Hi, I'm new

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Rosee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hi, I'm new

Post by Rosee »

I've been lurking here and going through the archives for the past week or two since I'm currently in a job where I'm at a computer all day, and thought it would only be polite to drop in and say "Hi."

I've actually played around on whistles for much of my life, starting with a C Sweetone (blue) with a large dent in the front. Currently I have Eb and G Susatos, a C Clarke original (my favorite) and an AWOL Little Black Whistle with a Bb Generation and a D Meg in the mail (I think I'm succumbing to WhOA)

I'm also lusting after a low D whistle. I come from a bassoon background, so low winds sound right to me. :)
chattiekathy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Welcome Rosee! :D

I think you have already caught WhOA! :lol:

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Welcome home :)
This is a great site, I'm sure you will love it.
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Hi ya, Rosee,

I'm an old bassoon player, too. Welcome! I still want to lift my thumb when I shift octaves on the whistle. Ugh...hard to teach an old dog new tricks but I keep trying. :)

So glad you left lurk mode to say Hi.

Peace,
Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Bassoon player myself actualy it was my first instrument (4 years in my school band started in sixth grade) who knew there were so many whistling Bassoon players. :D
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Hi, I'm new

Post by colomon »

Rosee wrote:I'm also lusting after a low D whistle. I come from a bassoon background, so low winds sound right to me. :)
Isn't it great to play an instrument where an "expensive" model costs about the same as a bassoon bocal, and cheap models cost less than a reed? :)
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

(And yes, I'm still an active bassoon player, though right now is about halfway through the long summer dry spell with no orchestra.)
Rosee

Post by Rosee »

I hear you on that. I'm in the midst of summer vacation myself, in a different part of the country from where I go to school no less. Of course, my bassoon was one of the things that got dragged all the way across the country with me, never mind the fact that there's no band or orchestra for me. I'm just lucky my neighbors don't mind my playing.

Bassoon costs are probably why WhOA set in so quickly. I don't blink at a $50 reed order, so $20 worth of whistles is nothing to me.
colomon

Post by colomon »

Yeah, I'd love to get one of those fancy new Fox ** bocals, but when you can get five or six handmade world-class whistles for the same price, it's really hard to justify the bassoon upgrade. (Besides, it never seems like I'm happy with just one bocal...)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Hi Rosee, hope you've lurked long enough to be able to recognise Amar when you see him! I'm sure he'll introduce himself soon enough :twisted:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

ehhemm, nice to see you, hello there rosee, never mind the english ape up there..
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Hello, New!
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Welcome! I can only confess to a year of oboe in high school. But I paused long enough looking at a bombard offered on eBay to wonder how much reeds were going to run me...

I spent my marching band years toting a piccolo, so the whistle range sounds just fine to me. ;)

Take care,
M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Welcome aboard Rosee, nice to have you join us.

Regarding you expanding whistle inventory: You do not have WhOA.

Because Denial is a successful defense mechanism. :D
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Rosee

Post by Rosee »

Exactly. :D

And I blame it all on well meaning family because they bought everything for me except what I currently have in the mail. Not my fault at all, right?