New Whistle Teaser Pics

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

Cyfiawnder wrote:Marine grade?
yes, sailboats use a lot of stainless steal and carbon fiber masts, keels and rudders , especially in modern racers.
billw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I am slow...

Post by billw »

But eventually... Hey, I have a Low D by Justin, and promised I'd put up pictures of it. Here they are. The whistle is white PVC decorated with engraved embellishments filled with silver lacquer(?). Very pretty, a tad airy, but to my tastes, and plays 100% in tune all the way up.

This whistle is featured on my Loch Ness Minstrels' "Gone Missing" CD.

http://www.gonemissing.us

I have deliberately put up high-res pictures so you can look closely at the workmanship, which is excellent.

Nice work, Cyf!!!
:D
Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Loch Ness Minstrels
Last edited by billw on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Bump: Wow it looks better than I remember :) I should have made a carbon copy before I sent that one out, but I was so pleased with it I got excited and couldn't contain myself any longer, and I just had to share it with the world :)

Tansy:
I though you were suggesting that I was a Jarhead aka Leatherneck aka Devil Dog... Almost but I got a job and declined to go to basic... On the other hand once I took my Military placement test I got piles of mail from the Marines, the Airforce, the Army. and the Regular Navy... who would have thought a score high Enough for Army Intel would get me all the mail... I felt special for years...

Brewpaul:
No currosion as of yet. The 360 brass doesn't touch the Stainless steel at all. I'm am going to have to remove the stainless part so I can get at the Fipple plug. I have to file a 32nd of an inch off of the fipple or so... Moisture build up happens at an Alarming rate even with airs... I can't finish a whole verse of The Foggy Dew before I am forced to clrear the windway. The Dish Detergent trick didn't work... Isn't R&D grand?

Grxxly:
I developed my plans on my own... Well if you're asking if I had Direction from somwhere... The first whistle I ever Built (from an aluminum curtain rod) Was of a like design. I found directions of the Web, but after reading through them I figured the way that was in the direction... wooden sanded & Carved fipple plug, bend down blade... It just looked more difficult than it had to be. After I started using the Curved fipple, and Blade design I found quite a few other people that use almost the exact same system...
Last edited by Cyfiawnder on Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Another Update:
Disassembly of the Head without Damaging anything has proven to Be nigh but impossible. At least I know the design Is sturdy. What I am going to do is Take measurements from the current "head" and Build a New one using a revised desing for the fipple... I may be able to recover the fipple and the stainless mouthpice but the tubing is probably going to be completely ruined. I'm going to make the windway and window a little bit wider to strengthen the bottom end, and I'm going to increase the ceiling height in the windway to Reduce the clogging problem. Increasing the Height will also reduce backpressure and create a more breathy sound, but since it isn't breathy at all at the moment, and There is an over abundance of backpressure I think everything will turn out for the best. The problem is... The head took the most time out of everythng. Of course at that time I was still learning what I could, and Could not do in reguards to working with this tubing. Hopefully that will sulve the problem. I WILL be monitoring this thread, so If anyone has any further questions I will answer them as best I can.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Oops I forgot to say. I did post a version of Captain Picard's Air on clips and Snips under Misc I think. The clip is a sound file of the Whistle that Bill W posted pictrues of. Still working on the carbon one.... oh yea.

I felt I should say Amar, since his name hasn't shown up in this thread yet, and I have heard he likes to do searches for his own namewhen he has been gone a while :)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cyfiawnder wrote:I felt I should say Amar, since his name hasn't shown up in this thread yet, and I have heard he likes to do searches for his own namewhen he has been gone a while :)
:lol: ooooh mercy! Nice one, Centurion, I like it! :D
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Poor Amar, he's goign to be SOoooo busy when he gets back lol. That will teach him not to take the rest of us with him...
billw

Post by billw »

Nuts. I apologize about the giant pictures! I thought they'd size to the page - guess not. I'll fix them tonight - can't get at my site at the moment (working on borrowed PC)...

Justin's whistles are cool!

Cheers, :D
Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

An Unsolved Mysteries Update:

Hehehe I always wanted to say that.
ANyway it turned out that I won't have to make a new whistle head. After a few minutes of playing and a close examination of the condensation I dicovered that the windway wasn't the only thing to blame for the glogging problem. Well it WAS clogging but the issue was actually condesation that was blowing out of the windway and clinging to the underside of the blade, rendering the whistle unplayable. Once I figure this out... I dipped the whole head in dish soap and water, let it sit for a bit. The took it out wipped it off, and let it dry on its own. Now it plays like a charm, and no more condensation Yeah!....

Cyfiawnder
the mad whistler
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Mmm, now you will be able to play --- I'm for ever blowing bubbles, With real bubbles :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Yup, too bad it's too loud to play at night... One of these weekends I'll have to record something durring the day so i don't wake everyone up...
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Damn it... I can't put this thing down. Evertytime I sit down I just have to pick it up and look at it.
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I’ve seen tapered graphite tubes for sale on the net. I've also seen all the supplies needed to make graphite and Kevlar composites. They were priced at, and in amounts within a modest budget.

The oddest material I have wanted to make whistles from is chemical vapor deposition [CVD] diamond. CVD diamond is completely within in the realm of good amateur mad science. It was even discussed on the forum before.

Rod