Wooden Low F Makers?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Wooden Low F Makers?

Post by IDAwHOa »

I know Grinter does.

I know Bleazey does not.

Any other players out there in the wooden Low whistle space?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Jon Swayne (long wait)
~JessieD
tubafor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tubafor »

Doesn't Glenn Schultz of Thin Weasel fame make a low F?
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

JessieK wrote:Jon Swayne (long wait)
This reminds me: I'm on Jon's waiting list for a Low D, but I've decided that purchase is simply not in my budget, especially since I prefer the flute and don't yet have the sort of flute I need, so I was going to cancel my Swayne Low D order. However, if anyone here is interested in a Swayne Low D, without the long wait, drop me an email and we'll see if we can work something out (I'm not looking to make a profit.)

Loren
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Schultz does. I'm not nearly as thrilled with his PVC low-F as I am all the others, but F isn't really my key. If his E, C, and Bflat are anything to go by (and they are), his wooden low-F will be MUCH better than the PVC. That's saying a lot, especially about the Bflat.

I think Yvon LeCoant makes a low-F, too.

My wait for Swayne whistles was shorter than my wait for Grinters (about 8 months vs. a year). Makers such as Jon and Michael do work in batches, though, so wait time depends largely on on what they're up to (pipes, flutes, recorders, whistles).

Schultz works in a number of woods, while for whistles, Swayne is exclusively boxwood and Grinter almost exclusively cocobolo. I think LeCoant works in a few woods -- blackwood, mopane, maybe a couple of others.

You can always ring up Glenn and try one out. If you don't like it, just return it and get on someone else's list.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Most of us who play wooden low Fs play Grinters I suspect. Mine is one of my favourite whistles. I'm a bit curious as to why you wouldn't want one. Or are you just window shopping to see what's out there?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Just realized I should mention the price of the Swayne Low D whistle: 350 pounds sterling, plus shipping, which at todays exchange rate would be around $637. for the whistle alone.........

Loren
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Wombat wrote:Most of us who play wooden low Fs play Grinters I suspect. Mine is one of my favourite whistles. I'm a bit curious as to why you wouldn't want one. Or are you just window shopping to see what's out there?
Just shopping right now. Since Chas won't trade his Grinter Low F for one of my Copelands :sniffle: , I have to go see what else is available. I have contacted Michael and he quoted me 350 Euros and a 6 month waiting time.

Thanks for all the discussion.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
trisha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by trisha »

Grinter Low F is indeed a wonderful whistle. I don't like his double pricelist though.

Can't comment on the Le Coant F if he does make one - I have a G which is a nice whistle, but the head is very chunky and - dare I say it - re@@@der-like. Very well made. I have also played the Low D which uses a load of air and weighs a ton, but is a mighty fine whistle.

Trisha
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

trisha wrote:Grinter Low F is indeed a wonderful whistle. I don't like his double pricelist though.
Given the size of the Australian economy compared to his market—mainly America and Europe—either he or his Australian customers could get into serious trouble if he agrees to a price at time of order unless he has some hedge against massive exchange fluctuations. The Aussie dollar has been doing pretty well recently compared to how it had been doing for about 10 years but things can change very dramatically very suddenly. People in America and Britain aren't experiencing anything like the exchange-rate nightmare that we face more often than not. The current rate isn't terribly unfair; it's just that trading partners had come to expect that anything from Australia was a bargain.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Does Grinter have a couble price list? Having made a couple of purchases from him and still having an order open, I've never been aware of that. I know he's gone from quoting prices in US dollars awhile back to currently quoting them in euros, but whatever price he quotes when you order is what he charges.

BTW, I'm quite fond of my Grinter D and low-F, but the low-G is right up there with my favorite Thin Weasels as one of the best whistles I've played.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

chas wrote:Does Grinter have a couble price list? Having made a couple of purchases from him and still having an order open, I've never been aware of that. I know he's gone from quoting prices in US dollars awhile back to currently quoting them in euros, but whatever price he quotes when you order is what he charges.

BTW, I'm quite fond of my Grinter D and low-F, but the low-G is right up there with my favorite Thin Weasels as one of the best whistles I've played.
Oh right. I was thinking of his one-price-for Australians, another-for-others approach. I think that's fair. I'd forgoten that he seems to swap about with the foreign currency he quotes in. There might be a good reason for that though. For example, he might have changed the way he banks and found Euros more convenient. I doubt it though. I think he's looking for a stable currency that protects him.

Because the Australian economy is tiny compared to the US or Europe or Japan or China—indeed most of our main trading partners—we feel a bit like a paper boat on the ocean when making commitments to deliver overseas for a certain price down the track. If things went really badly with our trading partners, we could have an Argentinian experience and it wouldn't matter how strong our domestic economy was if that's how the chips fell elsewhere. It has never happened in a really big way in living memory—the 1930s aside—but we are acutely aware of the possiblility. For example, the Japanese economy has been in a precarious position for a long time and a collapse there would have very serious ramifications for us, and, indeed, for the whole region.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

NorCalMusician wrote:
Wombat wrote:Most of us who play wooden low Fs play Grinters I suspect. Mine is one of my favourite whistles. I'm a bit curious as to why you wouldn't want one. Or are you just window shopping to see what's out there?
Just shopping right now. Since Chas won't trade his Grinter Low F for one of my Copelands :sniffle: , I have to go see what else is available. I have contacted Michael and he quoted me 350 Euros and a 6 month waiting time.

Thanks for all the discussion.
How about stopping the whistle buying long enough to learn to play a few tunes? Agh, never mind. :)
/Bloomfield
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I wonder if Mack Hoover has started making wooden low whistles. I know he has made some high D's.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Bloomfield wrote:How about stopping the whistle buying long enough to learn to play a few tunes?
But then the whistle economy would collapse, and we'd all have to back to playing cardboard tubes with randomly spaced holes!