NOT from "The Onion". From Reuters.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

NOT from "The Onion". From Reuters.

Post by Dale »

Meat hook dangling craze mystifies police

Sunday, July 18, 2004 Posted: 6:54 PM EDT (2254 GMT)

MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- Law enforcement officials in the Florida Keys are mystified by a bizarre new pastime -- young people dangling themselves from meat hooks on a popular sandbar.

A U.S. Coast Guard spokeswoman said on Sunday that the Monroe County sheriff's office and Coast Guard were called on July 12 to the sandbar off Whale Harbor in Islamorada where locals say wild behavior is becoming a tradition.

They found that five young people had erected a bamboo tripod and hung meat hooks from it. A young woman, her feet brushing the surface of the shallow water, dangled from the frame, hooks embedded firmly in her shoulders.

According to a Coast Guard video, she did not seem to mind the hooks.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

From Reuters via ABC Australia http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 156698.htm

"Lt Tom Brazil of the Coast Guard said a young man, who also had hooks embedded in his heavily pierced and tattooed skin, told him the group was "just enjoying the afternoon".

There were no laws against sticking meat hooks into yourself and hanging from a tripod on a sandbar, Lt Brazil added.

The Coast Guard passed the video on to federal justice authorities to decide if action ought to be taken."

Fuddy-duddies. The kids were just, like, you know, hanging around, like kids do.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
glauber

Post by glauber »

Last i heard, they had to shoot them down. :o Just kidding.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

glauber wrote:Last i heard, they had to shoot them down. :o Just kidding.
Isn't it amazing what kids can get hooked on these days? :(
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

that's really sad.
crazy fools.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

They didn't happen to mention if these people they found also played uilleann pipes, bodhrán or *gulp* banjo did they? I think that might explain a lot! :lol:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Either a hoax or stepchildren of Jim Rose and his Freak show, which has glorified various types of circus-like self-mutilations. He started touring the late 80s I believe and has made an impact via Ripleys, etc. With the confluence of body-piercing, Jackass etc, I guess this was inevitable. Guess they will be eating lightbulbs next. Hopefully, the craze will bypass hanging objects from male hanging organs, also a feature of the Rose sideshow. Now, that is something I avoided seeing (when Rose toured here I said "No thanks"), and I hope never to actually witness, though I was given a gleeful description of it by others.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Its called body suspension, their is starting to be a large following to.

You can see and learn about it here. :o
http://www.suspension.org/ Warning of graphic pictures

I WOULD NEVER DO THIS! OUCHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

"Just hanging wit friends" Takes on a whole new meaning...

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:-?

Weekenders refer to "male hanging organs",
Would that be necks or what?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

reminds me of the movie "A Man Called Horse."

....and aftter doing a google search discovered that that's where some of this is coming from (the 'ritual' in the movie is called OkePa).

Not something I'd be particularly interested in.

-brett
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

In India, a group of people who call themselves rationalists travel around performing tricks like this. They hook themselves up to quite heavy loads and pull them along. Actually, they are rationalists. When village folk gawk in amazement they explain the physics behind the tricks they do. It's part of an effort to break the faith of the people in gurus who pull similar stunts and claim supernatural powers. Humans can withstand piercing in quite a lot of places if it's done knowledgably and the skin is surprisingly strong.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

A Man Called Horse is a classic. Richard Harris stars in it. Hard to find these days.

There was a discussion of this suspension thing in a movie a couple of years ago with Jennifer Lopez as a psychologist who used virtual reality to get inside peoples' minds. A psychotic serial killer suspended himself. I thought that was a cool movie for the virtual reality stuff.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I just looked at the faq for that site. Absolutely fascinating and actually, very down to earth. No thanks, not for me. It mentioned the JLo movie title, The Cell.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

I figure that people probably got hooked on this (ba-dum-bum) from watching Mad Mad House on SciFi, with Art the 'Modern Primitive'. Any time main stream gets a hold of things they become a fad... then they sort of fade away. You can see Art here

I can't quite imagine doing this myself, but to each his or her own! :)

Best,
Ad