OT - My mother's mother died today...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

OT - My mother's mother died today...

Post by JessieK »

She was sick for several years. She had a bunch of mini-strokes that led to the symptoms and decline of Alzheimers. For the last two years, my mother (whom I adore) was a prisoner in her own home (when she visited me, my dad had to stay home and/or they had to have home health care people), having to care for the body that used to house her mother. I have been less of a daughter than I should have been. To me, affection/warmth is the only thing that warrants love. My mother is one of the best people I know, warm and competent and funny and real, but her mother was a cold fish. She was monetarily generous with me, but never warm. I never developed warm feelings toward her (my other grandmother is totally different, and I adore her), so when she got sick, I didn't respond warmly. When she no longer remembered anything, I thought she should be put in a facility where she could receive good medical care, but my mother wouldn't have it. She took care of that body tirelessly. She went through the agony of her mother treating her like a stranger and biting her because she didn't know the difference between people and food. She changed her diapers and carried her and kept her warm. I didn't even want to hear about it. I was wrapped up in my own life. Esther's suffering is over and I have hope that my mom's life will now improve greatly. I hope, between now and the end of my mother's life, I will become a daughter worthy of her.
~JessieD
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

My condolences to you and your family.
Always remember the good times, no matter what bad ones there were.

Duffy
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

mycondolences to you and your family jessie.
:(
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

My condolences Jessie.

My maternal grandmother died a few years ago after a lengthy bedridden period where she had just brief moments of clarity and wakefulness. At 93 she had outlived nearly everyone of her generation, and it seemed she just wanted to die.

I can remember her now as the strong, happy lady that she was for so much of my life.

I am glad you value your mother so much. Most of us as not as good to our parents as we should be.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

My sympathies to you and your family, Jessie.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
GaryKelly

Re: OT - My mother's mother died today...

Post by GaryKelly »

My sympathies, Jessie, but it does sound like a blessed relief for all concerned. Remember the good times and don't dwell on the endings.
JessieK wrote:I hope, between now and the end of my mother's life, I will become a daughter worthy of her.
I suspect if you ask, your mother will tell you that you already are.

In our modern western world, bereavement always seems to evoke guilt and introspection. Better instead I think to celebrate the life that's passed, and all those it touched along the way. The ripples of our lives lap gently against the shores of so many others, and theirs against ours, down through the ages.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

<pre>
I will play a tune for your granmother
May she find the peace that the long epilog to her life
Had robbed her of.

I will play a tune for your mother
Free to settle in to the good memories of her mother,
Letting go the rest.
Free to make more good memories with her husband,
daughter,
grand-daughter.
I will play a tune for you
That you may find joy in having your mother returned,
I will play a tune for your daughter,
That she may more fully know and inherit
the heart of her mother
and grandmother.

I will play a tune for all of that which is unspoken
among the ladies of your family. </pre>
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Lee, thank you very much. You always seem to write beautiful things with ease.

I wish I had good memories to hold onto. But I don't. I have empty memories of her. I guess my mom has some good ones. She told me the other day that she believes her parents were lacking as people, but were good parents. I think being a good person helps someone to be a good parent, but my mom is entitled to her thoughts about them. Her father was a warm and brilliant man, if a bit critical and stubborn. When I spent time with them as a kid (they lived very near), I stayed with him. They slept in separate rooms (yes, she was a cold fish) and I stayed in his room. He got up with me and made me breakfast. He turned the heat up and played with me. He died with indignity, too, of long, drawn-out Parkinson's, ten years ago. To her credit, Esther cared for him until he died. So did my mom. I presume she will go through a multitude of feelings including relief and mortality. She is now the grandma. Hopefully, the next generation's cycle will be more smooth than this one has been.
~JessieD
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Please accept my condolences.

It helps to talk it through (and sometimes impossible NOT to). We are all fortunate to have this supportive forum in which to share our triumphs and tragedies.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

Vicki and I will be thinking of you and praying for you!

- Cal
squidgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

Jessie, my thoughts will be with you and your mother today. It's such a strange feeling when a family member's death is as much of a relief as a bereavement -- I, at least, felt that there wasn't an adequate societal paradigm for this situation, so it felt very awkward receiving the traditional condolences when the real situation was far more complex. But in a way, the situation made my family closer, because among ourselves we could honestly share the complexity of emotions the situation brought out in us. I can only hope that a similar deepening and strengthening of family bonds happens for you and yours.

Noel
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm so sorry, Jessie.

Sometimes the inability to show emotion masks a painfully sensitive soul. That "cold fish" facade can be a defense against the hurts the world can dish out. It's hard to know what may have happened in a person's life to make him or her that way. My paternal grandmother was like that, and I never developed the kind of close relationship with her that I had with my maternal grandmother or my own mother and father. It's only been in recent years...many years after her death...that I've started to get a handle on the "whys" of her life.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Thank you, Noel. Yes, it is complex. I am very close with my parents, and this whole situation has been the one thing that my mom and I disagreed about how to handle. She thought I was insensitive (I was) and I thought she wasn't thinking with her head (she wasn't). My dad has been wonderfully supportive of my mom, but he has talked to me about the stress of having this almost dead ex-person in his house for the last few years. We all agreed that it was time for her to die. I know my mom needs to grieve in her own way, and that it's not a matter of mourning the loss of what her mother had become, but rather, finally letting herself come to terms with the fact that the mother that she loved is never coming back.

I feel awkward calling my parents' house. I feel as if I should let my mom grieve without interfering. It's strange.
~JessieD
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Condolences Jessie. It's really important to have positive things to anticipate each day; you've got a lot to look forward to. Be well,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Redwolf wrote:Sometimes the inability to show emotion masks a painfully sensitive soul. That "cold fish" facade can be a defense against the hurts the world can dish out. It's hard to know what may have happened in a person's life to make him or her that way.
Good point! Back in the days of her childhood, divorce was extremely uncommon. Her father had an affair and his mistress told him she was pregnant. In 1927, when my grandmother was 11 and her brother was 10, her parents got divorced. Her father married the mistress and she turned out not to be pregnant. He divorced her after 5 years. He regretted breaking up his family and fell ill. My great grandmother took care of him and nurse him back to health. He committed suicide when his daughter (my grandmother) was around 30. Her mother took care of my mom when she was little and my mom adored her grandmother. I guess Esther was scarred from the traumas caused by her father. I never really thought about how that must have affected her.
~JessieD