Ireland = Atlantis?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Random notes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ireland = Atlantis?

Post by Random notes »

Hot News Item:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=5899085

... just thought some here might be interested.

Roger
missy

Post by missy »

nah - anyone that has read Clive Cussler knows Atlantis is in the ice somewhere in the Antartic!!! :D

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hmmm....it might explain the stories of the Tuatha Dé Danann. Atlantis was supposed to be fabulously advanced.

Maybe if digs unearth ancient flying machines I'll be convinced.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

But, if Atlantis was in the Emerald Isle, where was Tartarus, home of steak tartare?
Reasonable person
Walden
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Yeah. And if McDonald's is Scottish, how is it that the Hamburgler is from Hamburg? Huh? Huh? What are they gonna server now? McHaggiswurst?
McHaggisbraten?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I just talked to someone recently who firmly believes aliens put humans on earth in the ancient past (or genetically bred us). She gave me a book by Zachariah Sitchin, who claims ancient Sumerian hieroglyphs or whatever demonstrate (prove conclusively) that we had advanced civilization and technology a million years ago as well as knowledge of the cosmos that is only now being verified by recent space probes. Do a search on Sitchin if you want to read some really weird stuff.
Tony
(No, I'm not convinced of any of this. :roll: )
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”

Post by Guest »

Ah but there were snakes in Atlantis and there have never been any in Ireland.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

toasty wrote:Ah but there were snakes in Atlantis and there have never been any in Ireland.
Imageit was :twisted: all in vain boy, they're back again Image
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

"I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters.

Uh, I'm not.

I didn't know that mood altering recreational drugs were that big in Scandinavia
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Chuck_Clark wrote:"I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters.

Uh, I'm not.

I didn't know that mood altering recreational drugs were that big in Scandinavia
just throw it back chuck, you're only in saoudi arabia...
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

What is this guy on. :lol:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

To take Plato literally, you'd have to believe that he had accurate knoweldge of a civilization further in the past, in his day, than any we have information on today, even with carbon dating, archeology and all the other developments Plato had no access to.

There was a civilization destroyed by volcanic activity on Thera (Santorini) about 1,000 years before Plato's time which he could plausibly have had some sketchy knowledge about. We actually know about the eruptions of the main volcano there, know about those eruptions periodically causing part of the island to sink and other parts to rise and we have found evidence of an advanced civilisation from the period I mentioned. That is the most plausible candidate I know of but we'll never know I suspect.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Thera/Santorini is the ideal candidate for several reasons, not merely location and period but also because the big eruption at Thera is now thought to have much exceeded such blasts as Krakatoa and seems to coincide very precisely with the sudden decline of the Minoan civilization on Crete. So, in fact, it really did bring down what for its time was a great trading civilization.

The one tag that lets the Bermuda/Ireland/wherever theorists and/or crackpots ignore the overwhelming evidence pointing to Thera is that Plato located the "continent" of Atlantis "bryond the Pillars of Hercules" (Gibraltar), i.e. somewere in the Atlantic. I personally believe this was Plato's way of saying "Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away".
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Chuck_Clark wrote:Thera/Santorini is the ideal candidate for several reasons, not merely location and period but also because the big eruption at Thera is now thought to have much exceeded such blasts as Krakatoa and seems to coincide very precisely with the sudden decline of the Minoan civilization on Crete. So, in fact, it really did bring down what for its time was a great trading civilization.
I've visited both Thera and Crete and it seems that the explosion, if indeed it did bring down the Minoan civilization which is possible, at least brought down a civilization flourishing on Thera itself and distinct from the Minoan. I think the term used for it is Cycladic. Recent excavations on Thera revealed a city from that period with murals that are quite distinctive and very different from anything I saw at Knossos or elsewhere in Crete.

The main active volcano on Thera is now mainly submerged in the harbour with its magnificent caldera forming the edge of that harbour. The smoking cone containing teh crater is a small island a few hundred metres off shore. The water around the cone is very warm and sulphuric. An eruption a few hundred years ago buried the rest for the volcano whilst raising from the seabed the plains area which is now the agricultural part of the island. I assume this process of reshaping happens every few hundred years.
Chuck_Clark wrote:The one tag that lets the Bermuda/Ireland/wherever theorists and/or crackpots ignore the overwhelming evidence pointing to Thera is that Plato located the "continent" of Atlantis "bryond the Pillars of Hercules" (Gibraltar), i.e. somewere in the Atlantic. I personally believe this was Plato's way of saying "Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away".
Thera is one of the more distant Cycladic islands from Athens. The Pillars of Hercules could be almost anything. For example, there is a narrow straight between Paros and Naxos, both of which are mountainous. But the pillars could be any impressive landmark, natural or man-made.
emmitt2u

Post by emmitt2u »

Where would the submerged portion be?