Chiff & Fipple Diet Club

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

This is a "poke my head in and say hi" message.

For whatever it's worth, I am still losing weight, in spite of the high stress (and large meals!--these days, when I get a chance, I eat). Moving, health issues, and starting a new job have all contributed to a stress-rich environment.

The weight loss is not deliberate or measured--I know it's happening from the comments of others, and from the way my clothes fit. I do not weigh on scales routinely. It's longevity is yet to be determined;--in fact, if things happen again as they have happened several times before, as the stress diminishes and I return to eating more normally (read that "less and less often"), the weight will return and level out about where it was before.

Nonetheless, it has brought the approval of those who has noticed it. The approval feels good, even if the assumptions of the viewer are somewhat misplaced.

I understand how someone could get addicted to this feeling.

I'm glad to see this new thread appear, and I wish to encourage everyone to do whatever it takes to be healthier, happier, and to always try to enjoy and appreciate life more each day.

Best wishes to all,

--James
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Hi, James...great to see you here! I am thrilled to hear about the new job. I know you were stressed out about finding work. I hope you, Shannon and the ferrets are well (and not collapsing under the stress)!
~JessieD
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Here's a bit of good news for folks who must rely on Medicare (including my parents):

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fit ... index.html

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Monster

Post by Monster »

Paul wrote:
Monster wrote:I sometimes have to remind myself of the delayed effect of feeling "full" or that feeling "full" is not really a desirable state to be in! :)
I have a friend who, like me, constantly has to watch his weight. The thing is that he runs marathons and teaches martial arts, etc. He says he only does it all so he can eat and drink whatever he wants. One of the things he lives by is that he says he never worries about how full he feels at the table after a meal but about how full he is 30 minutes later.

I have been trying to apply this philosophy but I still tend to pig out at times. Old habits are hard to break.
Somewhat like your friend I sometimes will do a lot of exercise, but then will sabotage the good work by eating more than necessary. This happened yesterday.

Oh well, today's another day, I think I will do better today!
insert uber smart comment here
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I weighed myself and I am at 162.8, still considerably more than I ever weighed before the pregnancy, but going in the right direction.
~JessieD
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

nevermind
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

way to go, Jessie and Jerry! Keep up the good work.

Unfortunately, my BMI is off the top of the chart, but it just gives me more room to maneuver.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

nevermind
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I realize I'm only slightly overweight. The problem is, I've been gaining steadily for the last couple of years. I want to figure out how to work with my metabolism at this stage in my life, before the weight gain gets out of hand.

Best wishes,
Jerry
I hear you, Jerry. I am 6ft and 186. Ten years ago I was the same weight but I gradually crawled up to 210 in the intervening years. After a couple of years of "more exercize, less food" I got down to 182. I would like to get to 180-175 and stay there. I learned that even the "slightly overweight", especially over the age of 45, need to plan their calorie intake and level of exercize to maintain an ideal weight.
Mike
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Still holding at 210. I have a question for someone knowledgeable about BMI. All my adult life I have been 5' 11". Over the last 2 years due to disc compression in my back I have lost height to 5' 9.5". Which height should I use to figure BMI?

Ron
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Chiff and Fipple Diet club

Post by greenspiderweb »

Becoming more active I find is one of the hardest things for me. My wife sent this activity tips guide to me, and I am passing it along in hope that it may be of benefit to someone here:

http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/cont ... /97938.htm
~~~~
Barry
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

nevermind
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

nevermind
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Well I've lost acouple of pounds but I still haven't broken out of that six pounds range I keep moving up and down within.

BTW please don't think I've given up if you don't hear from me for a while but I'll be in Cornwall for the next three to four weeks and won't be able to keep in touch. Ah, the land of Cornish pasties and cream teas. I'll be lucky if I don't double in size before I get back.

Age - 49
Height 5'3"
Starting weight 160 lbs
Current weight 158 lbs
Desired weight 130 lbs (or less)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
sbruyette

Post by sbruyette »

Good Morning to everyone. I am encouraged by all of you. Changing what we are so used to doing isn't easy. This is sort of a challenge for myself. Finding different foods that I actually like and that are better for me. I did better this weekend and stayed on my program and have a 2 pound loss.
My stats
age 51
height 5'2"
165 on April 15
149 today (1 more lb and I will be at my first WW goal)
I'm not sure of a desired weight but hopefully I can get to somewhere in the 130's and stay there and be comfortable wearing something without an elastic waist band. Hope everyone has a healthy week.
Last edited by sbruyette on Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susan