favorite Irish band?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

what's your favorite Irish band?

Bothy Band
21%
Chieftains
25%
Planxty
8%
Lunasa
24%
Dervish
7%
Altan
15%

Total votes: 75

dlovrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlovrien »

BrassBlower wrote:I guess you could say that Lunasa are to Trad what the Ventures are to rock and roll.
What a terrible insult to Lunasa! The talent level is not even remotely comparable. The Ventures were hacks.

FLOOK!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

dlovrien wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:I guess you could say that Lunasa are to Trad what the Ventures are to rock and roll.
What a terrible insult to Lunasa! The talent level is not even remotely comparable. The Ventures were hacks.

FLOOK!
I think you're missing the point. Compared to other rock bands, many of them very rough, the Venures were slick and soulless.

Perhaps that's slightly unfair to Lunasa. But only slightly. :wink:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Redwolf wrote:I love Altan for the vocals. I'm also still very fond of the Irish Rovers, both their 1970s stuff and their current stuff. Oooo...and let's not forget Solas and Danu!

Did I mention that I LIKE singing? I really prefer an album to have a good mixture of vocal music and instrumental...assuming, that is, that they have a good vocalist.

Redwolf
I was going to include the Irish Rovers, and several others, but hit the wrong button. I wonder how much of a difference it would make in the poll.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
pedro

Post by pedro »

I would vote for Patrick Steet, but they were not on the list, and also Clannad-------------- pedro :D

Re: favorite Irish band?

Post by Guest »

blackhawk wrote:What's your favorite Irish band?
Tulla Ceilidh Band

Serious

and for fun

The Dubliners

no problem!
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I like most of those listed, different groups for different times, I'd add Deante; although, they've disbanded.

Also as for singing, I like some groups with singing and I like other's without. To me, it just part of the wider scope of the music.

As for Lunasa having soul, their music may not connect with every soul, but it does mine. But then again my soul was warped growing up with that evil Rock music from Cream, to Iron Butterfly, to Jethro Tuhl, to the Doors, and The Who. I probably hear their music differently, My daughter hears Punk Rock different than I do because it reflects the anger and frustration that she and her social group feel about the condition of the world that was left for them to inherit.

Whichever is your favorite, bravo that you ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
mman

Post by mman »

Danu
trisha

Post by trisha »

Flook (mostly) (today).

Trisha
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

trisha, isn't flook mind-boggling....i just love em.
they're up there with lunasa and mike mcgoldrick.
:)
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

LeeMarsh wrote: As for Lunasa having soul, their music may not connect with every soul, but it does mine. But then again my soul was warped growing up with that evil Rock music from Cream, to Iron Butterfly, to Jethro Tuhl, to the Doors, and The Who...
...Bohinta, Avalon Rising...

Any other psyche-Celtic listeners here?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I can't believe no one mentioned De Danaan...c'mon guys, Frankie Gavin, Alec Finn, Jackie Daly and Dolores Keane? (whoever THEY are) :roll:

Planxty remains my favorite of those listed, although sometimes the songs get tedious - I want Andy and Christy to just shut the F--- up and let Liam play the pipes!
starman

Post by starman »

blackhawk wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:
fiddlecrazy wrote:I like vocal bands, but there are far to many of them. Very rarely do you see an instrumental band. Another reason I like Lunasa.
I guess you could say that Lunasa are to Trad what the Ventures are to rock and roll.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm old enough to understand that one!
Me too!!! :D

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Pat Cannady wrote:Planxty remains my favorite of those listed, although sometimes the songs get tedious - I want Andy and Christy to just shut the F--- up and let Liam play the pipes!
I've never before admitted it, but I feel the same way. I hope I don't get hit by lightening! :o
Mike
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Planxty remains my favorite of those listed, although sometimes the songs get tedious - I want Andy and Christy to just shut the F--- up and let Liam play the pipes!
You bet! But, also, Donal Lunny's bouzouki playing and the whistle playing gets me going as well. The whistle intro to 'P' Stands for Paddy. (Oh yeah, that's a song. But, it's a good song. I try to focus on Lunny's bouzouki during that one. Amazing rhythms/harmonies. Almost had me taking up the bouzouki.)

Chieftains has a lot of good stuff. Lots of great whistle playing, too.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

they're not my favourites, but i like the saw doctors http://www.sawdoctors.com/Merchant2/mer ... ry_Code=CS