OT What's In A Name? II

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

This is fun! I've wondered about some of these names.

The rn part of mine is pretty obvious as that's what I do for a living, registered nurse. rebl is because I used to be a Confederate War Between the States re-enactor. It's also my license plate, which is something that often brings a lot of questions up here in Wisconsin - but I tell people I do live in SOUTHERN Wisconsin.

Beth
Jazz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jazz »

I used my dog's name.:oops:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

This is the license plate I wanted my daughters to get when they got their first car,BUT, they didn't think that was for them- so when I had to come up with something for the internet.... I do have cows, and am female, and cows always need something at the worst times, they get out, they need help calving, etc. it's always cowtime.so , I don't know, I just seems strange, so I picked this.
Lady Whistler

Post by Lady Whistler »

I was playing at a thing and left the stage when I was done. One of the guys running the thing called me back and couldn't remember my name so he called me whistlers mother. I didn't liked whistlers mother but wanted something more me so I decided on Lady Whistler.

Angela
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

Well..DanD was already taken, Since I'm a Computer Graphics Artist I decided to shorten it to Graphics I'm a guy, Hence
GraphicsGuy. Original isnt it ?

LOL
Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Sorry, this IS my name (well, Charles, I suppose, but no one but my mom's used that in years).
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

The origin of mine is a lot like Cees'.

My sisters -- all younger than me -- used to call me "tua chay", which means "big sister" in Teochew. That's a Chinese dialect most of you will not be as familiar with as Mandarin or Cantonese.

Over the years, the term got shortened to one syllable and the addition of a "z". What is it with young people and the letter z? :roll:
Mastersound

Post by Mastersound »

Mine's boring. Mastersound is the model of my Maton guitar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mastersound on 2002-03-05 00:14 ]</font>
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Mine's pretty predictable, I suppose.

<b>But</b>, you'll see me on the chat forums sometimes as "mendel". I've used IRC for about ten years now, and I've been "mendel" for about six of those. I'm already on a couple other channels on the network we're using, so if I'm just popping in I don't bother starting up another program instance to use "rich". So if you see some guy named "mendel" claiming to be me, no need to be any more suspicious than you would be anyhow. :smile:

It used to be "mendelson", which was a handy way of fitting "mendelssohn" in nine letters, but people started calling me "mendel", and it stuck. So it's either after Felix, or Gregor, or Joe. Or nothing at all.

<ul>-Rich</ul>
24BRIX

Post by 24BRIX »

Mine's a wine making term. It's also the name of a gourmet deli/wine tasting room where I live.

Now, don't go thinking I'm in to making wine. I just liked the sound of it. Since I live in "the heart of wine country" why not? :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 24BRIX on 2002-03-05 00:56 ]</font>
Arcaic Lemons

Post by Arcaic Lemons »

I got sucked into a contract for MSN for two years *sigh*. I needed to pick a nick name and wanted Lemon Drop. That, of course, was taken. It kept trying to pick names for me, and for some odd reason it picked Arcaic Rat. I took Arcaic and Lemons and stuck them together.
"Darlin'; They're flying past the window now...."
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

hey, Kari (Arcaic Lemon),
nice to see you posting. :smile:

Best
/Bloomfield
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Hey Kari! Image It's good to see you back. I've always wondered about your username--I like it much better than Arcaic Rat. :razz:

We need your help on 'It's Sickening'... postings have dwindled to nothing without you and Dan!! ::grin::

Hwyl fawr,
Andrea ~*~
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Ok, I wasn't going to, but since I've posted to this thread now, I guess I might as come right out with it and let everybody know how I got my nickname. Just don't laugh.

It was because of Jenny Mayweather. She didn't give me the name exactly, but it was still because of her: She won the spelling bee.

I remember it was in seventh grade and we had a schoolwide spelling bee. I was the one of the two finalists (even though I really didn't spell very well at all, and don't to this day). The other finalist was Jenny Mayweather. Jenny grew up to be a beautiful woman and we couldn't believe it when she married Isaac Menachem Abrahamson, a Kletzmer musician specializing in Bar Mitzvahs. Isaac's mother died of grief when he married a shiksa, but Jenny gave Isaac eight children before I lost count, so on balance, I guess it's all right. But that is another story.

At the time of the spelling bee, of course, I hated Jenny and her damned freckles and stupid pigtails. I couldn't admit that she spelled better than I did. But she did win the spelling bee. The word was "scalpel". I spelled it "skullpale". Everybody laughed. The whole school. I was so embarrassed and humiliated, worse than the time I had worn my sister's skirt to kindergarten, not knowing any better. I was so angry that I vowed revenge on Jenny Mayweather. I was going to singe her stupid pigtails off with fire. And that's how I got my nickname, Bloomfield.

You see, they caught me sneaking back from the spelling-bee-bonfire toward Jenny with a large burning log. It must have looked suspicious, because they scolded me and made me go home. The next day I had to go to see the Reverend, who was going to give me a talking-to. I've always known that evil thoughts attract bad things, and I was positively stewing in evil thoughts that morning as walked down the country lane toward the Reverend's house.

And so they got me. It felt funny, like being lifted up and falling asleep at the same time. The space aliens abducted me to the distant world of Gor, a brutal planet with mean warriors and pliant women. (Don't worry, I didn't believe it either, at first.) The brutal world of Gor was not much better than the spelling bee and I failed miserably. I didn't cut it as a sex-slave, and all I was fit for was food for the priest-kings. But they had already eaten. I was packed off again on the next slave ship and returned to Earth, not really harmed but pretty confused. And that's how I met Bloomfield.

The Gorean slavers got the time not quite right and they dumped me a few centuries back (during the time of Henry VIII, as I later found out). I was picked up by this very peculiar gent in black who wasn't at all surprised when I told him that I had been abducted by space aliens, rejected as a sex-slave, and that I wanted to see my mother now. He couldn't help me much, but he was friendly and wanted me to help him. "What do you want me to help you with?" He held up one of his long fingers and stared into my eyes: "To turn copper into gold!" Great, I thought, this keeps getting better and better.

Anyway, I wasn't going to see my mother soon, and Bloomfield at least fed me well. Yes, that was Bloomfield, Master William Bloomfield. He was constantly having dreams and talking to flowers and mixing stuff. I got used to his ways and helped him in his shop. (I never got used to the awful smell...) Actually, he was working on a book and he made me write it down for him. Here is a part that I still remember:
The Dreame of Mr Blomefeild

Audite somnium meum quod vidi.
The Mt yeere of Christ, D L & seuen,
In the month of march, asleep as I did lye,
Late in the night, of the clocke about eleuen,
In spiritu rapt I was, soodenly into heauen;
Where I saw sittinge in most glorious maiesty
Three beholding, I adored but one in deitye:

A Spirit incircumscript with burninge heate incombustible;
Light of brightnes permanent, as fountaine of all light;
Three knit in one, with glory incomprehensible,
Which to behold I had a greate Delighte.
This trulye [to attayne] surmounted my might;
But a voice from that glorious brightnes to me saide,
"I am one god of Immeasurable maiesty: be not afraide."
As you can tell, my spelling really was horrible.

What I didn't realize at the time is that Gorean slavers have a strict code of conduct, and displacing returned slaves in time is considered a no-no. So eventually they came back for me. They still had the same navigator and they missed it a bit, which is why I spent several years with Bloomfield.

On the day they came for me we had just run the Great Experiment, and I think we actually did manage to produce some gold. A little nugget. But the forces involved are truly terrible, and the tower caught on fire. So as I get sucked up by the Goreans, and I'm losing consciousness fast, I see below me the burning tower and Bloomfield standing there in his black habit laughing this cackling laugh and the flames lapping higher and higher. Poor fellow.

When I came round during the Saturday-morning cartoons I was still screaming "Bloomfield, Bloomfield!" at the top of my lungs, because I had grown to like him, and there he was burning with his gold. My brothers laughed and my mother was worried. My father beat me for not going to see the Reverend. Jenny Mayweather didn't speak to me for months.

And they all called me Bloomfield after that.
/Bloomfield
brownja

Post by brownja »

And they all called me Bloomfield after that.
You mean it's not because you live in Bloomfield????
Imagine my chagrin.
jb