Houston, we have a problem!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gerry

Houston, we have a problem!

Post by Gerry »

Hi everyone, I picked up my first whistle at the end of last year and have been playing it on and off ever since.

Over that last couple of weeks, however, I've REALLY to into this whistling lark. But I just noticed today that I've been holding it wrong (right hand at the top!) please tell me it doesn't matter! I really don't want to retrain my fingers at this stage.

:oops:
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Traditionally, people played it both ways. There's nothing really wrong with playing the way you do, and it's a good convesation starter! :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

:)
No problem Gerry. I have seen many left handed people play right over left and they had no problems.
Some of the worlds greatest Musicians are/were left handed and played in unconventional positions.
Jimi Hendrix was a lefty and he seemed to manage .
Paul Simon,Albert King and Glen Cambell (a formidable guitarist,believe me.) are some others that spring to mind.

Mmmm, maybe you're not lefthanded......

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Houston, we have a problem!

Post by Wanderer »

Gerry wrote:Hi everyone, I picked up my first whistle at the end of last year and have been playing it on and off ever since.

Over that last couple of weeks, however, I've REALLY to into this whistling lark. But I just noticed today that I've been holding it wrong (right hand at the top!) please tell me it doesn't matter! I really don't want to retrain my fingers at this stage.

That's the way I hold one too. But then again, I'm not necessarily the poster child of what you 'should' do ;)
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Don't believe them. They are just setting you up. Playing that was is totally wrong and you will be teased for years to come just for mentioning it here. You will need to IMMEDIATELY change your playing style or ....

Wait a minute ....

Oh, nevermind.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Gerry,
It should pose no problem as long as you don't get the new strain of WhOA that causes folks to pursue flutes. You will either have to get a left hand flute or readjust your fingering at that point.

To the left or right, just ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

If you decide, after a while, to play the simple system flute, you will have to order one made for left-handed players (the embouchure hole will be cut differently). It will be hard to resell. You will not be able to switch to Boehm flute, because they are made for right-handed players.
~JessieD
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I saw Seamus Egan playing whistle "wrong hand 'round" and flute in the conventional position and I'll be d*mned if I can fathom how he knows which fingers to lift.

If I had gotten to you earlier, I would have suggested that left hand on top will make it easier to move on to a side-blown flute....but if you get and Irish keyless flute, you can play it lefty too. (A Boehm flute would present more of a challenge.)

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dude, youre fine - you're not holding the whistle wrong, you're just looking at yourself in a mirror from China.

Loren
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

You guys play whistle with your hands!?! :-? I hadn't thought of doing it that way! Good, now my feet won't get cold anymore! :D
"You have my undivided attention"
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

SirNick said
You guys play whistle with your hands!?! I hadn't thought of doing it that way! Good, now my feet won't get cold anymore!
Nick GOT PICS! Don't have many session mates do ya?

That I got to see!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

MarkB wrote:SirNick said
You guys play whistle with your hands!?! I hadn't thought of doing it that way! Good, now my feet won't get cold anymore!
Nick GOT PICS! Don't have many session mates do ya?

That I got to see!

MarkB
How am I supposed to take a picture if I'm playing the whistle? I only have ten toes you know! :lol:
"You have my undivided attention"
Rosee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rosee »

Isn't that what your hands are for?

Or are they too busy holding drinks?
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Gerry wrote:Hi everyone, I picked up my first whistle at the end of last year and have been playing it on and off ever since.

Two words: Mary Bergin. :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

[quote="BrassBlower]
Two words: Mary Bergin. :D[/quote]

Yeah, you don't want to be like her.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony