Hell and Profit

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hell and Profit

Post by TonyHiggins »

Believing in Hell Has Its Benefits

Wed Jul 28, 8:45 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Economists searching for reasons why some nations are richer than others have found that those with a wide belief in hell are less corrupt and more prosperous, according to a report by the Federal Reserve (news - web sites) Bank of St. Louis.

Researchers at the regional Federal Reserve bank acknowledged the importance of productivity and investment in the economic process but looked at some recent unconventional efforts to explain differences in national prosperity.

The St Louis Fed drew on work by outside economists who studied 35 countries, including the United States, European nations, Japan, India and Turkey and found that religion shed some useful light.

"In countries where large percentages of the population believe in hell, there seems to be less corruption and a higher standard of living," the St. Louis Fed said in its July quarterly review.

For instance, 71 percent of the U.S. population believe in hell and the country boasts the world's highest per capita income, according to the 2003 United Nations (news - web sites) Human Development Report and 1990-1993 World Values Survey.

Ireland, not far behind the United States in terms of income, likewise has a healthy fear of a nether world with 53 percent of the population acknowledging hell's existence.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

I wonder what proportion of the richest Americans believe in hell?
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I wonder what proportion are going there?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Maybe being rich tends to make people believe in hell.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

vomitbunny wrote:Maybe being rich tends to make people believe in hell.
Some rich people make me want to believe in it. I'm just glad the Catholic church stopped handing out those plenary-indulgences-for-cash.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

TonyHiggins wrote:I wonder what proportion are going there?
Tony
Well, you know the saying Tony: "Easier for a Camel to pass through the fipple of a Soprano F whistle........"

Loren
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I acknowledge the existence of hell. I don't believe that the fear of hell is ultimately what sways one to right or wrong living. Isn't there a high percentage in Saudi Arabia who believe in the abode of the damned, as well?
Reasonable person
Walden
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Loren wrote:
Well, you know the saying Tony: "Easier for a Camel to pass through the fipple of a Soprano F whistle........"

Loren
What has cigarettes got to do with it? :-?
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:I acknowledge the existence of hell. I don't believe that the fear of hell is ultimately what sways one to right or wrong living. Isn't there a high percentage in Saudi Arabia who believe in the abode of the damned, as well?
And there are quite a few rich ones over there--and probably quite a few "moral" ones, as well. Whether they're the same ones or not is another question.

(If I recall correctly, lending money for interest is forbidden somewhere along the way in Islam. In theory, this should mean that there couldn't be any Muslim bankers--or at least that they wouldn't be considered moral.)

I didn't really have anything useful to say on this topic, but I just needed a place to tell Walden that his avatars are getting cooler and cooler. :)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

TonyHiggins wrote:
Loren wrote:

Loren
What has cigarettes got to do with it? :-?
Belive me Tony, if you'd cleaned the blocks and windways of as many fippled instruments as I have, you'd understand.......Frickin' europeans smoke like you wouldn't believe, gross.

Loren
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Anyone whose name was not written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. So always remember to keep your receipt.
Current stage of grief: Denial