What whistle???????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

What whistle???????

Post by Whistling Willie »

Hi all,my wifes going to treat me to an Overton Soprano D,but I was just wondering what your opinion is on this whistle.I know everyone's tastes are different,but what would your first choice for a high D whistle be?
At the minute I have a Susato.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Copeland, Burke Black Tip Brass

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
GaryKelly

Re: What whistle???????

Post by GaryKelly »

Whistling Willie wrote:I know everyone's tastes are different,but what would your first choice for a high D whistle be?
Dunno. I haven't tried them all! But I'll get there eventually...

I have three on order and in the making...maybe one of them will end my search, who knows. :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Oh the fella spent his time whistle-playin
And he sought the perfect whistle for his hands,
And in every whistle he thought he heard somethin
That he'd never heard and couldn't understand

"Oh I can't make a Burke sound like a Copeland
And a Susato, it sounds different from them all!"
And his wife, she knew that tradegy was waitin
As she dreaded the day she'd hear them whistles fall

He put that whistle to his head and pulled the trigger,
As he tried to find the perfect whistle sound.
He spent every hard-earned dollar
Just to find the one that could make every sound.

She laid them in the ground under the willow
And she faced him with a court decree in hand:
"Boy if you so much as touch one whistle,
The cops will put the handcuffs on your hands!"

And the angles played a whistle lullaby:
Diddle-dee-dee la dee dee dee....

So hears to all you whistle-playin fellas
And hears to all you ladies who play, too:
Never forget that all the special whistles
Aren't worth half the price of someone who loves you.

(With apologies to Brad Paisley...) :D

--James
glauber

Post by glauber »

O'Briain Improved Feadog. About $40 from whistle and drum dot com.

But the Overton must be good too, because Colin and Brigitte are great.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

glauber wrote:O'Briain Improved Feadog. About $40 from whistle and drum dot com. Best whistle in the world.

warning opinions can go up as well as down and today's best whistle in the world might not be tomorrow's or yesterday's. Your home may be at risk if you acquire whistle collections you cannot afford.

But G...the Water Weasle? :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Lots of people chiming in on the metal whistles. Here are a couple to consider, although they may be a bit more expensive.

I have a Thin Weasel that I like really well. It is a pretty free player. Hardly notice the back pressure and it does not such my lungs out. approx. $300 new

I am starting to REALLY like my Bleazey. It has a real Overton-like feel to it, and it is LOUD! $300 range

I also have a Lon Dubh that came to me recently and I am still trying to get a feel for it. Quieter and has the lowest air requirements of the three. Almost $400 from W&D.

I do not have one, YET!, but Greenwood Pipes has been getting great reviews ever since he came on the market. He sells his for less than $200.

As far as other metal whistles go, don't forget the Alba line. She has the Q1 which is quiet and the SE which is a session workhorse.

Great poem, Peeps. I sure am glad my wife is nearly as addicted as I am and does not mind my purchase sprees as long as I play them or move them along.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber

Post by glauber »

GaryKelly wrote:
glauber wrote:O'Briain Improved Feadog. About $40 from whistle and drum dot com. Best whistle in the world.
warning opinions can go up as well as down and today's best whistle in the world might not be tomorrow's or yesterday's. Your home may be at risk if you acquire whistle collections you cannot afford.

But G...the Water Weasle? :)
Indeed they do. Mine do, at least. But see, i edited my post before i knew you were quoting it. I took off the "best whistle in the world" part because it's not really true. There are a lot of great whistles in this world.

The Water Weasel is a superb whistle and only marginally more expensive than the O'Briain. It may require a few interactions with the Maker (:)) before you get it right, though. The O'Briain seems to be more consistent and is easier to play. But either one of these is so good, that i don't see a need to spend more money. Unless you want a wooden whistle, or you really must have a Copeland, etc. Be my guest. Bring it over to the Chicago area so i can have a little blow, if you can.

The Water Weasel, BTW, is a very good simulation of the Thin Weasel. The only difference i noticed between mine and a very nice boxwood Thin Weasel was the wood whistle required more air pressure on the second octave. I guess this is what people call "backpressure"?

Disclaimer: up to now, the most expensive (high) whistle i've bought is a used Reyburn D/C set for $85. I have a Silkstone alloy D, but i bought it used for $65. I'm just about to buy a Raindog for $90, because Gary, Peter Laban and Bloomfield forced me to. But i'm getting it in Werkmeister III tuning, just to irritate them. :boggle:

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Generation redtop, but maybe that wouldn't make much of a birthday present.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Don't let them talk you out of the Overton. Call Colin and tell him you want an easy-blowing hi D on the quiet side.

Mmmmmmh.
/Bloomfield
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

The Overton is one of the most solidly constructed whistles I've seen. In that same price range it would be a hard choice between a Burke brass, Overton or an Alba Q1. They're all great whistles in all aspects. The Burke might have the purist sound out of the bunch. Song of the Sea has Overton D's in stock and Burke is usually very fast shipper. I have a feeling you'll end up owning most of the suggested whistles on this topic sooner or later. Your best bet is just to make a list and start ordering! Most importantly, it's sounds like you have a great wife!!
"You have my undivided attention"
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

SirNick wrote:The Overton is one of the most solidly constructed whistles I've seen. In that same price range it would be a hard choice between a Burke brass, Overton or an Alba Q1. They're all great whistles in all aspects. The Burke might have the purist sound out of the bunch. Song of the Sea has Overton D's in stock and Burke is usually very fast shipper. I have a feeling you'll end up owning most of the suggested whistles on this topic sooner or later. Your best bet is just to make a list and start ordering! Most importantly, it's sounds like you have a great wife!!
I suspect that Song of the Sea has Bernard Overton Overtons. Unless you've been playing for a while and know what you are doing, go with the Colin Goldie and ask for a (relatively) easy-blowing one.
/Bloomfield
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

All great suggestions,one of the problems I have is that with living in Northern Ireland I won't be able to try before I buy,that's why I'm trying to get as much feedback as I can before actually purchasing.The only shop over here that has any range of whistles is where I got my Susato,and the only "high end" whistle they do is the "Kerry Songbird" at least I think thats what it is called :boggle:
Anyway keep the opinions rolling in :D
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I certainly havn't tried them all, but my favorite has been the Humphrey, with my favorite tweaked gens and feadog close behind.
Oh and the Hoovers come in there somewhere too. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I suspect that Song of the Sea has Bernard Overton Overtons. Unless you've been playing for a while and know what you are doing, go with the Colin Goldie and ask for a (relatively) easy-blowing one.[/quote]

Song of the Sea has Goldies!
"You have my undivided attention"