Humphrey Narrow Bore D Whistle Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Maybe we need a guide to "Jessie speak", hee. :wink:

Loren
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

As a little soundssample, I have just sent a little clipeen to Clips & Things, up as soon as Tony's ready.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

How does that whistle compare to the tweaked O'Briain in term of volume? The O'Briain is my favorite whistle, but it lacks some volume for a pub session, I think, although I'm always using it for private sessions.

Peter, could you just give me a "Equal Temperament and just Intonation For Dummies" quick crash course? I mean, what does it mean exactly? I noticed that the tuning of my concertina is somewhat different than my whistles for the FNat and C# for example, anything to do with this?
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Here's the best document i know about just (or pure) intonation:
http://traverso.baroqueflute.com/TRAV101.pdf
(it looks a little intimidating, but it's actually very readable)

I play the O'Briain regularly in a noisy session. I think the little percussive "pop" it has in the notes compensates for not having super-loud volume. But at least mine is louder than an untweaked FleaDog.

I have a Raindog whistle on order too, and i'm anxious to see if it will be the one that will retire my O'Briain.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Azalin wrote:Peter, could you just give me a "Equal Temperament and just Intonation For Dummies" quick crash course? I mean, what does it mean exactly? I noticed that the tuning of my concertina is somewhat different than my whistles for the FNat and C# for example, anything to do with this?
Equal temperament = piano, orchestra instruments (a tuning compromise to make playing in all keys possible, no matter how may sharps and flats).

Just temprament = uillean pipes (every note in tune against the drones).

Comparing the two, in just temprament (on a D whistle) F# and B will be flat compared to equal temperament.
/Bloomfield
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Equal temperament = piano, orchestra instruments (a tuning compromise to make playing in all keys possible, no matter how may sharps and flats).

Just temprament = uillean pipes (every note in tune against the drones).

Comparing the two, in just temprament (on a D whistle) F# and B will be flat compared to equal temperament.[/quote]

Thanks!
That's a great explanation.
"You have my undivided attention"
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

SirNick wrote:
That's a great explanation.
Mind you, though, it's quick and dirty. There's much more to the story, of course.
/Bloomfield
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Don't give me too many details. If I know too much I'll consider myself an authority on the subject which will lead to me becoming very boring at parties and generally a pain around. :D Actually, coming from a guitar and bass background, I was comparing the issue with the intonation nuances of the guitar fretboard.
"You have my undivided attention"
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Thanks Bloomy for the explanation, I'm getting over-excited now after reading this :P

Would you say that a concertina (fully chromatic) is tuned in equal temperament?

(it's hard to write a sentence when you don't know what half of the words in it mean)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Azalin wrote:Would you say that a concertina (fully chromatic) is tuned in equal temperament?
Yes.
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

A concertina may be tunes in a slightly different tuning as a compromise, Geoff Wooff has tuned concertinas in 'mean Tone Comma'. which sounded very sweet but don't ask me what it is exactly.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

If I check an instsrument which is tuned in equal temperament against a tuner, and I do the same with a standard whistle, how will it differ? My whistles tend to be in tune with every note in the keys of G and D, for example, and the C# is perfectly tuned.

The way you guys are talking, the C# on my concertina would also show as perfectly tuned on my tuner, but sounds a little different.

This is science-fiction for me, is there any logical explanation?
glauber

Post by glauber »

Peter Laban wrote:A concertina may be tunes in a slightly different tuning as a compromise, Geoff Wooff has tuned concertinas in 'mean Tone Comma'. which sounded very sweet but don't ask me what it is exactly.
It's more or less explained in the document i mentioned above. There are several ways to fake keyboard tuning so it's closer to pure/just intonation while still playable in more than one key. Mean Tone Comma is one of them. Werkmeister is a system that was popular with organ tuners, so i asked Gary to make me a whistle in that system. There are others, like Young and Valloti, which are popular with harpsichord players, still others that are popular with some piano players, etc.

All of this comes from the time before there were electronic tuners, when people had to tune things in pure intonation first using a reference pitch and pure fifths, then slightly detune them using many complicated instructions, to achieve a playable compromise.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Tune is posted on Clips. (My wife was hogging the computer, so I couldn't get at it yesterday. I, and unfortunately, Clips, is low priority at the house. No respect.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Azalin wrote:Thanks Bloomy for the explanation, I'm getting over-excited now after reading this :P

Would you say that a concertina (fully chromatic) is tuned in equal temperament?

You are thanking him for an explanation
you didn't seem to understand.
Ergo your redundant question.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit