Whistle tab

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

how do you learn new music best?

By my good old ear
35%
Normal sheet music or sight reading
44%
Tab
21%

Total votes: 48

irishduffy

Whistle tab

Post by irishduffy »

Anyone know of any tin whistle tab sites. Not including the chiff and fipple collection or (abacci not sure the spelling). I can read music but tab makes it easier for me to put a song into memory. also I have all the tin whistle fonts.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

There's some stuff in the site mentioned in this thread:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=20660
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Thanks the above site is a great source, keep the links coming if any one has more.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I wish I had a better good ol' ear. (Or at least better good ol' fingers which could translate sounds perceived by my good ol' ear. better.)
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I usually download the MIDIs, then play them at fairly slow speeds in Cakewalk while displaying the melody line in standard notation. The MIDI helps me determine the general sound and feel of the tune, and the notation helps me find subtle things that I may miss just by listening.

Then, as I learn the tune, I progressively add about 10 beats per minute and try again, noting the highest speed at which I can keep a good rhythm. That way I can check my progress.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

emmline i'm sure more of us wish we could pick up by ear some are born naturals but others have to go the route of brassblower. I like his ideal you get the best of both worlds. And after a few years of playing insturments slowly i'm starting to pick up some songs by ear (very few) but better than none.
JamesF

Post by JamesF »

Tablature Karaoke
I'm getting too dependent on it though. :(
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I taught meself to read the dots and scratches, and still from time to time learn tunes from that.

But I found that for me, the best way to learn a tune was to slow it right down, break it up into blocks of a couple of bars, transcribe it onto paper, and then finally play along with it at about 50% normal speed. Then gradually speed it up...

I tried just learning it without the transcription process, but somehow that doesn't work for me. I think the process of playing the notes and then scribbling them down somehow 'impresses' them in me brain. Plus, I get to hear where the performers are breathing...which helps a lot. Really, a lot!

I'm just getting to the stage where if I'm noodling, I suddenly break into a bit of a tune I recognise but haven't 'learned'...it's really most frustrating 'cos by the time I've finished searching through all my 'stuff' to identify the tune, I've forgotten it again... (note to self...keep recording device handy at all times).

PS... Amar's on holiday in Scotland. I thought I'd just mention his name, lest we forget.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
skh

Post by skh »

My problem is not the ear - I can write down a slowed-down tune in dots fairly quickly - but my extreme short-term memory when learning a tune. I can sight-read, so I often use self-written dots and learn the tune by heart from them.

Fastest and easiest and most fun is having another person teach me a tune. Unfortunately the guys on those recordings refuse to step down from the CD covers to do so.

Can't read tabs at all.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
skh

Post by skh »

I forgot - what works ok, but much slower, too, is lilting instead of transcribing the tune. The problem is, I can write a tune down silently without driving the people around me mad. To lilt I have to be alone, and in the end I write the tune down anyway because I only trust my memory after a few days of playing a tune not to lose it again. So I'm lazy and use the devil's dots. I'm bad.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I had an interesting, and somewhat frustrating experience this weekend in regard to learning a new tune.

I have a CD that has a solo flute piece on it that I absolutely loved, and after trying to lilt-and-learn and getting nowhere, I hunted down the dots, and found a totally different tune. As many places as I tried, none were this tune. I resorted to finding my copy of the Amazing Slowdowner (on a long unused computer, and spent a few hours going (I'm not kidding) at 25% speed to get the whole thing. I got it, was able to move up to 80%, and after a few reviews the next day I had the tune down cold and was mightily pleased. Tyghre, of course was a raving lunatic by this point, as I had played the thing over and over and over to the point of insanity.

Today while listening to one of the online 'radios' I heard The Tune being done on a fiddle. I was delighted to have recognized it, and dashed over to see who was playing it...and found out that it had an entirely different name from the one on the CD I learned it on.

The correct name plugged into various sources got me the right tune, and lo and behold, it was in my favorite book of sessions tunes, on a page I frequented often. I could have had this tune, and a selection of variations on phrases, if I had had the right name all along and used written music. But I probably wouldn't have had it memorized yet. It takes me a lot longer to memorize if I'm reading.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I mostly learn from the dots, but I can pick tunes out by ear--preferably on the flute, where I have greater chromatic choices.

I can empathize with Tyghress's problem--had pretty much the same thing happen to me. The tunes on the CD were named wrong, but as I had gotten the disk from a friendly and knowledgeable importer (Phillippe Varlet, Celtic Grooves, http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CGhome.html ), I e-mailed my problem was able to get the tune correctly identified and locate the dots with out too much trouble.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Tyghress wrote:I could have had this tune, and a selection of variations on phrases, if I had had the right name all along and used written music.
You can usually get good alternative names (as well as history and authorship) to tunes at the Ceolas Fiddler's Companion

http://www.ceolas.org/tunes/fc/
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I don't learn new music. At least not very often.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I just go through the by-ear process (with the few odd exceptions; then it's dots, and usually to jog the memory). One reason I stick with that even though it may be less efficient sometimes --depends on the tune-- is that I believe I'm more likely to have something of my own come out in the playing, the tune having been fitered through my own personal brain quirks.

I did succumb to the siren call of the dots, today. There's a seven-part reel that I couldn't be certain of the order of its sections. That was useful. Then I checked out the notation for some other tunes...nothing I'd want to learn today. I'm sure I'd change my mind had I heard them, though.