie »

Maybe a Tony Dixon with a pinkie hole for C?Image
Mastersound

Post by Mastersound »

I can understand that the manufacturer may be a bit dark about Dale's "Scoop", and I know Dale has emailed us to express his remorse at unwittingly breaking an embargo was apparently assumed by the manufacturer but not expressly stated. Like garycrosby I'm inclined to see this as one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time but the fun backfired. I'd respectfully suggest that any manufacturer of easily affordable whistles probably needs Chiff and Fipple more than Chiff and Fipple needs them, but life's too short for recriminations and ill feeling so have a beer together and you'll both feel a lot better.

The brand of instrument in question is pretty much unavailable here in South Australia and I can't justify spending US$30 at The Whistle Shop so it's a bit academic for me anyway. Maybe I should open a whistle shop here in Adelaide so people like me can walk out with armfuls of cheap whistles!

Like garycrosby I'm still waiting for The Andrea. Hey Mr Walton, show us your Andrea!
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Gary's about got it right, I think. Steve's game was done in the name of fun, as was Dale's post to those who had already ventured a guess (myself included). We couldn't post again, and the new whistle had been guessed already (maybe? maybe not? I guess I can't say?!), so...

A game...
In fun...
Whistles...

Humour, folks. And the benefit of the doubt in this case. Having observed Dale's wit - is that the correct word? :wink: - over the last few years, I think most of us recognize that he is a principled chap who'd not go out of his way do others harm. If one were to put the worst possible spin on his actions, then anything is possible, I suppose. Isn't that true of any situation? Why put the worst spin on someone's actions? Unless, of course, you're talking about politicians, but that's another story :wink:

Let's all remember that there's supposed to be some fun between all the other stuff. And, if you'd rather forget, then it's your choice.

Jef
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Just a clarification. The first I heard from the company about this new product was on March 9th (Saturday). This came in the form of a package. It included a letter explaining the new product, advanced copy of a proposed ad, sample whistles and no implication whatsoever of a need for confidentiality. This company HAS explicitly asked for confidentiality on several other occasions. Given the nature of the mailing, I assumed that confidentiality was not called for but immediately emailed to make sure. I got a response today that confidentiality was NOT required. I don't have regrets about how I've dealt with the manufacturer. I have regrets that Steve was hurt, which was not my intention. My intention was some light-hearted fun and games and, in this, I miscalculated. I'm not inclined to apologize further. Steve is free to go and free to return when and if he wishes.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Steve,
please reconsider. You have a public apology from Dale. Nobody would impute bad motive to Dale (except recorder-manufacturers). We are a big family of whistle-players here and in families, well, sh*t happens.

I am sure that many here would be as sorry as I to see you go. You've been a great person to have on the board and everyone whose ever done business with you and reported here was pleased. We need all the decent good-humored whistle dealers we can get here.

My suggestion is to pm or email Dale, and get this thing sorted out. Then check back with the mystery whistle manufacturer and make your announcement here on C&F. Dale has to do penance by posting another picture of the Undisputed for us to put captions under.

I'd really hate to see you go, and so would Dale.

Best,
Bloomfield
/Bloomfield
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

He who has never
inadvertently and in a well meaning
way gotten himself/herself into
a confusing situation, cast the first
stone.
DrRichard

Post by DrRichard »

Hmmm. Not sure what unsubscribing would accomplish... I don't think that any harm was intended in any direction, so why go? We'd miss you, and it _was_ a phun thread!

Richard
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

C'mon guys, don't pout over what was obviously just a bit of fun.

More important, what IS this mysterious "M" whistle?

A new "Máire" Sindt whistle, silver with engravings?

A Walton's "Molly" D, being even crappier than existing models?

Spill the beans, please! :smile:

Jens