Chinese pipe cluster -- what is it?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Daryl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chinese pipe cluster -- what is it?

Post by Daryl »

Any ideas on what this is? Chinese bagpipes without the bag, maybe? Looks rather like a cluster of drone pipes -- couldn't see any tone holes. If you do know what it is, how the heck is it played?

(Caution: the seller is in China and, according to buyer reviews, is not necessarily honest about the age of their wares!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 40395&rd=1

-- Daryl
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That's a sheng. The toneholes can be seen at the bases of the pipes.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wow. A sheng. Just what kind of tobaccy does a sheng take anyway?

In case anyone's interested, here's a useful quote from the seller:
The item was work well and keeps full!and it comes from people collect.

So, not to worry. It keeps full. And comes from people collect. (Does that mean the buyer has to pay shipping?)
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

emmline wrote: In case anyone's interested, here's a useful quote from the seller:
The item was work well and keeps full!and it comes from people collect.

Yes, that was a helpful line, wasn't it? Talk about multiple entendre! :D

Anyway, thanks Nano & Em! That was far too quick, though. I'd hoped it wouldn't be THAT easy. Now I feel truly dumb.

A friend told me that there's someone in San Diego who plays these beautifully. By covering the sound holes on various pipes you can play chords as well as notes. But he also said that the seams are typically sealed with lead, so you have to be careful about that. (He also noticed that the seal around the base of the mouthpiece looks quite shiny, and that they probably bang these out as tourist trinkets but try to make them look antique.)

Still, might be fun on the novelty instrument shelf.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Wow. A sheng. Just what kind of tobaccy does a sheng take anyway?
Wow. Uh. I don't think it's tobbacco they put in those things.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Rumor has it that there was someone at Willie Week a few years back, playing ITM on one of these. I think I may have read about it in the Crossroads book (and wouldn't that be appropriate, too).
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Bloomfield wrote:Rumor has it that there was someone at Willie Week a few years back, playing ITM on one of these. I think I may have read about it in the Crossroads book (and wouldn't that be appropriate, too).
I seem to recall that, too. I believe it's somewhere in the "Instruments that Irk You" thread over at the ITM Forum. The poster wasn't irked, mind you, with the end result.
Daryl wrote:Now I feel truly dumb.
Please don't. Useless minutiae are my stock in trade.
:)
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I have smaller one of these that I picked up in China a few years back. The make a lot of these to sell to tourists - the small models only cost a few dollars (mine's quite playable - I suspect many aren't). They're a free reed instrument, rather like a harmonica.

If you really want one, Lark in the Morning carries a few models. Or you can probably pick up a small one like mine in any area with a decent-sized Chinatown.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

DCrom wrote:I have smaller one of these that I picked up in China a few years back. The make a lot of these to sell to tourists - the small models only cost a few dollars (mine's quite playable - I suspect many aren't). They're a free reed instrument, rather like a harmonica.
This, and related forms from other far eastern countries are the oldest known of the free reeds. I have a kaen, from Thailand, which is similar.
Reasonable person
Walden
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

in times gone by, the best of these instruments were made of bamboo that came from 100 year old kitchen roof thatch, the airborne oils doing the seasoning. and people on the uilleann forum bitch about having to wait.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

If that's really an antique, that industrial-grade plastic strapping around it is an interesting approach to restoration.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I think the thing that appeared at Willie Week might have been a kaen of the Thai variety. In Japan, this type of free-reed instrument is known as the sho (basically just the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese character sheng) and is used in gagaku (traditional Japanese court music...a bit of an acquired taste). Another instrument I've always been curious about in this vein is the hichiriki, a double-reeded Japanese shawm. Sounds a bit like an uilleann pipe chanter, actually. When I was living in Japan, a noted hichiriki player named Togi Hideki did an album of new agey, Kenny G-esque crap and made a serious killing. He drives a Ferrari now...
satyricon234

Post by satyricon234 »

The Lark site has another interesting instrument, the Gu Zheng. I'd wonder what they sound like.
John S

Post by John S »

The mechanism (or lack of it) of operation is a masterpiece of simplicity; each pipe has a Free Reed at its base through which the air flows into the pipe. The pipe has a small hole above the reed and when a finger covers it the reed is coupled to the pipe whose length is chosen to resonate at the reeds pitch, and start to vibrate.
Positive action with no mechanism to go wrong.
The notes start very quickly with no perceivable delay.

John S
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Nanohedron wrote:If that's really an antique, that industrial-grade plastic strapping around it is an interesting approach to restoration.
Oh, but that's antique plastic strapping, straight from the Ming dynasty :roll:

If anybody is considering this, you might want to look at the shipping charge - $73 :boggle:

I've bought stuff and had it shipped from China and the shipping isn't that expensive, usually around ten to fifteen dollars for priority mail that took about a week.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.