To surreal to be funny, music downloads and secrets

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

To surreal to be funny, music downloads and secrets

Post by MarkB »

File swapping lays bare U.S. secrets

From the Boston Globe via The International Herald Tribune:

In part:

"Leak of sensitive documents traced to music downloading

BOSTON Sensitive military secrets may be available through the same file-sharing software used by millions to swap illegal music and movie files. Rick Wallace, a computer user in Germany whose wife serves with the U.S. Army there, said he had used the popular file-swapping program LimeWire to download military duty rosters, discussions of tactics and other secret files. He said the problem probably had been caused by military personnel using LimeWire to download music files, unaware that they were also exposing secret information stored on their own computers. A terrorist or enemy combatant with Internet access could obtain valuable information about U.S. military operations merely by downloading it, he said...."

If this wasn't true it would be funny :boggle:

I guess "Military intelligence," is an oxy-moron :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I await martial law. :o
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:)

That would explain all that weird stuff I got when all I wanted was Dylans "Masters of War".

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Yeah, I was looking for Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits and found out I'm on a hit list in Argentina.
Tony
Blows my vacation plans.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

TonyHiggins wrote:Yeah, I was looking for Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits and found out I'm on a hit list in Argentina.
Tony
Blows my vacation plans.
"Do not cry for me, Argentina"? :D

But it was kind of neat to find that there's a whole group of wannabe barbarian Arnie fanboys who worship me as a god! :P
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:I await martial law. :o
If it didn't sound flaky, I'd say the government probably concocted the whole thing as an excuse to get an even tighter grip.
Reasonable person
Walden
burnsbyrne

Re: OT: To surreal to be funny, music downloads and secrets

Post by burnsbyrne »

MarkB wrote:File swapping lays bare U.S. secrets

From the Boston Globe via The International Herald Tribune:

In part:

"Leak of sensitive documents traced to music downloading

BOSTON Sensitive military secrets may be available through the same file-sharing software used by millions to swap illegal music and movie files. Rick Wallace, a computer user in Germany whose wife serves with the U.S. Army there, said he had used the popular file-swapping program LimeWire to download military duty rosters, discussions of tactics and other secret files. He said the problem probably had been caused by military personnel using LimeWire to download music files, unaware that they were also exposing secret information stored on their own computers. A terrorist or enemy combatant with Internet access could obtain valuable information about U.S. military operations merely by downloading it, he said...."

If this wasn't true it would be funny :boggle:

I guess "Military intelligence," is an oxy-moron :D

MarkB
I didn't know the music and movies were illegal. No wonder the recording industry wanted to close down Napster. :lol:
Mike
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

TonyHiggins wrote: ...and found out I'm on a hit list in Argentina.
Because you're a Frank Sinatra fan?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Walden stated
If it didn't sound flaky, I'd say the government probably concocted the whole thing as an excuse to get an even tighter grip.
I wonder if the music industry is working with the military, or is given the excuse to shut file sharing.

I still hold to my last statement, I don't think any government or military organization is that brilliant or intelligent to carry something like this off.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

What good is Martian law gonna do? I didn't think we were supposed to go there until...mmmmmm...Bush's forth term?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Walden wrote:If it didn't sound flaky, I'd say the government probably concocted the whole thing as an excuse to get an even tighter grip.
Uhm, are those black helicopters keeping you up nights, Walden? :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

OutOfBreath wrote:
Walden wrote:If it didn't sound flaky, I'd say the government probably concocted the whole thing as an excuse to get an even tighter grip.
I say... I say... I say... President Carter... I say... President Carter is a great American!
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

OutOfBreath wrote:
That's not funny! I've seen...well almost seen those. They were right above my car once while I drove through the Great Dismal Swamp in North Carolina. When I looked out the window to see them they'd move to the other side. Tricky little devils.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hey, I know one of the pilots of the black helicopters, and he has assured me that they don't exist.

Steven
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I once lived near the town of Cyril, and it was pronounced like surreal. Stank awful. There was an oil refinery there.
Reasonable person
Walden