Do you vent the high-D every time?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

BrassBlower wrote:
kevin m. wrote: This is FOLK music remember? ! :)
Of course it is! You never hear a cow playing it, do you?

:lol:
I almost added that old Louis Armstrong adage,when he was asked whether or not Jazz was folk music-his reply was"well I ain't ever heard no Horse play it!"
I meant it as a bit of a sly dig against the 'policing' of musical style and practise,and the whole concept of musical 'competition'.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

kevin m. wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:
kevin m. wrote: This is FOLK music remember? ! :)
Of course it is! You never hear a cow playing it, do you?

I almost added that old Louis Armstrong adage,when he was asked whether or not Jazz was folk music-his reply was"well I ain't ever heard no Horse play it!"
I meant it as a bit of a sly dig against the 'policing' of musical style and practise,and the whole concept of musical 'competition'.

:roll: It was Leadbelly,not Louis Armstrong.
Bloody Graniaud readers.

Slan,
D.
:wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Do you vent the high-D every time?

Post by Wanderer »

jhonan wrote:Should I be aiming to vent the high-D every time I play it?

For certain combinations of notes, I find it's easier to play xxxxxx instead of oxxxxx, especially if I'm cutting on the D
I ususally vent the high-d. But like you, I find some note combinations lend themselves to a non-vented high D.

Just like Kevin, I have read that some competition judges can e hard-asses about the point, and lower your score. Other than that, I don't think it's important at all.

Since I don't anticipate ever playing in a competition, I use whichever fingering is suggested by the flow of the tune.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I always vent just because it is a habbit it is more in tune that way for the record. :D
BoneQuint

Re: Do you vent the high-D every time?

Post by BoneQuint »

For me, venting the D makes it easier to avoid squeaks and squawks, especially when making larger leaps to the D. The breath control needed is less touchy. So I do it on slower tunes (because it usually sounds a bit nicer), and when it makes the tune easier to play. It does depend on the whistle though, some really let me get away with an unvented D, others are very touchy if I don't vent it.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have learned to always vent the D but I sometimes forget without much problem. My Oak whistle is very touchy and requires microscopically perfect breath control to jump to the high D if it's not vented. The Burke is more forgiving.

Also, I'm just learning crans and I find they sound better on a vented D.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
kevin m.

Pointless pedantry in a 'Grauniad' stylee.

Post by kevin m. »

dubhlinn wrote:
kevin m. wrote:
BrassBlower wrote: Of course it is! You never hear a cow playing it, do you?

:roll: It was Leadbelly,not Louis Armstrong.
Bloody Graniaud readers.

Slan,
D.
Being a 'Grauniad' reader,and pedantic with it too (is there any other sort?),I checked 'The Jazz Book' by respected German critic Joachim Berendt,and he quotes Louis Armstrong as saying:"Folk music?-Why Daddy,I don't know no other kind of music BUT Folk music.I ain't never heard a Horse sing a song."
Of course the 'Grauniad would probably attibute that quote to 'Lid Bolly' :wink:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:oops:
Ahem... I do believe that I have made a slight error of identification here,but in mitigation I would like to say that Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong both look a little alike to me but then again,one cannot say that to a Grauniad reader these days for fear of being considered a Jack-booted,filthy,disease spreading,child molesting,tax dodging,homophobic,misogynistic,non-T.V. Licence paying,sheep stealing,tory voting,alcoholic,bank robbing,Sun reading basmati.
So I will concede gracefully and hope that when you are finished knitting your organically grown muesli sweater,with those needles made by blind ,one-legged,Gay Eskimo mothers,it will be a perfect fit.

Slan,
D.

And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Dubhlinn,
I almost choked on my FairTrade coffee -ESKIMO???
Don't You know that the CORRECT term is INUIT?
Harrumph!!

Best. :wink:
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I wait untill the end of the tune or set, and then vent all the high Ds at once.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.