How Hard is it to Move to Ireland??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Immigration to Ireland

Post by burnsbyrne »

Tres wrote:
brianholton wrote:I checked this out a couple of years ago, as I'm entitled to Irish citizenship, through having 2 Irish grandparents. This still holds (I think it's written into the Irish Constitution).
My great grandparents on my mother's side were Irish. So maybe my mother could become a citizen and then I could piggy back on her because then I would have an Irish mother! (But, then again, where would I go in Ireland for good bluegrass music? I knew there was a glitch to my plan! )

:wink:

Tres
Sorry, Tres, that doesn't work. Your mother would have to have had Irish citizenship before you were born - or not. They have changed this regulation 2 or 3 times since the 50's. I know that I was told that only my children born after I received Irish citizenship would automatically be citizens.
Mike
Tres

Re: Immigration to Ireland

Post by Tres »

burnsbyrne wrote:
Tres wrote:
brianholton wrote:I checked this out a couple of years ago, as I'm entitled to Irish citizenship, through having 2 Irish grandparents. This still holds (I think it's written into the Irish Constitution).
My great grandparents on my mother's side were Irish. So maybe my mother could become a citizen and then I could piggy back on her because then I would have an Irish mother! (But, then again, where would I go in Ireland for good bluegrass music? I knew there was a glitch to my plan! )

:wink:

Tres
Sorry, Tres, that doesn't work. Your mother would have to have had Irish citizenship before you were born - or not. They have changed this regulation 2 or 3 times since the 50's. I know that I was told that only my children born after I received Irish citizenship would automatically be citizens.
Mike
I knew my plan was too good to be true. Ah well, I shall just have to suffer on in beautiful, warm, sunny Georgia! :lol:

Tres
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

I can't seem to remember the details, but isn't there also something the Infernal Ripoff Service does to discourage people from emigrating from the US?
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Go to Italy! They have the best food, great musicians, beautiful landscapes and the nicest men, too.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Sam
I don't suppose they'll be looking for anyone with a degree in geology in a few years? :-\
Speaking only as one peson who knows another person who moved to a European country other than Ireland (things may be different, but probably not)...

Priority jobs goes to people from Ireland first, then people from E.U. countries, then "everybody else", so you'd better be better qualified than any other person in Europe, or just get lucky, basically.

P.S., When you buy me that house in Barcelona (I haven't forgotten), you can just live with me.

Post by Guest »

Cranberry wrote:Quote @ Sam
I don't suppose they'll be looking for anyone with a degree in geology in a few years? :-\
Speaking only as one peson who knows another person who moved to a European country other than Ireland (things may be different, but probably not)...

Priority jobs goes to people from Ireland first, then people from E.U. countries, then "everybody else", so you'd better be better qualified than any other person in Europe, or just get lucky, basically.

P.S., When you buy me that house in Barcelona (I haven't forgotten), you can just live with me.
Oh no they don't! Ireland is more like the US or the UK than anyother country in the world! They hire by ability and quality, thats about it. If you don't have the papers and a Company wants you, then Customs/Immirgration will more or less do as asked by the employer.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

According to the info on the work permit at the site I linked to, the employer has to certify that they have been unable to find qualified Irish workers (and, presumably, now, EU workers) before they can get you a work permit...and they have to renew your work permit each year, at a significant cost to the employer. That's going to make non-EU employees less than attractive, unless they are absolute leaders in their field (or the field's new enough that there aren't many people qualified in it). The computer company my husband works for has two plants in Ireland, and they never hire foreign employees...there are more than enough qualified computer and technical professionals in Ireland to meet their needs.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Redwolf wrote:According to the info on the work permit at the site I linked to, the employer has to certify that they have been unable to find qualified Irish workers (and, presumably, now, EU workers) before they can get you a work permit...and they have to renew your work permit each year, at a significant cost to the employer. That's going to make non-EU employees less than attractive, unless they are absolute leaders in their field (or the field's new enough that there aren't many people qualified in it). The computer company my husband works for has two plants in Ireland, and they never hire foreign employees...there are more than enough qualified computer and technical professionals in Ireland to meet their needs.

Redwolf
This last is no surprise - my former company had an engineering site in Ireland. The one time I was over there, several of them mentioned how a number of high-tech employers had left Ireland seeking lower expenses in China and the former Soviet Union. Bearing them out, about half the buildings near their office (Cork Airport Business park, for those of you who know the area) were newly empty.

Several of my coworkers had returned to Ireland from the US at the height of the boom, and were faced with needing to move to another city (or country) if anything happened to their current job. What surprised me was, that in a number of cases, they would have *prefered* an overseas job to relocating within Ireland. ??? (Though one of them pointed out that he could fly back to Cork from a number of airports in England in less time, and for less cash, than it would take him to *drive* from, say, Donegal)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

DCrom wrote:
Redwolf wrote:According to the info on the work permit at the site I linked to, the employer has to certify that they have been unable to find qualified Irish workers (and, presumably, now, EU workers) before they can get you a work permit...and they have to renew your work permit each year, at a significant cost to the employer. That's going to make non-EU employees less than attractive, unless they are absolute leaders in their field (or the field's new enough that there aren't many people qualified in it). The computer company my husband works for has two plants in Ireland, and they never hire foreign employees...there are more than enough qualified computer and technical professionals in Ireland to meet their needs.

Redwolf
This last is no surprise - my former company had an engineering site in Ireland. The one time I was over there, several of them mentioned how a number of high-tech employers had left Ireland seeking lower expenses in China and the former Soviet Union. Bearing them out, about half the buildings near their office (Cork Airport Business park, for those of you who know the area) were newly empty.

Several of my coworkers had returned to Ireland from the US at the height of the boom, and were faced with needing to move to another city (or country) if anything happened to their current job. What surprised me was, that in a number of cases, they would have *prefered* an overseas job to relocating within Ireland. ??? (Though one of them pointed out that he could fly back to Cork from a number of airports in England in less time, and for less cash, than it would take him to *drive* from, say, Donegal)
Too bad the U.S. doesn't have this policy, eh? All the computer people I know, hubby included, worry about losing their jobs to foreigners. It's not just off-shoring...it's special visas and such that make hiring foreigners at lower wages both possible and profitable for employers.

I say more power to Ireland if they're willing to give Irish people first crack at the jobs there...that's how it SHOULD be!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
talasiga

a FOREIGNER in Dublin

Post by talasiga »

Redwolf wrote:.........
I say more power to Ireland if they're willing to give Irish people first crack at the jobs there...that's how it SHOULD be!

Redwolf

This should apply to Irish flute makers too.
When I went to Dublin to buy a flute
it was easier to find a Pakistani made Irish flute
than an Irish made one.

I finally obtained a Seery blackwood
and that is how it SHOULD be!
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
j dasinger

Post by j dasinger »

Peter Laban wrote: You can move to Ireland and you'll need a workpermit, that's about the deal.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was wondering what the conclusion was? Is it possible to move to Ireland or not? If citizenship was not an issue and one just wanted to stay and work for a few years, is it possible? Is there a way to get a work permit before you look for a job, or do you have to get a company to sponsor you first and then obtain a permit after that? If you go to school in Ireland, does that time count for a residency requirement? If you were just dead set that you wanted to live in Ireland, how would you do it?

james
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Avoid all speculation, hear-say and half-truths and get the official info here:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/ ... ec32fc6c14