OT: A POLL How many pagans do we have on this Board?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Varghjärta
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Varghjärta »

peeplj wrote: Sometimes it is uplifting. Sometimes very uncomfortable. Sometimes, particularly if someone is trying to make a "convert" out of you, it can border on the offensive.
Well I suppose it would be a lot smoother if the friend one goes with is of the open-minded-kind. Otherwise _I_ probably wouldn't want to go at all -- and if it wasn't with someone I trust.
peeplj wrote: I don't like to put labels on myself anymore--even "pagan" doesn't always seem to fit.
Me neither, though for the sole purpose of trying to find likeminded I think it is acceptable.

I mean, I can say that I worship bagpipes. And right away people around me will get a clue as to what I share with them, and that could open up doors to new relationships centered around that common interest.
Just a way to lump togeather things into groups that will atleast somewhat reflect the content.

Didn't mean to correct anyone btw, just clarifying a bit why I think it can be acceptable. Aslong as people acknowledge that people are more that those labels.
Jim Wright wrote:I am a Christian of the Born Again type

I assume Born Again by definition means that you had an other religion before it? What was it?
Jim Wright wrote:However, I would happily share my beliefs with any of you privately because I am completely sold out on what I believe.
Sounds interesting. I'm always interested in what moves about in other folks heart. Do you prefer PM or email?. Email is probably better for me, since internet-access suck where I live it's uncomfortable to be online and write correspondences. Lemme know.

~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, about the defintion of Paganism/Pagan. What I was taught and lernt is that a "pagan" religion or "path" is one that is at it's core "Nature-Based".

Or well, my native lang isn't english and there ain't any other good translations for it then "pagan" but it should all be the same :P -- so don't chop me into little pieces if that isn't 100% correct. It's considered to my knowledge correct here atleast :).

Peace.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

"My mother says I don't need their rebirth.
'Cause she got it right the first time." :D

--from "Six Days" by Gwen Knighton, as performed by Three Weird Sisters

--James
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

I was raised Methodist and drove the pastor mad. I was the kid that always said, "but what about this or what about that?" He was a patient man but only had so many answers for me so I started asking and reading everywhere. I got to know all kinds of people and their religions - catholic, baptist, jehovah's witness, jewish, buddhist, hindu, TM...

So I began to see that once you get past the thick and divisive rhetoric, most religions when not fanatically practiced are heading in the same general direction - helping people deepen their understanding of love and how to live it as best they can.

So with half a lifetime of Christianity, about 10 years of Buddhism, years of TM and meditation, six years of training as a healer and a decade and a half of professional practice, and the last 3 years of working with nature via co-creative science I just don't have a good label. But I suspect there are some that would call me pagan (and a few other choice words :wink: ).

To me, there's room for everyone and their spiritual journeying as long as they believe there is room for everyone and their spiritual journeying, too.

Peace,
Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

rh wrote:
Walden wrote:
Merriam-Webster's unabridged (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.) says, "One who worships false gods; an idolater; a heathen; one who is neither a Christian, a Mohammedan, nor a Jew."
This is a scream! False Gods? Idolater? Mohammedan? Was this written by Torquemada or something?
In origin, and traditional usage it is a Christian term. From the old Christian standpoint it was a sensible enough concept, however, to those outside, it probably seems as unsatisfactory as defining the word barbarian as meaning any non-Greek or non-Greek-speaker.

The term pagan, etymologically comes from Latin for a villager or a rustic... a country person. In its religious sense, it was adopted by the Church because rural areas were less Christianized.
Reasonable person
Walden
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

A born again Christian refers to the idea that by baptism, your sins are washed away and you "die" and are re-born sin free.

I am 2 weeks old today. I was born again (baptised) on the 4th of July.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

fancypiper wrote:A born again Christian refers to the idea that by baptism, your sins are washed away and you "die" and are re-born sin free.

Congratulations, and welcome to the family :)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

another pagan here....... there seem to be many on this list...had no idea.
I finally found this after having been an official catholic but never liked that.....went for buddhism but seemed there were things missing that I was looking for.....then stumbled across the old religion........and I came home.
what I like best about this, is that there are no dogma's (spelling?) and under the pagan umbrella, there are many others like the witches and druids and...

berti
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

I can't believe this thread is still around...!!!
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

fancypiper wrote:A born again Christian refers to the idea that by baptism, your sins are washed away and you "die" and are re-born sin free.

Congrats, Piper!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Merry met...blessed be.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I'm disappointed. This is not a poll! :o
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Walden wrote:
rh wrote:This is a scream! False Gods? Idolater? Mohammedan? Was this written by Torquemada or something?
In origin, and traditional usage it is a Christian term. From the old Christian standpoint it was a sensible enough concept, however, to those outside, it probably seems as unsatisfactory as defining the word barbarian as meaning any non-Greek or non-Greek-speaker.
And apparently Merriam-Webster is designed for use by old Christians... certainly the language reflects a strong religious-cultural bias. 1998 seems a bit recent to be retaining the term "Mohammedan", which in common usage has been largely discarded as it is offensive to Muslims.

anyway, it struck me as anachronistic, bordering on ridiculously so.
there is no end to the walking
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Bob Dylan is God.

:x Beware false prophets. :x

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Welcome to Paganism!
(oops, sorry! That's right...there's nothing pagan about Christianity! Miracles, Baptism, the Eucharist, Heaven, Hell, Prophecy, Eternal Life, and a hundred other Christian beliefs were not derived from Paganism!)

It's never been controversial! :wink: Melanchthon never wrote a book called Aplologia Confessionis Augustanae in 1530 AD, detailing Catholic rituals copied from Paganism.

H. Bullinger never wrote De Originie Erroris Libris Duo in 1539, detailing Catholic "cultic errors" copied from the Heathens.

Isaac Casaubon never wrote De rebus Sacris et Ecclesiasticus Exercitationes in 1614, about how the apostle Paul's use of terminology and ideas came from the pagan mystery religions.

...and thousands of modern scholarly works, such as Drudgery Divine, or The Survival of the Pagan Gods, have never linked the two!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

The Inquisition (what a show)
The Inquistion (here we go)
We know you're wishin' that we'd go away.
But the Inquisition's here and it's here to staaaay!

speakin of torquemada..