Where can I find really good whistling that will help me get

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kameo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Where can I find really good whistling that will help me get

Post by Kameo »

a feel for how my playing should evetually (hopefully!) sound. I want to learn to play well, not just by ear though, I want to read the music, too.
I'm looking for whistling without accompanyment so I can really concentrate on how it sounds.

Thanks for your help!
Kim
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/ is a good place to start for online. I'm sure others can lead you in other directions just it is a place to start. Note not all these are great some are new to the whistle but in my opinion if it says tony higgins it is a good start. some are accompanied you will have to sift. :) As tony said he has his clips just to show others, But still it is just some thing to listen to until you pick up some Cds.
Last edited by irishduffy on Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

There's a recent thread about Geraldine Cotter's Tutor (Method) and the recordings that come with it. Although I opined in that thread that some of the tracks on the 100-tune CD aren't the best performances, almost all of them sound pretty great, definitely good enough for any beginner! The book itself I find to be very helpful, too. I'm currently working through the tunes CD, using the Amazing SlowDowner for the tough passages, and checking myself against the included sheet music. I'd recommend the set. There are apparently other good book/CD sets, but I'll let someone else pipe in about those.

Have you searched this board yet? I'm sure there's been more than one discussion about this topic before.

I agree that Clips and Snips is a great resource, too. And Tony does sound pretty darn good.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Cathal McConnell has a book with accompanying CD where he not only plays the tunes but discusses and demonstrates techniques. It was what I started with and for someone who already played a wind instrument (saxophone) it was a good point of entry. People on this board tend to recommend other packages but I've looked them over and still prefer McConnell.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/ is a good place to start for online. ...Note not all these are great some are new to the whistle but in my opinion if it says tony higgins it is a good start. some are accompanied you will have to sift.
Dude...before someone squashes my delicate ego and I have to weep into my pillow...I'm still dubious about recommending these tunes as a learning experience. I do appreciate the compliment, but I might point out I've quite a long way to go (I'm working this all out without coaching and I'm struggling to get a peripheral glimpse at my own blind spots) and there are professionals on cd's that would serve you better. Clips was always intended as 'show and tell' for the board members, etc. (That's a topic that's been beat into the ground on this forum.)

You want to know who my heroes are? I'll tell you anyway.
Paddy Moloney, Sean Potts, Laurence Nugent, Mary Bergin. (There are more, but I'd start with those people.)
Chieftains 1 through 9. (My favorite is 5) Potts and Moloney on those.
Windy Gap by L Nugent.
Feadoga Stain by M Bergin

My first listening advice is to find things that are enjoyable. Nugent is great fun to listen to. Some people like his Two for Two cd better. He does a mixture of flute and whistle, by the way. Chieftains, too, is nice listening, but there is a lot of ensemble playing, not all whistle. A good amount of whistling, though by amazing players. Mary Bergin's 2 cd's may feel more like scholarly reference material. You have to be a real afficianado to appreciate those cd's, which are 'straightup whistling' with minimal backup. I've recently revisited them and am appreciating them more as I've learned by experience to figure out what she's doing. It's not background music- you have to focus.

Anyway, one of these days, I'll get off my lazy butt and read Grey Larsen's book, which I have and figure out how to do crans. I presume they're on the accompanying cd. :)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Sorry no pressure on you tony, I dont want people ripping into you because I said that. I felt that the site would be a place you could click and hear instantly, where you have to go buy a cd or book. :)
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I would recommend Brother Steve's whole website. When I discovered it, I finally was able to figure out why, while I was playing a whistle, I didn't sound like a whistler. The page Peter cites above is an especially good resource. It has transcriptions of great whistlers, complete with ornaments, and discussions of the tunes themselves as well as the particular renditions. You'll learn a lot about the music and whistle technique from going over one of those for a few hours.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

What about the Vinnie Kilduff video? I have seen it advertised in many places but have never heard anything from one that actually bought it.Is it helpful? I found LE McCulloughs video very helpfull.I would recommend it.