What Non-ITM TM do you listen to?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lonewhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lonewhistler »

I was so taken by what I heard in the pubs (particularly in Dingle), it was like an instant addiction.
...Dingle is also the place where I got my first "real" taste of Irish Trad as well!!

As far as my favorite styles of music other than Irish Trad, well I have many to say the least! Everything from jazz to heavy metal...
One of the most important traits I look for in any style of music is music that has spirit and soul (not soul as in the genre), music that has significant connections to it, rather than what just sounds good or will make a certain artist lots of money. That is one of the reasons why I love Irish Trad so much is because of it's cultural roots. The music goes waaaay back, and has been passed down from generation to generation.
Just recently I have been obsessed with American roots music for much the same reasons. As an American, there are some things about U.S. history that I am not too proud of (slavery, taking land from Native Americans are just a couple examples) and because of this, sometimes it's hard for me to align myself proudly with that history. But, when it comes to the roots music, our musical heritage, I can completely relate and feel a part in what's being sung. I love all of the styles of American roots music, blues, country, gospel, etc.
If any of you out there share the same interest for American roots music, I strongly suggest that you check out any of Alan Lomex's field recordings that were done between the early 30's and late 40's for the Library of Congress. The collections of music on those albums are haunting, historical, and simply the "real deal". The musicians featured on his field recordings are mostly people like you and me, recorded in their natural state, not in a studio. The recordings are by no means pristine, rather they are rough, raw and on-the-spot.
Well, enough history lessons right now...once I get on any subject of music, it's hard for me to shut up! :D
"...patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings" - "Sweetheart Like You" by Bob Dylan
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Loren wrote:Whoops, forgot to mention that I've been living on the Gary Moore "Blues Alive" CD for some time now, not that anyone cares. :P (Anyone have a nice Les Paul they wanna get rid of cheap :lol: )

So, any other Gary Moore fans out there?

Lots of Albert King too, but that's nothing new (for me.)

Loren
I love Gary Moore. And lots of blues music, with Albert King being my favorite. I love his quote: "If you don't dig the blues, you got a hole in your soul."

And after Wombat turned me on to Japanese Shakuhachi, I like that quite a bit, too.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

this could easily turn into a very,very long posting but I'll try to restrain myself a bit !
Above all and everything is the Blessed Trinity of Bob Dylan,Tom Waits and Joni Mitchell- all of whom are deified in this house.

Other favourites would include (in no particular order of preference),

Doc Watson,Chet Atkins, Emmy Lou Harris,Mississippi John Hurt, Albert Collins, Gary Moore,Van Morrisson, Bonnie Raitt, Stephan Grappelli, Woody/Arlo Guthrie,Rory Gallagher,Neill Young, Leonard Cohen,Charlie Parker, Miles Davies,Byron Berline,Vasser Clements......,

Right ,
That's enough of that.

Slan,
D.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Non ITM TM?

Latest stuff I have is by the "Cock and Bull Band", a worthy bunch of fellows who play a mixture of French, Breton, and English traditional music.

Oh and I recently bought a CD off eBay by Sarah Graves, concertina player. Got some very nice non-ITM TM on there and listening to her playing the English box makes me feel guilty that mine spends most of its life under the coffee-table.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I recently got a CD of Dvorak's complete symphonies, the ~30-year-old recordings by the LSO with Istvan Kertesz. I haven't listened to anything else at work since; I'm absolutely hooked on them, especially the seventh.

Beyond that I haven't been listening to much at all; I've been pretty much playing. But some of the constants are Steeleye Span, Tom Waits, Joni Mitchell, the Beatles, and '70's prog rock like Gentle Giant, Happy the Man, Brian Eno, Yes, King Crimson, and Zappa and the Mothers.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

colomon wrote:We listen to lots of stuff at our house, but our favorite non-ITM TM is also perhaps the most unusual -- Newfoundland trad.
Count me as a Newfoundland music fan as well. There is a fair amount of crossover with ITM but the music really is unique. To the groups you mention I would add the Fables, who have a more modern sound with a lot of country overtones, and also the Navigators, who feature a good bit of whistle. Although Great Big Sea has seemed to fall into the "boy band aiming at 14-year-old girls" genre lately, some of their early stuff is pretty good and much more traditional. I think GBS is planning on an all-traditional CD around the end of the year.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

energy wrote:How about Chris Thile?
Oops. I just started listening to him a couple months ago. Yeah, him too.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I listen to a number of traditional forms that are not Irish.

A bunch of tunes fall under the general heading Contra-Dance music. This includes instrumentals from a number of traditions including Cajun, Old Time, Blue Grass, Scottish, and Cape Breton traditions.

Under Scottish tradition I've enjoyed: Dougie MacLean, Alasdair Fraser, The Tannahill Weavers, Bonnie Rideout.

American Folk music has long been a passion with many of my favorites coming from the 1960's including: PP&M (Peter, Paul, and Mary), Simon and Garfunkle, Leonard Cohen, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, Arlo Guthrie, James Taylor. CSN (Crosby, Stills, and Nash), Joan Baez, Burl Ives, Judy Collins, Willie Nelson.

I've also enjoyed a lot of other types of music: klezmer, baroque, clasical, romantic, blues, western, country, jazz, rock.

So much music to enjoy an so little time to listen, learn, play.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

Thanks, everyone, I now have a ridiculous list of music to track down! Mr. Bush, I need another tax refund!

Sorry, though, I think AC/DC won't be on my shopping list soon.

Cheers,

Jeff
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Rando7 wrote:Count me as a Newfoundland music fan as well. There is a fair amount of crossover with ITM but the music really is unique. To the groups you mention I would add the Fables, who have a more modern sound with a lot of country overtones, and also the Navigators, who feature a good bit of whistle.
My wife suggests I also should have mentioned the Punters.
Although Great Big Sea has seemed to fall into the "boy band aiming at 14-year-old girls" genre lately, some of their early stuff is pretty good and much more traditional. I think GBS is planning on an all-traditional CD around the end of the year.
Which we are eagerly anticipating. I thought the trad stuff on Sea of No Cares was great.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Non-ITM that is still TM? How about Scottish? :D

Seriously, I like lots of styles, Nordic amongst them. My favourites are blues and old-timey (both which I play), cajun, gospel, township jive (which I also play), music from West Africa, particularly Senegal and Mali, Zimbabwe, Madagscar, Hungary, Rumania, Ethiopia, Greece (rembetika), Bali and Java, North India and klezmer.

OK now for a list of artists ..... *only kidding*
fiddlecrazy

Post by fiddlecrazy »

I forgot to mention that I do like some Scottish music as well. I'm not a big fan of Alasdair Fraser, but I do like Aly Bain. I LOVE Silly Wizard, and I also like the Old Blind Dogs and the Tannahill Weavers. Kornog (from Brittany) are also great.

Max
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jeff Guevin wrote: Sorry, though, I think AC/DC won't be on my shopping list soon.
Aww c'mon dude, a little headbanging is good for the soul (gotta watch out for the whiplash though) :twisted: !
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

non ITM? for me, it's American Old Timey music - the modern high driving stuff, like the Horseflies, the Wandering Ramblers and One-Eyed Dog. I also love the "guachi" style music from Southern Arizona.
I also play a bit of it and toured Ireland playing it:

http://www.helmintoller.com/rattlers/
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

The NPR station at UNC has a show called "Back Porch Music" that plays all kinds of folk music.
You can stream the show at <A HREF="http://wunc.com/backporchmusic/">http:/ ... hmusic/</A>

The best time to listen is Sunday night when Keith Weston is the DJ.
He has turned me on to all kinds of new music, from blugrass like Guy Clark and the Red Clay Ramblers,
to funny stuff by Four Bitchin' Babes (who are excellent), Amercan folk like Eddie From Ohio,
Breton, Galacian, Irish, Zydeco, and old Cowboy Folk songs.
Anyway, the point is, I liike a mixed bag of TM: never gets boring.