Tin Whistle Testimonials

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
McDiddy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tin Whistle Testimonials

Post by McDiddy »

Hey y'all, I'm new here. I just thought I'd give my short tin whistle story.

I'm 17 years old, and the third oldest in my family. My two older brothers became great piano players, and I was always more into athletics than learning to play music. My parents kinda wanted me to play the piano too, so I had piano lessons for about a year, but it didnt stick. The piano wasnt my thing.

I've always liked music, so I kinda wanted the play something. I dont like Rock music or anything like that, so I ruled out the idea of learning the bass or drums. I took up the fife for a little while, because I like wind instruments, but I wasnt very good at it, and I didnt have the right learning materials.

I love Irish folk music, and I heard from someone that tin whistles are cool. So I baught two little $3.50 Megs on ebay and tried them out. I love them! They are so simple yet so great at the same time. I feel like my fingers are dancing while my mind sets the tune.

I got my oldest bro hooked on them too, and now he's even better than I am. I've been playing for about 8 months now, I think.

Now I have something I truely enjoy to do on my free time. Its great.

My favorite songs are Road to Lisdoonvarna, Boys of Bluehill, The Swallowtail jig, and Be Thou My Vision.

Anyways, thats me. Thanks for reading. :D
No man, however great, is known to everybody and no man, however solitary, is known to nobody.

- Thomas Moore -
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Tin Whistle Testimonials

Post by Bloomfield »

McDiddy wrote:My favorite songs are Road to Lisdoonvarna, Boys of Bluehill, The Swallowtail jig, and Be Thou My Vision.
I see that you are a man with a penchant for the unconventional. The road less traveled, and all that!

Welcome! ;)
/Bloomfield
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Hi McDiddy,
Welcome to the show that never ends. If you're looking for people who march to the beat of a different drummer/bodhran, this place is swarming with them. I'm curious how a 17yr old got interested in something like Irish trad music. My kids are your age and they think I'm a nerd for playing it. You're at a good age to get started. Stick with it and you'll be rich some day. (Just kidding, but who knows?)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
McDiddy

Post by McDiddy »

I'm curious how a 17yr old got interested in something like Irish trad music. My kids are your age and they think I'm a nerd for playing it.

Well, rock music gives me a headache. In my mind its not even music. Neither is rap, hip hop, pop, or heavy metal. :oops:

For me trad Irish music is really exciting. Most of the music I listen to are from movies, like Rudy, The Patriot, Braveheart, and many others.

I also have some Irish blood in me. That may have something to do with it.
No man, however great, is known to everybody and no man, however solitary, is known to nobody.

- Thomas Moore -
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

TonyHiggins wrote:...My kids are your age and they think I'm a nerd for playing it. ...
We're all biting our tongues here, Tony. :D
/Bloomfield
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I was 17 when I started
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

We're all biting our tongues here, Tony.
You're implying my whistle playing has nothing to do with my lack of coolness? And your reasoning is that you play the whistle and you're cool? That a fact? :roll:

I mean, if it was an accordion, I could understand. (Is it my plaid polyester shirts?)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
lonewhistler

Post by lonewhistler »

...welcome to Chiff and Fipple, McDiddy. I agree with you that rap and hip-hop are not very good excuses for music. However, I firmly believe that there are some very quality rock and metal bands out there that qualify for some outstanding listening. Either way, I'm glad you havn't fallen into the MTV trap that so many folks your age have. Keep away from the mainstream crap!!! :moreevil:
Always keep your mind open to different kinds of music. I'm listening to stuff now that I would've shunned five years ago. You just never know.
What part of Arizona are you in? I'm in Flagstaff myself. We need more whistle players here in the glorious Southwest!!
Take care and good luck...
"...patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings" - "Sweetheart Like You" by Bob Dylan
McDiddy

Post by McDiddy »

What part of Arizona are you in? I'm in Flagstaff myself. We need more whistle players here in the glorious Southwest!!
I'm in Glendale. It doesnt seem like AZ is the happening place for tin whistlers, but that doesnt stop me. :D

- Thomas Moore -
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

TonyHiggins wrote:
We're all biting our tongues here, Tony.
You're implying my whistle playing has nothing to do with my lack of coolness? And your reasoning is that you play the whistle and you're cool? That a fact? :roll:

I mean, if it was an accordion, I could understand. (Is it my plaid polyester shirts?)
Tony
Tony, we all know that you gave away the accordion :lol:

My daughter thinks you're a pretty cool guy, just like Lance and Aldon. ;) But not anywhere near as cool as your mother. :D

Me, I was a nerd long before I took up tinwhistle.
McDiddy

Re: Tin Whistle Testimonials

Post by McDiddy »

Bloomfield wrote:
McDiddy wrote:My favorite songs are Road to Lisdoonvarna, Boys of Bluehill, The Swallowtail jig, and Be Thou My Vision.
I see that you are a man with a penchant for the unconventional. The road less traveled, and all that!

Welcome! ;)
Umm... I was wondering about what you said there. Do you mean that those particular songs arent very popular, or do you mean Irish trad in general?

- Thomas Moore -
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Hey...I started playing the tin whistle at 15!

You're off on a life-long addict...er...hobby, McDiddy!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
katshan

What if you start when you're OLD????

Post by katshan »

Makes me wonder what happens if you start playing the whistle when you're almost 53??? Is there any hope for someone with an AARP card??? For years the sound of the whistle that I heard in movies that amazed me was mistaken as being made by a Recorder. I was clueless. Never knew anyone who played the whistle, it was all new territory. Took a while to learn that the beautiful, haunting sound was a whistle. Hope someday to be able to play whistle in our dulcimer group. Just hoping that there's someone else out there who began playing after the kids were gone!! Ha! :lol:
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Hi McDiddy! I'm 17 too. I started whistle when I was 14,I think.
In case anybody's interested,I got into Irish music when I heard a local "Celtic Band" playing one St. Patrick's day.I'd never liked popular music,rock,rap,etc.I liked to listen to and play classical music before I discovered Irish.As soon as I did,I had to play that music! I don't know why.I started buying CDs and playing tunes on guitar and recorder.
I then somehow acquired a whistle,and then a few more,and then a silver flute at a thrift shop for $100,and then a few more whistles,and then a wooden flute,and now a practice set of pipes! This is getting out of hand.But I can't help it,this is my life now!
-Kelly
McDiddy

Post by McDiddy »

You cant help but feel happy when playing Irish music... :D

- Thomas Moore -