favorite Irish band?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

what's your favorite Irish band?

Bothy Band
21%
Chieftains
25%
Planxty
8%
Lunasa
24%
Dervish
7%
Altan
15%

Total votes: 75

fiddlecrazy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fiddlecrazy »

Well yeah, Planxty, Sweeney's Men, and the Chieftains all came first, but it was the Bothy Band that really got everything moving, and kept it going in that direction. I'm not trying to say that Planxty didn't do anything, but the Bothy Band was the one that really set things in stone.

I go back and forth between Lunasa and the Bothy Band, for a favorite band. Part of the reason that I like Lunasa more, is that they are actively touring today. The Bothy Band disbanded long before I was even born, so all I have is the CDs. Those are great, but you can only capture so much on a recording. Why don't they have a reunion!?!

Max
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Stu H wrote:The Pogues are among my all-time fav bands. Do they have much of a following in the States?
I like them a lot on the songs where Spider is playing the whistle in the background.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Anyone who can keep their mouths shut and resist the urge to start singing. It just irritates the living poop out of me to get a CD from a group or individual previously unknown to me and find that half their stuff is singing. Or worse yet, to get a CD from a perfectly good instrumentalist with a proven record or providing good tunes and find that they have begun to fancy themselves a singer as well. And it's hard to tell what's what because those who feel inclined to sing also seem to have a tendency to put cute little names on their sets, so you can't really tell whether the component parts are real dance tunes or some sad attempt at a song they made up in a beer induced haze whilst trying to hit on the bar maid. Furthermore, you can't rely on the cover blurbs, because these are written by marketing hacks who don't know a tune from a song from a rectal probe. (The blurb on my first and only Gaelic Storm raved about the "dance music" and failed to mention that half the damn CD was singing.)

I voted for the Chieftains because they made it through about nine albums (pretty near a dozen if you count the Best ofs) without giving in to the singing urge, and when they did finally cave, they subcontracted the singing to others.

The others in the list I have not listened to, either because it was obvious from the cover there was a bunch of singing going on, or because I just couldn't tell and was not inclined to pop the better part of an Andy Jackson to hear a bunch of damn songs.

These things need lables -- Caution: Contains singing.

OK -- I'm done now.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
fiddlecrazy

Post by fiddlecrazy »

I like vocal bands, but there are far to many of them. Very rarely do you see an instrumental band. Another reason I like Lunasa.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I'm really getting turned on to Lunasa of late, but for a vote I'll stick with my long-time fave, the Chieftains.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I picked Bothy Band because IMHO their CD Old Hag You Have Killed Me is very nearly the perfect Irish CD...for my taste.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
SirNick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I voted for Lunasa because of their rock solid smooth arrangements. I never get tired of Merry Sisters of Fate and Otherworld. I consider them in a different catagory than Bothy or Chieftains. I guess I would call them new age Irish Trad. Sorry, I cringe when I hear the term "new age". I don't know how else to describe them. Here's a question, why do the members of Lunasa always look stern and grumpy on their album sleeves. If I could play like that, I'd be smiling like a fool (I'd probably look like my avatar)!
"You have my undivided attention"
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

SirNick wrote:If I could play like that, I'd be smiling like a fool (I'd probably look like my avatar)!
I thought that was you! Speaking for myself, I think I'd already be famous if I weren't an angry cartoon monkey. The racism in this country is awful!
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Jeff Guevin wrote:
SirNick wrote:If I could play like that, I'd be smiling like a fool (I'd probably look like my avatar)!
I thought that was you! Speaking for myself, I think I'd already be famous if I weren't an angry cartoon monkey. The racism in this country is awful!
Of course that's not me! I have brown eyes and his are obviously hazel. Other than that though.........
"You have my undivided attention"
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

fiddlecrazy wrote:I like vocal bands, but there are far to many of them. Very rarely do you see an instrumental band. Another reason I like Lunasa.
I guess you could say that Lunasa are to Trad what the Ventures are to rock and roll.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

BrassBlower wrote:
fiddlecrazy wrote:I like vocal bands, but there are far to many of them. Very rarely do you see an instrumental band. Another reason I like Lunasa.
I guess you could say that Lunasa are to Trad what the Ventures are to rock and roll.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm old enough to understand that one!

--Plato
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

gonzo914 wrote:
I voted for the Chieftains because they made it through about nine albums (pretty near a dozen if you count the Best ofs) without giving in to the singing urge, and when they did finally cave, they subcontracted the singing to others.

These things need lables -- Caution: Contains singing.

OK -- I'm done now.
Nine albums? I don't think i even made it past their sixth But: They actually had Dolores Keane singing on Bonaparte's Retreat which was if I remember well nr 6, they also had a lilter on nr 3. We'll ignore the interlude in polka and slide sets as singinging but when they did 'cave', they hired Kevin Conneff as a bandmember, not really outsourcing the singing.
missy

Post by missy »

like them all - but if you go by number of CD's owned, it has to be the Chieftains.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

blackhawk wrote:I picked Bothy Band because IMHO their CD Old Hag You Have Killed Me is very nearly the perfect Irish CD...for my taste.
A-M-E-N!!!!!!!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I love Altan for the vocals. I'm also still very fond of the Irish Rovers, both their 1970s stuff and their current stuff. Oooo...and let's not forget Solas and Danu!

Did I mention that I LIKE singing? I really prefer an album to have a good mixture of vocal music and instrumental...assuming, that is, that they have a good vocalist.

Redwolf
Last edited by Redwolf on Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!