begginer piper needs lots of help

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
doan

begginer piper needs lots of help

Post by doan »

ok, so I just got my practice set of uilleann pipes the other day and I'm not completely sure how to play them. I'm getting it slowly, but I'm having one HUGE problem: I have no idea how to make the upper octave come out (sad, yes?). I was also wondering if uilleann pipes are played with your right hand above the left on the chanter. I've seen some pictures of people holding them like this, but it just seems so backwards compared to every other instrument in the world (with your left hand above your right). Oh, and one more thing: should picth be a huge pain to keep constant? It seems that way when I play. Does squeezing the bag raise or lower the pitch...I can't really seem to get a consistent result.

Any other general tips on playing would be a big help (assume that I know next to nothing). Thanks!
Baen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Baen »

I'm a pre-beginner myself, since I'm on the waiting list to have a set of pipes made. I have done some research, including reading this board, and you can do two things that would probably be helpful.

First, find a tutor if you can. Not sure where you are, but there might be someone nearby who gives lessons. Even if you only make a trip once or twice a month it would be worth it.

Secondly, get an instruction book with a CD. I've heard the best one is by Heather Clarke (not sure of the title, but it's well known). You might also want to consider getting the first NPU instruction video--again, not sure of the title, but they are also known. Both of these items can be purchased over the internet by a site that carries Uilleann Pipes and supplies. Check out the various places listed at the front page of this website (listed for tin whistles, but many carry supplies for pipes as well). Pipers on this site can give you suggestions for their favorite places.

Best wishes on your learning.
anima

Post by anima »

Where are you Doan?
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

to get the upper octave, squeeze the bag harder...increased airflow will make the reed "overblow" much like what happens with a whistle. the high D, however is the back hole.

as with the whistle, second octave fingering is the same as first (except the D)

left above right
left thumb: back hole
left index, middle and ring fingers: top three holes
right index, middle, ring and pinkie: bottom four holes

for the left thumb, left ring and right pinkie use the pad of the finger over the hole, for all other holes use the pad of the middle joint of the finger.
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
djm

Post by djm »

If you are having trouble with hand placement, and trouble getting a steady tone, you are not ready yet to worry about the secong octave yet. Read the FAQs for this forum. Get the books and videos mentioned above. But above all, get at least one lesson with a UP teacher to get you started correctly.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Doan

1st things 1st..Left hand above right .(majority of pipers)also makes gettin a full set later easier(especially 2nd hand sets) + if you are starting from scratch it will present no more of a problem than the rest of the techniques ye will be a learning.

2nd Squeeze the bag hard enough to get the 2nd octave on note F.Try and keep this steady for a while,stop the note KEEPING THE SAME PRESSURE ON THE BAG and see if you get the 1st octave note f.
Most pipers I have come across are under the impression that ye have to squeeze the bag harder every time ye want the 2nd octave. This can have a wavering effect on the drones whereas if ye keep the pressure constantly on the bag as for 2nd octave ye will ensure waver free playing and pop from note to note with nae problem.

Heather Clarkes New Approach to Uilleann Piping +CD
The Art of Uilleann Piping Vol.1
Both available frae Na Piobaire Uilleann
15 Henrietta Street.
Dublin I
Rep.of Ireland
Tel.01-8730093
e-mail info@pipers.ie
Website www.pipers.ie

Cead failté
Slan Go Foill
Uilliam
maw

Post by maw »

Also try this Mad for Trad site:
http://www.irishmusic.com/
A good CD-Rom available here by Sean Potts :)
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Antaine wrote:to get the upper octave, squeeze the bag harder...increased airflow will make the reed "overblow" much like what happens with a whistle. the high D, however is the back hole.
This is not sound advice. And particularly bad piping.

To get to the octave, close your chanter to stop all airflow, build up the little extra pressure needed to speed up the reed, open the note you are looking for and you should get to the 2nd octave. This works for octave e,f and g, a and b will need a 'stepping stone' to get there, i.e. you will have to vent/open f or g very briefly to get to the higher note.

(edited to fix typos)
Last edited by Cayden on Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Peters advice is sound as a pound and is what was trying to say.The pressure is achieved by momentarily stopping the air allowing the build up and if ye have the air in the bag already cranked up to full pressure then it should be a negligable moment.
Slan go foill
Liam
Paul

Post by Paul »

Doan, just one lesson would make a HUGE difference. Please do try and get one. You'll be really glad you did. Welcome to the board!
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

[quote="Antaine"] the high D, however is the back hole.[quote]

Since when has this been the case?................................
The high back D is 2nd Octave C# and F opened together!!
If ye just open the thumb in the 2nd Octave ye get a kinda E flat.
If ye don't believe me try it or refer to Leo Rowsomes Fingering Chart.
Seems like there are some odd ideas about pipering out there.
Slan Go Foill
Uilliam :boggle:
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

I think Antaine was referring to d in the first octave (back d) but confused his terminology.
Lessons to get started are really essential especially to get the basics from the start.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Antaine wrote:to get the upper octave, squeeze the bag harder...increased airflow will make the reed "overblow" much like what happens with a whistle. the high D, however is the back hole.

Just to be in no doubt the above is reprinted.I don't think it is a confusion of terminology but a confusion of technique.How many others are there out there?
Uilliam :wink:
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

I was referring to the back D, the D above the C above middle C...I've never played anything that called for a third octave D, and so was referring to the back D when I said "high D"

as for upper octave bag squeezing, I use a closed fingering, and did even when I was learning, and so I have a de facto airflow stop before any jump into the upper octave.
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
doan

Post by doan »

anima wrote:Where are you Doan?
I live in northern NY on the canadian border in the 1000 islands region (like the dressing). Piping is not big here...well at least I don't think it is.

I have another question (maybe you guys already answered this): I read somewhere that the uilleann pipes use a "closed" fingering system where as many holes as possible are closed on each note (even the holes below the first opened hole). Is this true? It seems like it makes the pitch worse.

One other thing: when I play 2nd octave D with the back whole it sounds like a C# or even a C at times. But when I finger low D and increase the air flow I get a nice in tune D (for the most part). Oh and by the way, the upper octave is coming out better. Yeah for me!

I would still love any other advice that you guys have. Thanks.