Chiff & Fipple Diet Club

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

jonharl wrote:People are very prejudiced towards overweight people. I think it's the last prejudice that's acceptable. It's just not who I am, I mean this fat guy that can't control myself or is a loser.
Hi. I'm a scrawny guy. I weigh about 140 or 145 pounds, and I'm about 5'10". But I've read some of the stories here, and I just wanted to say, I don't believe at all that heavy people are lazy or gluttonous or whatever. Why? Because no matter how lazy or gluttonous I am, I don't gain weight! It doesn't matter what I eat, I stay pretty much the same. So, I think weight has a LOT more to do with your metabolism, genetics, and the like, than your behavior. And weight has very little or nothing to do with your "character." Sure, you can change somewhat from the size your body "wants" to be, but for some people that takes extreme action, for some people less. I think a lot of the ills of the world are due to the fact that we rarely realize just how different people are. People react differently to food, medicine, temperatures, tastes, smells, what-have-you...and if someone is sensitive so something we're not sensitive to, we tend to assume they're weak or lying or something.

Maybe I'm rambling, but I've thought about the weight issue a fair amount. I have to admit that fat people used to "freak me out" a bit, but nowadays I enjoy people's differences more, and I think I respond more to people's attitudes than their body shape. It certainly seems that fat people have to deal with a bunch of negative junk thrown at them their whole lives...I respect someone who can overcome that. And darn it, some heavy people are real cuties!

I'd like to say "thanks" to Daniel Pinkwater, who has helped me understand many things better:

http://www.fatso.com/interview.html
Daniel Pinkwater wrote:The hatred of fat people, I think, is more modern. It's manufactured. It's a manifestation of the shabbier and cheaper side of culture, which is to say, advertising and skinny models on the beach hawking cigarettes and beer. But it starts with the doctors. They have no success at "curing" fat people. So, doctors being what they are, which is jumped-up little sh*t who have not been allowed to take the right humanities courses, they lay the responsibility on the fat person, saying, "You're a fool! How could you let yourself get this way? Aren't you ashamed?" Being the kind of cuss I am, I pipe up and say, "No, I'm not ashamed." Once when I had a fat doctor, I asked [about our health risk.] Well you know, it's true that as a fat person I run a greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a number of other things. But guess what? The amount of that risk is almost infinitessimal! Fat hatred has become a little more vicious as other groups have excused themselves from being the butts of these cruelties. I think people really couldn't care less about the issue; they just see you as a defenseless person. It's not about fat; it can't be about fat. Fat is too trivial for it to be about.
And maybe you'd like to read Mr. Pinkwater's "The Afterlife Diet" (strange funny book with intelligent fat funny sexy protagonists):
http://www.greenapplebooks.com/cgi-bin/ ... 39899.html
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Third Try: Chiff & Fipple Diet Club

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello All,
I am 30 years TOO old(would rather be 20, if you understand my formula), Seems like I keep losing the wrong things, like height, hair, sleep, memory, flexability...dadada.
I too have been at war with excess weight since I was a kid. I have been successful at times to tame it back, but as I get older, so does trying to do it again(challenge the foe). I have motivational bouts with exercise-Pilates, walking, biking. Just recently, I tried walking with poles, called Nordic Walking, and found it made me walk too hard, made me ache, and I stopped that after about a week and a half. I know that wasn't a fair test, and I understand it to be a more efficient calorie burner than just walking. I will try it again, but I will start the walking program without the poles first, to condition my body first. I also became disinterested emotionally because of employment problems(non).
I quit smoking March 10, 2000; something I celebrate every year on that date, and one of my proudest achievements in this life. I suppose it was easier to diet or keep weight down while smoking, but it kind of defeats the purpose of being healthy, just to show a better exterior.
I've never had a lot of excess energy, except when I'm involved with one of my interests such as music. That may be a key for keeping active and involved, instead of extra food to fill idle moments.
Like a lot of you, probably, I spend too much time on the computer, instead of getting some exercise, something that just needs to be done for good health. I too have arthritis(some degenerative disc, and psoriasis) that would greatly benefit from a regular regime of movement.
I have never been a particularly good joiner, preferring to go things alone, one on one with people instead of a group, but I think this forum is a good thing. It's not too scary. Maybe we can get motivated when we need it the most. It does have a good effect, just talking about it and putting out your thoughts helps you focus on what is going on with you and where you would like to be.
Now, getting there...I went to make breakfast(oatmeal for me) and found myself pouring out of the container into my bowl, thinking about it, then getting out the measuring cups to trim it back a little, and see what I was doing. It's a start, I suppose! I'm in if you have room for more!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Disclaimer: I am venting and I do not want advice about alternative diets or other ways to lose weight.

This South Beach diet is hard. It is very low in carbs. I am doing it for two reasons: weight loss and sugar allergy. I am addicted to Zyrtec. Carbohydrates give me hives (due to an infection I got several years ago...the infection was cured, but hives have a way of taking over and reacting as if an infection were present even when it isn't). So, I am hoping to wean myself off of Zyrtec.

But anyway...this diet is hard because I have no energy, and I have to take care of a baby, basically by myself (except on weekends). Dan is wonderful and emotionally supportive, but he isn't here most of the time. He has a hellish commute and needs to get to sleep early (he wakes up at 4:15). So I am taking care of this baby on almost no fuel.

It's hard. I am really hoping to see a loss of more than a couple of pounds when I weigh myself on Saturday (the beginning of a diet is usually when the greatest change occurs), because I need some motivation to stay on this diet.

You want numbers? Oh God. Ok. My height is 5'4". I weighed about 120 five years ago. That was WAY TOO THIN for me. I had gotten that thin by dieting (calorie counting). I felt like I was wearing a "thin costume." When left to its own devices, my body likes to be around 140. Actually, I feel like me at that weight. It's a comfortable size 10. When I get into food (easy to do), I gain more than that. I weighed about 140 when I met Dan. I weighed about 150 when I got pregnant. The day I delivered, I was up to 190. Oh God. In the next two weeks, I lost 20 without trying. On Saturday, I weighed 166. I just weighed myself and it said 163.6. So there you have it.
~JessieD
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

That's the right direction Jessie. :thumbsup:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It is amazing how people differ, isn't it? After reading Jessie's last post I got to thinking about my mother, who is an inch shorter than I am (I'm 5'4") and looks absolutely smashing at 140. On her frame, it's just perfect. I, on the other hand, although an inch taller, have a tiny frame (my wrists are so thin I can't wear ordinary watch bands...I have to buy adjustable ones and punch extra holes). I look my best at 120, if I'm also very fit. If I'm not working out regularly, however, I'm best at around 110.

My in-laws (who we just visited) are on South Beach, Jessie, and it's definitely a hard one as far as I can see. It's been recommended to me, as it's evidently adaptable to vegetarianism, but I've been hanging back on it...I'm not at all sure it's for me. Are you out of that ultra-restrictive introductory period yet?

Has anyone here read Dr. Phil's weight loss book yet? That's one I've been thinking about picking up, simply because I like his approach to other issues, but I've got so many diet books on my shelves already....

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Redwolf wrote:Are you out of that ultra-restrictive introductory period yet?
No, not yet. Another 5 days.

I just want to state that I think Dr. Phil is absolutely brilliant!! :)
~JessieD
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think he's brilliant about everything. The way he can understand what's REALLY going on in a situation and communicate with people in a way that works. I love his line, "So, has that been working for you?" I am not into TV, but I do watch his show fairly regularly. He is a true expert, doing what he is supposed to be doing.
~JessieD
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

JessieK wrote: I just want to state that I think Dr. Phil is absolutely brilliant!! :)
I think Dr. Phil is brilliant also. Especially when he has one examine their emotional reason for overeating.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

JessieK wrote:
Redwolf wrote:Are you out of that ultra-restrictive introductory period yet?
No, not yet. Another 5 days.

I just want to state that I think Dr. Phil is absolutely brilliant!! :)
Hopefully it will get better then. My father-in-law said that, after the introductory period, the somewhat less restrictive regular diet felt almost like cheating!

I love Dr. Phil's show too...it's the only "talk" type show I watch.

Redwolf
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Vent to your heart's content, Jessie. That's what our 'club' is about - we will listen, we won't judge, and it saves you from having to take out your frustration on Joey or your diet or ultimately yourself.

I don't think that WHICH diet a person is on is all that important. I've done Atkins, Optifast, Weight Watchers, one of my own devising that consisted of five granola bars and a glass of orange juice per day, etc. etc. etc. Almost all of them took off weight - and once I stopped I always got it back with interest. Any diet, if adhered to, will probably work (OK, not the 'see food' diet), but no diet in and of itself will change your behavior and ultimate result.

Some people live on diets - really! They never quit. And how many years, I wonder, do they take off of their lives due to ongoing stress and worry?

If you think about it, compulsive overeating is not all that different from eating disorders such as anorexia or bulemia. The sufferer knows both to be wrong, knows inside that they'll ultimately hurt or kill him/her, and yet very intelligent people are trapped in eating disorders at both ends of the spectrum.

If venting will help you avoid compromising your diet regimen with a piece of cream pie, vent away. We can take it.

PS: Dale, thanks for the "sticky" status
Last edited by Chuck_Clark on Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Weird! My post about thinking Dr. Phil is brilliant in lots of ways (not the one where I merely mentioned him) was a response to Jon's post, and yet it shows up before his!
~JessieD
missy

Post by missy »

ok - here's my story, and why I need ..... well... something!

I'm 5'4". Come from a LONG line of small, thin people, and I have small, thin kids. I too, was pretty darn thin (was voted "skinniest" in high school) - and only got over 100lbs when pregnant. Baby weight came right off, no problems.
However - I also come from a LONG line of type II diabetes - both grandmothers, and my dad (dad never had to take insulin - did his all with diet). And, I was gestational diabetic with both pregnancies (no insulin).
I am now 46. When I hit 40 - my metabolism seemed to have totally STOPPED. I've never been a big eater, nor a big sweet or junk food eater (from being around diabetics, I know I just don't do good on high carbs). I now weigh somewhere between 115 - 120. Now, that may not seem like a lot to most of you, but it sits on me in such a way that I feel crappy. This is 15 - 20 lbs more than I've weighed most of my life (I weighed 121 when I delivered my first son, 127 with the second).
I've looked at things like South Beach, which I realize is close to a diabetic diet, except for the amounts of fat involved. But - honestly, I feel like others in that the ONLY way I'm going to get this extra weight off is to totally stop eating! I also don't want to go into ketosis - did that while pregnant.
I also know that the longer (or more) the weight hangs around, the more of a chance I have to develop diabetis full blown. Which I do NOT want to do.

So - I'm here to offer support in any way I can to those of you who are trying to loose - no matter how little or how much. Hopefully I'll get some ideas from you all for myself (other than starvation!).

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Chuck_Clark wrote:
If you think about it, compulsive overeating is not all that different from eating disorders such as anorexia or bulemia. The sufferer knows both to be wrong, knows inside that they'll ultimately hurt or kill him/her, and yet very intelligent people are trapped in eating disorders at both ends of the spectrum.
They are actually all part of the SAME disorder, which is similar to OCD. In all three cases, there is an extreme obsession with food (which is why anorexics do things like cut out recipes and insist on cooking for the family, even when they're not eating). There was talk, years ago, about trying to treat obsessive food relationships in the same manner as regular OCD, but I don't know what became of it. They're just extreme ends of the same spectrum, when you come right down to it. I still have recipes I cut out of a magazine when I was anorexic...most of them don't even look appealing anymore, so I have no idea why I thought they were worth cutting out, but for some reason I can't seem to throw them away.

Bulemia can also take on aspects of bipolar disorder. My daughter's doctor actually has us watching her for manifestations of bipolar disorder because of my bulemia. During my bulemic phase in San Francisco, the resemblence was marked...my eating binges had all the features of a manic episode (I even had people on the street ask me what I was "on" because I LOOKED manic!)...they'd go on for two or three days and then I'd crash into the "purge" cycle, which was extremely depressive.

To be honest, one of the reasons I really fear dieting is I'm terrified of spiraling into the anorexic/bulemic extreme again. I couldn't stand to put my family through that.

Redwolf
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

I weigh way too much. 5'10", my college weight was in the 200# range, now, well, it's more. I lost back down close to 200ish on Atkins, and on just not eating, but hey, shoot, I love carbs. Oh, well.

Is it common practice for people to get stuff like thyroid levels (or just TSH) checked? I'd imagine there's a big group of people who've got thyroid trouble. I realize I should practice what I preach and have my own thyroid checked . . . but I'm curious. Have many of you asked for a thyroid screen?

Stuart
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

My dad's side of my family has always been overweight (his sister weighs around 400 pounds). My mom's side has been thin to regular. My mom weighed 110 when I was a kid (she has smaller bones than I do) and only started to gain weight when she hit menopause a few years ago. She promptly dieted (the Zone) and lost all the excess, but then her thyroid gave her trouble and she gained it back again. She has done Atkins and lost most of it, but now she's feeling a little lazy about that (which is totally fine), because her mother is dying and she is taking care of her and going through it all. But anyway, back to weight...I never really thought about it until I moved to Nashville and didn't have a scale. I got hit by a minivan while on a bicycle and stopped exercising, period. I was 19. In two and a half years (after that), I gained 25 pounds without noticing that it was anything more than being "a little bloated." I was shocked at my doctor's office. So I went on a calorie-counting diet and lost 35 pounds in a few months. I was a size 2 and I felt ridiculous. Men were giving me (unwanted) attention and I felt that they were looking at a costume, as I mentioned earlier. I looked in the mirror and saw someone other than me. So I tried to gain some weight. It didn't happen right away, so I tried harder. Well, I gained 8 pounds literally overnight. Over the next couple of years, I put the weight back on, then I lost it again, then gained it, then lost it. Then gained it. Then I got pregnant (on purpose). So here I am. I know I keep telling more of the story each time I post, but other people's posts remind me of stuff I have forgotten to mention.

My first husband's first wife was a stick figure...I think she didn't eat. I compared myself to her and that made me want to be thinner, because he gave me some affection when I was thin, even if I didn't feel like myself.

My husband Dan is loving and supportive. he says I have all the time in the world to lose weight (if I want to), and that he finds me beautiful regardless. I feel more loved than I have before, and that helps. He's on the diet with me.

:)
~JessieD