Anyone ever deal with this member:Michael Coleman?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I've also had varying experience with mailing times, especially international mail (which also includes customs delays). Even to neighboring Canada packages sometimes arrive quickly, sometimes not.

I'd also like to say that I've NEVER been burned by a Chiff and Fippler, whether I've been on the buying or selling end.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
SirNick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

brewerpaul wrote:I've also had varying experience with mailing times, especially international mail (which also includes customs delays). Even to neighboring Canada packages sometimes arrive quickly, sometimes not.

I'd also like to say that I've NEVER been burned by a Chiff and Fippler, whether I've been on the buying or selling end.
I've always had a positive experience with any and all communications or dealings with a C & F'er. But we all know that Dale Force One is heavily armed and will carpet bomb the household of any C & F bad apples that try any monkey business! :shock:
"You have my undivided attention"
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Wow, I don't check here in a week or two and it looks like my club membership is in question. As of late I have had a few people question my integrity as a sender-of-mail and a seller-of-flutes. I am sorry for the USPS slow mailing process, I wish the package could have arrived the day after I sent it, but it didn't. I, too, have had the priveledge of dealing with people on this board and have been quite impressed. I am sorry again, Barry, I hope it arrives soon and as I said in the email, I will check on my end to see what is going on. I really am an ok guy and not trying to cheat anyone.

Keep whistling.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle Held Up

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I recently sold a whistle to a gentleman outside the U.S. I always want to hear from buyer when I sell a whistle if they received it in good condition. So the gentleman emailed me back and told me that he loved the whistle, but that it had been held up in customs and cost him $60.00 for its release.

Anyone else ever heard of this?
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yes, I've heard many Canadian members mention considerable trouble with customs. Also I remember hearing that the fees for transactions between the USA and Germany were particularly expensive for some reason.

I've shipped to Canada, UK, and Australia but I have not been told of any substantial fees on those transactions, if there were any.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

NorCalMusician wrote:I sent a whistle recently (cheapest method for various reasons) and it took 15-16 days to arrive.

There are various priorities that the PO uses to determine who gets the next ride. Obviously, the more you pay, the more likely it is your package will get on the next ride!!!!
You are correct sir!

Bulk and parcel post can be delayed three days once it arrives at the destination post office.

First and second class, priority and obviously express mailings must go to the addressee the day they arrive at the destination post office.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
waitingame

Re: Whistle Held Up

Post by waitingame »

KDMARTINKY wrote:... but that it had been held up in customs and cost him $60.00 for its release.

Anyone else ever heard of this?
This happens frequently in the UK. The usual charge is 17.5% VAT (of whatever value C&E place on the item but usually close to the value placed on the Customs declaration) plus a charge somewhere around £8.00 from Royal Mail for collecting the VAT. This only applies to items from outside of the EU.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

avanutria wrote:
I've shipped to Canada, UK, and Australia but I have not been told of any substantial fees on those transactions, if there were any.
Regarding Australia, in theory I think they can charge tax on items valued at $A200 or more but they rarely do on items a bit over. I've had to pay tax on a Copeland low D and on a flute. I also had to talk my way out of paying tax for a flute on loan but that was easy enough with documentation from the sender. A full set of Abells got through without tax.

I sometimes get involved in complicated transactions so I have a bit of experience with different countries. Australia to and from US is mostly OK. Canada is a little more problematic. For reasons I don't understand, items take longer to cross the border from Canada to neighbouring US states than they do to reach Australia, but when you think about it, it is less surprsising. These days, time spent on the plane isn't the issue. It's time spent in customs or in transit to the wrong place that causes delays.

Fortunately, the only serious delays I've had have involved parcels from or to good friends, so integrity wasn't ever in question. The mail system has always sorted itself out eventually although one small parcel got to me months late from the US, sent, despite very clear addressing, via Malmo, Sweden. Even then there was no apparent reason why it should have taken several months.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I just received a whistle that was delayed in transit.

I think it is essential to send whsitles as small packages/petit paquets. In Ireland (and probably in a lot of other countries as well) the handling of packages has been taken over by private companies. In Ireland packages are not handled by An Post but by GSL.
Several whistles sent to me from the US and Australia that travelled as a small package were delivered to my house by out regular postman, arrived in 4 to 7 days and never incurred customs duties. While the GSL package took twenty days from the US and had a customsfee and VAT attached adding twenty percent to the original price.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I've had the best success sending whistles internationally using the postal service and packaging/sending them letter rate. The smaller the package the better. I've noticed that I can send the same size item either letter post or parcel post. Parcel post costs more for some reason, and seems more likely to be stopped for customs.

Best wishes,
Jerry
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Anyone ever deal with this member:Michael Burdett?

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hello all,
The Kerry low D finally made it's arrival on the slow boat, the USS Mail! I guess I'm getting too old and impatient, and grumpy. But mail shouldn't take that long, except at sea.
I apologize to Michael for any suspicions I had, and passed on, but I was concerned that it may happen to others. I have heard of many similar situations, but NOT from members of this board, thankfully.
I learned that the next time I send a whistle, it will be sent Priority Mail, Insured, and probably with tracking. How much is the peace of mind worth?; it's got to be worth a few extra dollars, at least!
Now I can get down to some unserious whistling, and let's just let the music make us feel good again.

Update: I've since learned that Michael is indeed a good guy, and we only have to divide the blame between a lack of communication, the Post Office, some suspicion and impatience, all thrown into the mix! Sorry Michael!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I've noticed that I can send the same size item either letter post or parcel post. Parcel post costs more for some reason, and seems more likely to be stopped for customs.
The estimated transit time for parcel post is also greater than for letter post... at the higher cost, you'd think it would be the other way around.
Customs pays particular attention to parcel post packages, since those are likely to contain items of value... most people choose parcel post over letter post because it can be insured.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Yeah, the USPS should drop "service" from their name to comply with truth in advertising laws :lol:

I've recently received two packages (small, lightweight ones containing clothing) from Kentucky. Each of them took 8 full days to go from Kentucky to Texas, a total of about 800 or 900 miles. :(

When doing family research I was going through old records from the late 19th century where my ancestors were jumping through the red tape to collect my g-grandfather's Civil War pension. Two things struck me in going through those files. 1) The government treated its veterans like crap then, just as it does now. 2) It typically took 2 to 3 days for a letter mailed in Southwestern Missouri to reach Washington DC, and be opened and stamped received by a government office. That was in the days of trains and steam locomotives. Now, it takes 3 to 5 days to fly a letter from Missouri to Washington DC, what's wrong with this picture?
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

avanutria wrote: Also I remember hearing that the fees for transactions between the USA and Germany were particularly expensive for some reason.
Germany can be a real pain that we found especially since USPS has canceled their contract with German Deutsche Post and passes it's packages on to a private service GLS. They charge for everything they deliver which is between 10 to 15,-- Euros as a regular fee for the collection of custom fees if applicable and transport expenses inside Germany. Customs starts charging import taxes from about 25 Euros even when clearly stated "present" on it (which is a ridicously low value) import costs 16% VAT and between 1,5% and 3,5% customs fee from our experiences, this is from the value stated. But also UPS or FedEx "do take it from the living" as we say here regarding their handling fees. If sending a parcel with a whistle of some value and want it insured you of course state the correct amount, just in case something happens on the travel so there you go. Either undervalue and loose with a DOA or value correct and pay incoming duties. :cry: I presume this is similar in other EU countries but their values for being taxed is different.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)