For those who helped with input on Clannad...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

For those who helped with input on Clannad...

Post by Redwolf »

...many thanks! I just got Clannad 2 from Amazon.com, and I love it! It's a major shame that they had to go all New Agey in their later years. I have Dulamon on order too...hope it's as good!

And yes: Gaoth Barra na dTonn is exquisite!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You're welcome! You might also like Bothy Band's Old Hag You Have Killed Me. There is some resemblance, IMHO.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

blackhawk wrote:You're welcome! You might also like Bothy Band's Old Hag You Have Killed Me. There is some resemblance, IMHO.
Nice choice! I like both early and late Clannad, so here are some others you may like.

Early Clannad: Pentangle, Steeleye Span, Dervish
Mid/Late Clannad: Blackmore's Night (can you believe that's the guy from Deep Purple?), Adiemus
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I have a cassette tape of clannad and boys of the lough that my English teacher gave me in high school, when I responded strongly to a sample of irish music that he brought in. Unfortunately I have no idea which clannad/boys recordings they were, nor the names of the tunes, or even which group is doing which song.

It's a cassette made from a record, and the tape is at least 7 years old now...I'd love to replace it with CD but have no idea how! lol

Actually I now have a minidisc of the tape of the record, which is rather amusing to me. But that's me.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

BrassBlower wrote:
blackhawk wrote:You're welcome! You might also like Bothy Band's Old Hag You Have Killed Me. There is some resemblance, IMHO.
Nice choice! I like both early and late Clannad, so here are some others you may like.

Mid/Late Clannad: Blackmore's Night (can you believe that's the guy from Deep Purple?), Adiemus
I've not heard of Blackmore's Night or Pentangle, Brassblower. Are they still in print?

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

blackhawk wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:

I've not heard of Blackmore's Night or Pentangle, Brassblower. Are they still in print?
Yes, they are!

Pentangle: http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 6351797827

Listen to "Let No Man Steal Your Thyme".

Blackmore's Night: http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 3723744926

Listen to "Shadow of the Moon".
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Thanks Brassblower, I'll check those out. :)

--Plato
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Pentangle were simply the best band (Folk/blues/jazz idiom) to come out of England. Years ahead of their time, if the original lineup came back today they would blow everyone else out of the water just by tuning up!
With such an eclectic line up they were probably the first English supergroup. No one since has come near.

Check them out,
Joy awaits.

Slan,
D.
:)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Varghjärta

Post by Varghjärta »

I was just at a Blackmores Night concert, like last month, during their premier night of touring again :).

I _LOVE_ them so much. Extremly powerful music, but the studio music does NOT do the justice by a long shot. They have to be heard live. The music have SO MUCH more life and spirit during live performances. It's a real shame, but I honestly think that most BN album-songs seems a bit lifeless/dead, it's too perfected and clean and with no real umph in the singing.

PS. Does their song "Loreley" draw anyone elses mind to a Pirat-ship or port where they stomp and sing??