Scotch and the crazy Scots who drink it

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rkottke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rkottke »

jbarter wrote:Maybe that's why the Irish have an 'e' in whiskey, so the Scots can't sue them. :D
I have tried a number of Scotch whiskys and a number of Irish Whiskeys and I always thought the 'e' stood for excellance.
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

I'll just stick with my good old Canadian rye whisky. Or whiskey. Or whatever.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cyfiawnder wrote: The problem is there is Too many damn sue happy people! It's not the lawyers that caused the problem, they were just benifiting from it.
I agree wholeheartedly. If the judges didn't make such idiotic rulings the lawyers wouldn't persue the cases.
What ever happened to common sense?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

geek4music wrote:
Cyfiawnder wrote:
What ever happened to common sense?
Too much Whisky.

Post by Guest »

Isn't the word "Glen" like the word "Whiskey" Gaelig, who then can lay claim to it?

The Feadog ...whatever remained very popular in Ireland when it had become virtualy unknown everywhere else in the British Isles, but it NEVER did enjoy much pupularity there anyway. The little Flute however is another story

The earliest TWs were made of Oat stalk. Nobody knows when that practice arose or where it came from, so the Scots could easily have inherited the custom along with the Bagpipes from the same ancestors. However, collected Scottish folk dance music shows little sign of Whistle much less the Flute, instead it looks like it was made for the Fiddle.

So if the Irish did not invent TW and TWing they sure as hell found a better use for it! See O Niell's 1001 tunes -
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

[quote="toasty"]Isn't the word "Glen" like the word "Whiskey" Gaelig, who then can lay claim to it?

The Feadog ...whatever remained very popular in Ireland when it had become virtualy unknown everywhere else in the British Isles, but it NEVER did enjoy much pupularity there anyway. The little Flute however is another story

[quote]
No Wiskey is not a Gaelic word, no words in Gaelic start with W
In Scots Gaelic we have the whistle as Feadag Feadan and Fead.
And --------- so when did Northen Ireland stop being part of the British Isles :o
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&

Post by Guest »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:
toasty wrote:Isn't the word "Glen" like the word "Whiskey" Gaelig, who then can lay claim to it?

No Wiskey is not a Gaelic word, no words in Gaelic start with W
In Scots Gaelic we have the whistle as Feadag Feadan and Fead.
And --------- so when did Northen Ireland stop being part of the British Isles :o
Ulster ISN'T part of the UK - because it is not on 'that' island. It is on the island of Ireland allbeit occupied by the British Army and a few wankers who havn't the balls to do the right thing - gway hame..
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

:-?
Toasty, you really need to get your act together a bit more.
The "British Isles" is a geographical distinction as opposed to a political one and therefore Chiff Fipple is correct.
I hold very strong Republican beliefs but in this case I see nothing that offends those beliefs.

Slan,
D.