Complete O'Carolan

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Complete O'Carolan

Post by burnsbyrne »

I don't recall seeing this posted before. I found this in the rec.music.celtic board today. I make no warranties on the accuracy, etc. but it looks like a useful site. http://www.sosyourmom.com/occ/tunes.html
Mike
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I like this line on the home page: :lol:

NOTE: WHILE ALL TUNES HAVE BEEN TRANSPOSED FROM Eb, Bb, F and other such "orchestral" keys into "USER FRIENDLY" (for the untrained musician) keys like A, D and G, it is eminently possible in the NWC programme to move these back to their original keys or to further transpose them to things like Ab. (But why would you want to?)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

BrassBlower wrote:I like this line on the home page: :lol:

NOTE: WHILE ALL TUNES HAVE BEEN TRANSPOSED FROM Eb, Bb, F and other such "orchestral" keys into "USER FRIENDLY" (for the untrained musician) keys like A, D and G, it is eminently possible in the NWC programme to move these back to their original keys or to further transpose them to things like Ab. (But why would you want to?)
See Martin's thread about disclaimers.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

burnsbyrne wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:I like this line on the home page: :lol:

See Martin's thread about disclaimers.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, who of Turlough's descendants would bring a lawsuit concerning the re-keying of his tunes?

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Nice site - and one where I could see myself wasting a great deal oft time in days to come. Thanks.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Denny

Post by Denny »

pizak

Thank you

Post by pizak »

While I have forked out for the book - I love ABC and its great to have all the tunes - transposed (and ready to retranspose) and also ready to be printed emailed, linked etc. Yay

Wicked.

Paul
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

All that work on the page and NO guitar chords so friends could
play along, :-?
not TOO useful, after all :-? :-?
Lolly
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

lollycross wrote:All that work on the page and NO guitar chords so friends could
Lolly
If they need chords written out for them (to O'Carolan tunes, sheesh) you don't want to play with them anyway.
/Bloomfield
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Bloomfield wrote:
lollycross wrote:All that work on the page and NO guitar chords so friends could
Lolly
If they need chords written out for them (to O'Carolan tunes, sheesh) you don't want to play with them anyway.
DING!!! :lol:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Yes, Bloomie and Darwin, you are correct BUT,
so many people out there could care less if I made a cd or not.
When I ask them to record with me, and give them a roughed-in
cd and the sheet music, they listen once and maybe try to
play along. Then I beg for months, and sometimes, finally I can
get someone to come over and sit for an hour and play for me.
I pay them, and they are gone, not caring if they played good or bad.
Without the Chords on the sheet music they say; "oh, not that one"!
and I know its cause they have been too un-caring to even try to figure
out the chords. I guess I just need to meet some musician who gives
a darn; but then they would be working on their own album, wouldn't they!
Lolly
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

You shouldn't be paying a "guitarist" who can't play unless he has chords written out for him! Seriously! A guitarist worthy of being paid for session work won't have any trouble deriving his or her own chords. They may have trouble getting other things right, if they are not familiar with ITM, but they shouldn't have any trouble deriving the chords.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Quite a few of the collections I've seen with chords added are just plain wrong. This is mainly because the chord chooser has been unaware of the various different modes in ITM.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Lolly,

Try to find a guitarist who is an avid listener of rock and roll oldies and who can play these tunes without a chart. He will already know the proper chords and turnaround patterns for trad music, and will likely be able to properly strum a reel or hornpipe right away (he may have to practice a little at strumming jigs). If he can play rock and roll "slow dance" tunes, he can likely play an air or an O'Carolan tune as well. Give this guy a rough draft of one of your tunes, and he should be able to bang out a chord chart in two or three listenings.

-Galileo
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I will admit to an interest in why an itinerant harpist, like O'Carolan, would perform his music in 'orchestral' keys, such as Eb, rather than in more standard 'folk' keys...This makes little sense to me. I know little about folk harps. However, I have played in groups with them... Looking over the instrument, and seeing what strings are 'color-coded', and what sharping levers are considered standard, I am confused... (I find the O'Carolan site's disclaimer odd for a number of reasons...This is just one of them...)

I must be over-looking something....Can anyone help with an explanation?

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979