How to behave at a session

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Nanohedron wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I would never, in a million years, have the guts to join in on a session...even if invited (the curse of a basically shy nature and low self-esteem). I can't imagine the kind of people who just bull their way in. :sniffle:

Redwolf
They're a lot of fun when the going is good. Shy is okay.
No...not for me. I just can't. I don't do well in groups of people anyway, and playing an instrument among strangers would be way more than I would ever be capable of. I don't even like to play around my family, to be honest. And I've been playing for years.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Father Emmet »

Redwolf wrote: I don't even like to play around my family, to be honest.
Redwolf
I have the opposite problem, my family doesn't like me to play around them!
janice

Post by janice »

moxy and Az- That's him alright! We were swapping Kevin Dooley stories at Goderich two nights ago as a matter of fact. I'll share some stories once I've recovered- the last three nights I didn't get to bed until 3.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Guys, I hope this fellow is not a member of the board. It's not really nice to openly slag someone, and I'd hate for him to stumble on this thread...
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Redwolf wrote:No...not for me. I just can't. I don't do well in groups of people anyway, and playing an instrument among strangers would be way more than I would ever be capable of. I don't even like to play around my family, to be honest. And I've been playing for years.

Redwolf
But don't you play for your Morris group? Even if the focus is on the dancers that's about as public as it gets.

I understand your feelings - I will play around family and friends, but at the Bay Area gatherings I generally only attempt to play along with a few tunes and spend most of my time listening. But I'm working on getting better, and will join in when I feel that I can add to (or not take away from) the music.

What helps me is playing at lunchtime at work. After a while, you get used to people walking by, or even coming up to listen (the hard part is responding when they say something without dropping the tune).

Can't image having the gall to do the session-wrecker number, though. I may well be that dense, but I surely hope not. :moreevil:
Last edited by DCrom on Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

DCrom wrote:
Redwolf wrote:No...not for me. I just can't. I don't do well in groups of people anyway, and playing an instrument among strangers would be way more than I would ever be capable of. I don't even like to play around my family, to be honest. And I've been playing for years.

Redwolf
But don't you play for your Morris group? Even if the focus is on the dancers that's about as public as it gets.

I understand your feelings - I will play around family and friends, but at the Bay Area gatherings I generally only attempt to play along with a few tunes and spend most of my time listening. But I'm working on getting better, and will join in when I feel that I can add to (or not take away from) the music.

What helps me is playing at lunchtime at work. After a while, you get used to people walking by, or even coming up to listen (the hard part is responding when they say something without dropping the tune).

Can't image having the gall to do the session-wriecker number, though. I may well be that dense, but I surely hope not. :moreevil:
I do...but only because I'm the only musician available, and only because nobody knowledgeable really listens to me (the dancers and the teacher are not in any way musicians...I could sit there and hum and so long as the tune was more or less recognizable, they wouldn't know the difference). Playing with other musicians is a whole different story.

Redwolf
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

avanutria wrote:Guys, I hope this fellow is not a member of the board. It's not really nice to openly slag someone, and I'd hate for him to stumble on this thread...
*Pipe curmudgeon mode ON*

It would serve him right, wouldn't it?

*curmudgeon mode OFF*

Maybe he might learn something? :roll:
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

janice wrote:moxy and Az- That's him alright! We were swapping Kevin Dooley stories at Goderich two nights ago as a matter of fact. I'll share some stories once I've recovered- the last three nights I didn't get to bed until 3.
Was Bozo in Goderich? That would be a good reason enough not to go! :-)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

avanutria wrote:Guys, I hope this fellow is not a member of the board. It's not really nice to openly slag someone, and I'd hate for him to stumble on this thread...
You're right Beth. I'll try to think Bozo in my head and try not to say Bozo out loud :lol:
janice

Post by janice »

I'm with Pat on this one...

No, Az, he wasn't at Goderich this year, but two years ago. He destroyed several wonderful sessions including one attended by Sean Keene, Tony McManus, Patrick Orceau, Loretto and Brian Taheny amongst others...
moxy

Post by moxy »

Beth, you're absolutely right... I'm refraining from now on.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Ha,
If you can't take the heat,stay out of the kitchen.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The analogy seems to point simply to manners and humility...although the Walden way does have its endearing qualities... :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Well, one way to look at it is, this may be a kind way for him to find out that he needs to change his approach. If he is a member here, either he's in lurk mode or we don't know him by his real name...so all he has to do at the next session is lose the hat, maybe trim the beard, moderate his approach and no one the wiser (well, maybe except for those of you who are good at remembering names...what was my name again? :roll: ). Sometimes "overhearing" this kind of thing can be beneficial, if you know what I mean.

Has anyone ever taken this guy aside at a session and asked him to tone it down?

Redwolf
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

YAKST.

blech